“Mo Beastie grànda !” Or in English “My ugly Beastie !”

“Mo Beastie grànda” or in English My ugly Beastie ! Here I present my Douglas B-18A #3 from the 27th Bomb (Reconnaissance) Squadron, 25th Bomb Group. Borinquen field/Ramey Air Force Base Puerto Rico winter 1939-40, Neutrality Patrol Caribbean.

Its an ugly plane but I've always had a soft spot for the darn thing. When i heard about this build i knew i was going to do an early war or Neutrality patrol aircraft. I owe a # of member’s a great deal of thanks for all the help in getting this one built. This was built in the Maritime patrol group build. Without further talk heres the beast. 

2EgGk9M.jpg

mLITLMU.jpg

bopGmFO.jpg

eGPNgMp.jpg

Hj8Ove6.jpg

C23g1im.jpg

RovcpsT.jpg

WfgngKC.jpg

UPt3FNI.jpg

ZrCzBqV.jpg

A link to the build.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235047060-bolo/

Questions, comments, or jokes ?

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 38

Great finish CC.  It's an unusual aeroplane, with an interesting picture window up front (whatever was the design team thinking).  Looks like it should have chintz curtains and a window box....  But finished really well (like usual), well done...

• Thanks 1

Very lovely build.  Well done.

I'd never heard of this aircraft until I acquired a set of "Aircraft of the Fighting Powers". I thought 'this must be one of "those" drawings from these books they complain about' but then the included photo confirmed it really had fallen out of the fugly tree and then been beaten severely.  Luckily Douglas decided not to compromise with their ugly department and let them rip, so that it's actually so ugly one can't help but love it!

What intrigues me also about this plane is the relatively high number of surviving airframes compared to more well-known or infamous WW2 types!

Cheers Will 

• Thanks 1

Your lovely model makes one forget how ungainly the original looks! The poor thing was the result of Uncle Sam's defense cost minimization. Fortunately they overstretched their budget and also invested in a couple of competing Boeing Model 299 (B-17) prototypes. When I imagine thousands of these pregnant guppy fish creeping across German skies in 1944...

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the likes & very nice compliments. 

4 hours ago, malpaso said:

What intrigues me also about this plane is the relatively high number of surviving airframes compared to more well-known or infamous WW2 types!

Yes i agree

4 hours ago, Gorby said:

Ugly bird, but beautiful model Dennis.

Thanks Gorby👍

3 hours ago, Toryu said:

When I imagine thousands of these pregnant guppy fish creeping across German skies in 1944...

I’d rather not think about that possible what-if scenario.  

14 minutes ago, Mark4700 said:

Strange but it’s ugly but with aspects of beauty at the same time. Excellently executed build though. 

Thats exactly how i feel about them. Very art deco but sad at the same time. The shape as others have said is very cartoon or caricature like. 

• Like 1