Handley Page HP42/45, Contrail vacuformed 1/72

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

I must admit that I want one for my 1940 obsession. It’s such an unlikely aircraft to carry military markings, but I know you dislike the military side of the aviation, understandably so. I like to think my obsession is a form of tribute to all those who served and sadly died during the 39-45 conflict.

I understand the feeling, and surely without many of those men and women many of us wouldn't be here. And the world most likely wouldn't exist as we know it.

But my hope is that we don't have to kill people or get people killed to honor them.

My hope is that we could honor living teachers, and bricklayers, and caregivers, and bus drivers, and scientists and grandmas.

I am not naive, I know the world we live on.

That's exactly why we have to start somewhere.

We are not kids anymore playing with soldiers, we know the reality of it (or should know) and the power of images and objects, we know how symbols operate.

Every object meaning resonates, one way or another, within us and others. Think of a knife or a flower, a cloud or a gallows. Now think about models.

Why are we so obsessed with war? I will bet that the number of civil types far exceeds the number of military planes, yet they constitute maybe 90% of the content in the hobby. I see entire contest tables or vendor displays or museum exhibits with 100% of military content.

Is that who we are? is that what we are?

May be we could celebrate life and joy instead (or at least as much) as we honor death and sacrifice.

Anyway, too serious for this context, but I just can't let it go, it's a matter of awareness. I apologize if I make anyone uncomfortable.

Now, back to the model and more uplifting thoughts.

P/S: I blame my Greek precursor, the philosopher, olive pitter and modeler Styrenides (5th century B.S.) and my teachers at the Shaolin Modeling Monastery, Master Sandpaper and Master Gluedfingers.

P/S 2:

A note I posted long ago on Styrenides:

The great Greek philosopher, modeler and olive pitter Styrenides, in the eleven volumes of his “Brief Comments on How to Better Understand Why the Cutter Fell Exactly on Your Foot With its Pointy End Down” describes, in parables, the fascinating world of model-making.

Styrenides even includes some paragraphs dictated by his wife, Methyl Ethyl Ketone –presumably under the threat of the imminent fall of a kitchen rolling pin- about the delights and secret pleasures of finding parts –very small parts- that (as it is explained in the Theory of the Membranes) are snatched into parallel dimensions.

Fame nevertheless systematically eluded Styrenides. The cause may be found in the fact that his 1/72 scale model airplanes were made before the airplane itself was invented. Or perhaps one could argue that Styrenides had to carve his vast literary production in stone, mainly in the frontispieces of public buildings, for which he was accused of engraving graffiti.

Styrenides was eventually ostracized to Argentina, which was indeed a very harsh punishment; but since Argentina at that time neither existed nor could be reached, he managed to stay home.

At the end of his hard-working life he repudiated model-making and took on politics, becoming instantly rich and famous and appearing at guest-shows in a number of amphitheaters.

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

I knew, as I was taking measures from the plan to make the struts, that their relation to reality (i.e. : the model) would be vague, to put it mildly, so I made only a partial set, and left the rest for now, that the first group is in position, to take measures directly from the model in order to make the remaining eight struts the right length. Here are a few (on the desk, to the right of the model):

IMG_6174+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 16

O Moa that procedure for putting in the struts looks so familiar....and I must write, from experience, the best one that I know of. It seems that no matter how carefully we measure, cut/carve, sand, etc the model is never the same size as the plans we work from.

This really is a magnificent piece of modelling and a build log with so many useful tips for others to follow. I just hope that some will do so - this is a treasure trove of ideas and techniques.

P

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, pheonix said:

This really is a magnificent piece of modelling and a build log with so many useful tips for others to follow. I just hope that some will do so - this is a treasure trove of ideas and techniques.

Heartily seconded!

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pheonix said:

O Moa that procedure for putting in the struts looks so familiar....and I must write, from experience, the best one that I know of. It seems that no matter how carefully we measure, cut/carve, sand, etc the model is never the same size as the plans we work from.

P

P, you are exceedingly kind. Abler modelers (and there are scores, many right here at BM) would do no doubt a better job, but one has to be satisfied with a fair replica.

And yes, the purpose of this building logs is to help fellow modelers (as one was and is helped) in their modeling endeavors. Documenting a build adds many hours to the process, but it's a way to share (since we build mostly in solitude) and to lend a hand to an unknown fellow modeler down the road.

Cheers

• Like 2

The beast is taking shape well. It is too bad it will be "hangared" shortly after it is finished. This part of the build is probably the most challenging one on this model and I'm very happy to see how you're progressing. I'm paying close attention as I have a Bücker Jungmann in my future which will need surgery, careful building (limited run kit), rigging, careful painting and custom decals. I'm pleased to tell you it will be a civilian one, despite my interest in powerful piston fighters (from their performance and lines, not their firepower).

Cheers,

Wlad

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marklo said:

Amazing, you must be pleased with that one.

Thanks Marklo.

Yes and no.

I am glad I built it, it looks nice and surely I enjoy it, but there are things that could have been better.

Pity this is not one of those cases when you would say: "I will build another one to correct all the things I didn't like the first time"

Too darn difficult!

Cheers

• Like 2

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

She's looking fantastic, on the home straight now!

Ian

Thanks Ian

As the Ents would say: "Let's not be hasty" 😄

There is a stretch to cover yet, and it's not easy to manipulate the beast to add things now.

I knocked things a number of times already, so far nothing that wasn't remedied or can't be remedied, but most of the knocks surprisingly did not loose or brake anything.

But one must "keep calm and add details on" 🧐

Cheers

• Like 2

Things still to add:

Diagonal struts

Collection of recycled beans tin cans along the upper fuselage.

Antenna masts and wire

Cross wires on external struts

Control wires between the two wings

Front door

Back door

Aft cargo bay door

Decals on upper wing

Slats and linkages

Air klaxon

Flare dispensers

All The Other Things I will find I forgot to add and only realize after taking the photos.

She's looking a right, proper HP.42 now, Claudio! Splendid work (as always; why if I had one-third of your talent - wait a tick, I do have one-third of your talent, just...).

Best Regards,

Jason

• Haha 2

Looking beautifully BIG!

42 minutes ago, Moa said:

Things still to add:

Diagonal struts....

Flare dispensers

All The Other Things I will find I forgot to add and only realize after taking the photos.

...propellers, can't do now't without propellers.

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Looking beautifully BIG!

...propellers, can't do now't without propellers.

Stuart

See, I told you! 😄

51 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

If you can write a list that doesn’t go on for ever it proves you are on the home straight! Beautiful build of a beautiful (in the eye of the beholder, right?) aeroplane.

Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian

Let's add the oil coolers, which I just glued on 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

She's looking a right, proper HP.42 now, Claudio! Splendid work (as always; why if I had one-third of your talent - wait a tick, I do have one-third of your talent, just...).

Best Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason

I think the only talent I have is persistence.

After I finish one, I see how far I am from having the model I envisioned.

Hence comes the other, and the next...

Reluctant Sisyphus

• Like 2

I love the thread, as it makes me feel every page less and less nerd and helps me find the strength to push my own stones up the hill, though I know only too well, that as soon as I am on the peak with the recent one, another one is waiting for me right at the foot of the hill. Amazing work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1