Swedish Do 24T questions

ReccePhreak

My friend and I are both going to start on our Italeri 1/72 Dornier Do24T models. I have the old boxing, and wanted to do mine as the one used by Sweden. The instructions have you paint it "Oliv Grun" on the top, with something called "Grau Hellblau" underneath. I read the following profile comment in the Osprey book on Do24 combat units:

Do 24T-3 or Tp 24 (Wk-Nr 3343) of the F2 wing, Flygvapnet, Hägernas, Sweden, circa 1946
Flown to Sweden by deserting flight engineer Heinz Roesch, this is the same aircraft as depicted in Profile 23 after service entry with the F2 wing (Roslagens Flygflottilj). The uppersurfaces were painted in a black-green different from the German or standard Swedish colours. Used in its familiar search and rescue role, the flying boat was subsequently stripped of all paint and given a bare metal look. Replaced by PBY-5A Canso amphibians, it was scrapped in 1951.

Does anybody have any "suggested" model paint colors? I mainly use Testors ModelMaster enamels, but can switch if needed.

Larry

Luftwaffe maritime aircraft were generally painted in RLM 72 and 73, a more blue-ish tint than their land bound counterparts.  I have seen this suggested using Tamiya acrylic's, I haven't used them, myself, so buyer beware!

RLM72-----XF 11
RLM73-----XF 65

Here's another discussion on those colors ...

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tail-Dragon said:

Luftwaffe maritime aircraft were generally painted in RLM 72 and 73, a more blue-ish tint than their land bound counterparts.  I have seen this suggested using Tamiya acrylic's, I haven't used them, myself, so buyer beware!

RLM72-----XF 11
RLM73-----XF 65

I have RLM 72, RLM73 & RLM80 in Testors Modelmaster enamels.

That takes care of the topside green, what about the underside Grau Hellblau?

Larry

49 minutes ago, ReccePhreak said:

I have RLM 72, RLM73 & RLM80 in Testors Modelmaster enamels.

That takes care of the topside green, what about the underside Grau Hellblau?

Larry

I believe the undersides on aircraft in RLM 72/73 were in RLM 65. Maybe the water lightened the shade and made it greyer.

Looking in Kronmärkt (Hellström & Fredin) the scheme likely used for the Do 24 (or Tp 24 as it was designated by the Swedish air force) was meant to be svartgrön (black green) W 84 on top and ljust blågrå (light blue grey) W 26 for the belly. The illustration of the base colour variant (an S 17BS of F2) shows W 84 as an olive green, perhaps a slightly greyish one , while W 26 is alight bluish grey. It's also mentioned there that F2 found the green a bit too bright, and so ended up making their own mix using 40% W 84 and 60 % plain black. Given the comments from Osprey of the Tp 24 getting a not quite standard paint scheme that mix seems like a primary suspect to me. Later in the book W 84 is now called svartgrå (black grey) and described as being slightly darker than FS 24031 and used on the top surface of seaplanes. W 26 (the standard colour for aircraft bellies in the Swedish air force at the time) is described as being a bit greener than FS 26176.

Edited by Parrahs
Spelling

Here is a build from Sweden: http://bjornsmodeller.blogspot.com/2012/08/dornier-do-24-tp-24-revell-172-2009.html

He painted it with a mix of Gunze 309 (FS34079) and rather much black on the top and Gunze 307 (FS36320) with a small amount of Tamiya blue-grey for the bottom.

There is mixed informations of the paint on this aircraft. Some say iti has the standard green top while others say it was "submarine grey". Other sea planes in Sweden were grey. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

I believe the undersides on aircraft in RLM 72/73 were in RLM 65. Maybe the water lightened the shade and made it greyer.

Thanks, @Sturmovik for that. I am still undecided which way to go, with "standard" Luftwaffe colors or with the repainted Swedish colors.

Larry

12 hours ago, Parrahs said:

Looking in Kronmärkt (Hellström & Fredin) the scheme likely used for the Do 24 (or Tp 24 as it was designated by the Swedish air force) was meant to be svartgrön (black green) W 84 on top and ljust blågrå (light blue grey) W 26 for the belly. The illustration of the base colour variant (an S 17BS of F2) shows W 84 as an olive green, perhaps a slightly greyish one , while W 26 is alight bluish grey. It's also mentioned there that F2 found the green a bit too bright, and so ended up making their own mix using 40% W 84 and 60 % plain black. Given the comments from Osprey of the Tp 24 getting a not quite standard paint scheme that mix seems like a primary suspect to me. Later in the book W 84 is now called svartgrå (black grey) and described as being slightly darker than FS 24031 and used on the top surface of seaplanes. W 26 (the standard colour for aircraft bellies in the Swedish air force at the time) is described as being a bit greener than FS 26176.

Thanks @Parrahs for that great info. Since I will be only doing the one plane, I may try to mix some "suitable" colors with my Testors ModelMaster enamels. That blackgreen sounds like what I have read online.

Larry

12 hours ago, Orso said:

Here is a build from Sweden: http://bjornsmodeller.blogspot.com/2012/08/dornier-do-24-tp-24-revell-172-2009.html

He painted it with a mix of Gunze 309 (FS34079) and rather much black on the top and Gunze 307 (FS36320) with a small amount of Tamiya blue-grey for the bottom.

There is mixed informations of the paint on this aircraft. Some say iti has the standard green top while others say it was "submarine grey". Other sea planes in Sweden were grey. 

Thanks @Orso for that link. I may try to mix those colors, but using Testors ModelMaster enamels.

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
  • Like 1

Larry,

IIRC Modelmaster has FS34031, US Army helo drab, in their FS enamels range- I don't know if you have that color on your shelf. It's stock no. 4723.  Modelmaster also has FS36176, dark grey ,stock no. 4754. Hope this helps. The Do-24 is such an elegant-looking flying boat, no matter what scheme it is in. The Netherlands East India-based Do's were pretty neat, as well.

Mike

Mike,

I have three bottles of Modelmaster US Army Helo Drab in enamel, but its number is 2024.

I don't have FS36176 in enamels, it was 2036. I can still find some online, so I may order a bottle.

Thanks for the info. The only decals in my older boxing are for Luftwaffe & Sweden. My other possibility was to do a Royal Thai Navy "What-If" version, if I can find some suitably sized anchor decals in white circles.

Larry