A Yellow Streak... Thunderstreak that is.

Hello everyone... I present to you my Republic Thunderstreak. 92nd F.I.S., 81st T.F.W.. Stationed at R.A.F. Manston, Shepherds grove, & Bentwaters in 1955. Outside of a few decals which include the Star & Bars & USAF markings, everything is painted. I opted to load the Mk.7 “Device” on the inboard port station. This was a one way Nuclear strike unit or Tactical support/air-to-air. This was built in the 1950’s NATO Group build. Without further talk i present the model. 

NtP4MFV.jpg

17ghtyL.jpg

Wrw4HGE.jpg

XuBJFH0.jpg

MipGTdk.jpg

bLmZxJh.jpg

QszMp3o.jpg

owfhBCs.jpg

A link to the build.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235049416-a-streaker-from-republic/

Questions, comments, or jokes ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 48
  • Thanks 1

My eyes! My eyes! Had to put my sunglasses on to type this! Nice one, Dennis. Bet it was fun getting a Hog off of the runway with that big honkin' nuke hanging off of it. Might want the crew chief to check the alignment of that nose wheel, though- probably knocked it adrift when going through the over run at the end of the runway whilst attempting a take-off with that nuke!

Mike

Off-topic- do you still need those Matchbox Tempest II/V parts?

• Thanks 1

Great job! I like the colourful markings and the open canopy. Must have been difficult to fix. It looks like the model lifts its hat to say THANK YOU.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Might want the crew chief to check the alignment of that nose wheel, though-

Yeah the fit of the nose gear was fun. I mounted last, Monogram wants it mounted early in the build. However we all know that can be disastrous so had to finagle it in. Its not as bad as the port main gear which is cock-eyed 🤪 due to a tangle with my daughters cat. I had to cut the remains off, drill out the post and pin it. Thanks for the decals but im all good on Tempest parts. Those will be getting an RFI in the next week or two. (finally)😐

1 hour ago, Toryu said:

I like the colourful markings and the open canopy. Must have been difficult to fix.

Thanks it took me awhile to decide which markings to go for. Outside of stencils, Star & bar, & USAF decals. Everything is painted. Monogram designed the canopy quite well it looks tricky but as long as the support arms are solid it goes on pretty easy. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Very nicely done Dennis!  To quote Chevy Chase, "Yeeeesssss!  I like it!".  :frantic:

Now, let's see.  England, F-84F's, and a Shape.  Puts me in mind of Stranger to the Ground albeit slightly more colorful.  I think I'll read my copy again.  That's if my eyes haven't worn the ink off the pages yet.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

I hope those two boxes of kits in the last pic were not left out of the family photo in the 'Chat ' section !

Actually the Hurricane is almost done. It just needs a final assembly. It doesn't have a WIP, i used the metal wing conversion and built it up as a Mk.1 Hurricane from 69 Squadron Malta. Should be here in the RFI next weekend. 

The Heller Tempest Mk.V kit i scratch built a conversion to turn it into a Mk.VI of 6 Squadron Middle east. That will be done in about two weeks. There are also two Spitfires in the mix. The first is an Italeri Mk.Vb in Malta markings for 249 Squadron. The second is a AZ/legato Mk.XIVe converted to an Mk.18 of 208 Squadron from Egypt 1949. Both will be ready in the next two weeks. 

Dennis

Hi Dennis.

What an amazing coincidence.  Today I was having lunch with some ex RAF friends, one of them, an ex RAF Policeman, had brought along some B/W pictures from his service in the 50's at RAF Wittering.  One of the pictures was of an F84F that he was unsure about, so I said that I would try to get some info about it.  The a/c was in silver with a very large tank under the s'board wing, the serial number was 26658, buzz no FS658, and it had an object painted on the fuselage, which I now see is an atom cloud.  Small world.  Robin.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Robin said:

Hi Dennis.

What an amazing coincidence.  Today I was having lunch with some ex RAF friends, one of them, an ex RAF Policeman, had brought along some B/W pictures from his service in the 50's at RAF Wittering.  One of the pictures was of an F84F that he was unsure about, so I said that I would try to get some info about it.  The a/c was in silver with a very large tank under the s'board wing, the serial number was 26658, buzz no FS658, and it had an object painted on the fuselage, which I now see is an atom cloud.  Small world.  Robin.  

Very glad i could help identify the marking for you and your friend. I wish i could have seen some of the RAF Bases in the 40’s-50’s-60’s. 

Dennis