Handley Page HP42/45, Contrail vacuformed 1/72

The locations for the struts are marked in the kit almost everywhere they are needed (not on the aft upper engine gondolas for some reason, so you will have to measure, mark and drill holes as said on the aft part of the upper wing gondolas). Being the kind of person that needs sometimes to learn the lesson twice, I dutifully drilled all holes. But in the back of my mind memories started to creep about another Contrail Dinosaur: the Ineffable Blackburn Kangaroo that I built not long ago. And yes, the locations of the struts (and ailerons, and other things) were totally messed up, so they had to be measured, relocated where needed, etc.
And what do you know! here too, there are discrepancies between the two lower wings, some marks being 2 and 3 millimeters out of place.
While you check this on yours (if you happen to build one), bear also in mind that the distance between struts (fore and aft) is bigger in the upper wing that on the lower wing.
Hence new holes are drilled and the old elegantly plugged with some styrene rod:

IMG_3301+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Moa said:

6 hours ago, Moa said:

That happens to you for trying to use despicable nazis' crap.  Until now I thought better of Martians.

Hang on a minute! They nicked the design from us and anyway they were going cheap in 1945.

6 hours ago, Moa said:

I hear Martians eat them like candy bars. No account for taste.

Sigh...

Many a true word and all that, I actually find the stuff sculpts better with saliva. The downside however, is that it tastes absolutely disgusting.

Martian 👽

6 hours ago, Moa said:

6 hours ago, Moa said:

That happens to you for trying to use despicable nazis' crap.  Until now I thought better of Martians.

6 hours ago, Moa said:

I hear Martians eat them like candy bars. No account for taste.

Sigh...

• Haha 2

Hello Moa !!

What an interesting thread !! And very inspiring one !!

I always loved this aircraft !! And you make her justice !

Luckily enough !! my customers stayed quiet today, so I catch up with the build !!

Really interesting... One was involved in a comic in french, I'll find it back too !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Assembly of the tail continues, and the tail wheel complex is under way. The kit's tail wheel is inaccurate both in shape and size, so it's replaced, as were the main wheels. Furthermore, the injected parts in the kit associated with the tail wheel are laughable miseries, and were mercilessly thrown in the trash can:

IMG_3311+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 8

I finally decided which registration the model will bear (a secret for the moment). Consequently, since that registration had the aft cargo haul, and the kit presents none, the door is drawn with pencil and the part excised, carefully. The actual door did not look like the removed part (it was smooth and had structure behind), so a new one will have to be made to replace it:

IMG_3312+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

In a sequence that very much reminds me of Jorge Luis Borges' "Garden of the forking paths", where every path divides in two, now I have to create that aft cargo haul itself, adding floor and a corrugated bulkhead:

IMG_3313+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 9

All fascinating stuff, and as inspirational as ever. My modelling has been put on hold due to Real Life being so busy at the moment, but this is great stuff for ‘vicarious’ modelling! The top tips for dealing with the various issues with Contrail vacforms are much appreciated, as I’m toying with the idea* of buying a Contrail Vildebeest. Keep plugging away - this is looking great.

Jon

* ie. trying, but failing, to ignore the idea

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, P.1127 said:

I'm really enjoying seeing this come together.

A fantastic build of a fascinating aircraft. Thanks for posting the build. 

P.

Glad you are enjoying it, P.

Cheers

7 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Moa !

Here it is !

Message_pour_l_eternite_Yoko_Tsuno_tome_5

CC

Nice!! thanks for posting!

Cheers

2 hours ago, GrzeM said:

Wow! WOW! WOW!!!

You are very kind.

Cheers

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jonners said:

All fascinating stuff, and as inspirational as ever. My modelling has been put on hold due to Real Life being so busy at the moment, but this is great stuff for ‘vicarious’ modelling! The top tips for dealing with the various issues with Contrail vacforms are much appreciated, as I’m toying with the idea* of buying a Contrail Vildebeest. Keep plugging away - this is looking great.

Jon

* ie. trying, but failing, to ignore the idea

Thanks, Jon, glad it can be useful and entertaining.

Cheers

• Like 1

Almost every model I have seen so far made form this kit presents a problem regarding the insertion of the lower wing in the fuselage. It is usually solved with a flat butt joint not shaping the corrugations on a curve, but that's not how things are in reality.

2664858-gettyimages.jpg

3376434-m.jpg

The issue is that the kit's fuselage cross section is (surprise!) not very accurate, and it's more boxy (squarish) than it should be. The drawing bellow shows the differences with some exaggeration -but not much-, to make the point:

IMG_3320+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

You can see that the lower half of the wing extends further, while it should be the upper half the one that should do it, since it "mounts" over the fuselage in real life:

IMG_3321+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

This is how things should be (as per the real thing), and the pencil line shows what photos of the real plane show :

IMG_3322+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Not only that, but the wing should be inserted with a noticeable angle of incidence:

IMG_3323+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

This means that some complex shaping will have to take place on both lower wings to accomplish a realistic joint, plus meet the spar, plus achieve to be symmetric to the other wing, in all axis. Trembling and biting nails yet?

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Moa said:

Almost every model I have seen so far made form this kit presents a problem regarding the insertion of the lower wing in the fuselage. It is usually solved with a flat butt joint not shaping the corrugations on a curve, but that's not how things are in reality.

2664858-gettyimages.jpg

3376434-m.jpg

The issue is that the kit's fuselage cross section is (surprise!) not very accurate, and it's more boxy (squarish) than it should be. The drawing bellow shows the differences with some exaggeration -but not much-, to make the point:

IMG_3320+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

You can see that the lower half of the wing extends further, while it should be the upper half the one that should do it, since it "mounts" over the fuselage in real life:

IMG_3321+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

This is how things should be (as per the real thing), and the pencil line shows what photos of the real plane show :

IMG_3322+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Not only that, but the wing should be inserted with a noticeable angle of incidence:

IMG_3323+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

This means that some complex shaping will have to take place on both lower wings to accomplish a realistic joint, plus meet the spar, plus achieve to be symmetric to the other wing, in all axis. Trembling and biting nails yet?

The last comment says it all really: this is a b......r of a job to get right. However I am entirely confident that you already have a cunning plan and will reveal all to us mere mortal modellers in due course...

P.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Moa said:

Holy corrugations, Batman!

You're not kidding!

1 hour ago, Moa said:

...and maintain the correct wingspan. And yes, nail biting it is :frantic:

Stuart

• Haha 2