Handley Page HP42/45, Contrail vacuformed 1/72

1 hour ago, Patrik said:

I love the thread, as it makes me feel every page less and less nerd and helps me find the strength to push my own stones up the hill, though I know only too well, that as soon as I am on the peak with the recent one, another one is waiting for me right at the foot of the hill. Amazing work.

Thanks Patrik.

Glad you are enjoying the thread.

Half the fun of this build has been sharing it with fellow modelers.

Cheers

• Like 1

The remaining decals, antenna wire and four masts, air klaxon, the lost wind-driven generator prop, the weight for the trailing antenna, all the Campbell Soup cans, the hatches lids, two additional rigging wires for the tail, and so on and so forth, are now added:

IMG_6182+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The hubcaps to anchor the external rods of the mudguards -that I forgot- are made:

IMG_6183+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 14

We have ready the Kegresse tractor to pull it on the tarmac, but I would like to build at least the smaller step stairs seen in some photos.My original plan was to build the long boarding sleeve also seen in photos, plus the front door boarding tall stair, but I confess that after all the time the build has taken I feel rather exhausted.

We will see.

In any case I think I may see you all eventually on the other side (the completed model post).

Cheers

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, DMC said:

Impressive progress from one post to the next, Moa.  Have you chained yourself to the bench?

Dennis 

I don’t think he sleeps.

AW

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, DMC said:

Impressive progress from one post to the next, Moa.  Have you chained yourself to the bench?

Dennis 

Word is that the bench grew out of Moa organically. 

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

The devil is in the detail and you're supplying lots of it.

As you're heading towards completion, I came across a subject that was 'right up your street', Short Mayo Composite or have you built one already. I'm tempted myself but...

Stuart

Do not tempt me, Stuart!

I would beat the metal from the Short-Mayo composite into a Ring of Power, to the doom of us all!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

The devil is in the detail and you're supplying lots of it.

As you're heading towards completion, I came across a subject that was 'right up your street', Short Mayo Composite or have you built one already. I'm tempted myself but...

Stuart

Good plan Stuart, let's keep putting daft ideas in his head.

3 minutes ago, Moa said:

Yeah. sure, now you are pretending you guys did not grew a bench.

Well, I grew a "modeller's shelf" out of my very own stomach, so why not?

Martian 👽

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Some H.P.42s had a small reinforcement strut, but not Heracles:

small+strut.jpg

The step stair is close to completion. The Arctic Decals sheet includes a metallic ink lettering image for the stair steps, as seen in photos:

IMG_6234+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

A few more details (that I caught when I took the "rehearsal" photos, exactly for that purpose), and if everything goes right with those last additions the model will be ready:

IMG_6230+%25281233x1280%2529.jpg

IMG_6233+%25281280x1273%2529.jpg

This is the largest model I built so far, and I realized that I haven't a big enough "tarmac" or "grass airfield" for it, nor can I do the interior photo-shooting because it exceeds the size of my normal setting.

We´ll see what we can do tomorrow:

IMG_6219+%25281280x923%2529.jpg

IMG_6211+%25281280x860%2529.jpg

If weather and schedule allows, tomorrow I will be doing the photo session.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Moa said:

Little time???

It took seven months!

In the interim I could only build about ten other models!

It took an outrageous amount of time!

One thing is for sure: I don't want to build another Contrail H.P.42 EVER AGAIN.

Yes Seven months but for a vacu kit like this that is not a lot in my eyes 😅

• Haha 1

Really really beautiful.  It was a great pleasure watching this majestic model coming together.

I like the old BW photo of the passengers boarding, looks like the cast of an Agatha Christie whodunnit.

AW

• Thanks 1