Handley Page HP42/45, Contrail vacuformed 1/72

4 hours ago, Moa said:

Solder is drilled on one end, and attached to a pin that is part of the exhaust ring of the engines. Once in place it will be bent according to photos. The two lower ones had what looks like silencers, perhaps for the benefit of the passengers:

They were more likely cuffs for cabin heating rather than silencers, but still of benefit to the passengers though.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Aeronut said:

They were more likely cuffs for cabin heating rather than silencers, but still of benefit to the passengers though.

Thanks Aeronut, very likely, since an air scoop can be seen at the front of the sleeve, and what appears to be a section of duct going perpendicular from the back of the sleeve to the nacelle (and from there via duct to the cabin, perhaps?)

Heracles went through some changes during its life, and photos show either the four exhausts so equipped or just the external two.

Cheers

Interesting photos, Moa.

On another matter:  I am currently reading a book about Amelia Earhart and have an Internet in the Electra 10E.  Any chance of you putting your build thread on BM?  I’ve been through it but the pics are quite small. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DMC said:

Interesting photos, Moa.

On another matter:  I am currently reading a book about Amelia Earhart and have an Internet in the Electra 10E.  Any chance of you putting your build thread on BM?  I’ve been through it but the pics are quite small. 

Dennis

Hi Dennis

Do those links show like photos? they are actually movie newsreel clips, they can even be opened in a larger format.

I just checked and have no issues viewing them. If you hover the arrow on the picture, the movie commands appear.

Also confused about the WiP of the Electra, the photos are not small (I just checked too):

25 minutes ago, Moa said:

Also confused about the WiP of the Electra

Ah! I saw them on your blog, didn’t realise they were on here.  Thank you, I’ll enjoy looking at them.

Dennis

In my thermoluminescent and unfathomable wisdom I realized that, contrary to custom, in this particular case, decals should be applied before final assembly and detailing, considering how magnificently encumbering will be trying to operate the lumbering giant once finished,  turning it this way and that, with all those prickly and delicate things and its massive bearing:

IMG_6011+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_6012+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 12

The engines of the upper wing are glued on, their exhausts anchored. Their positions (asymmetrical) are mirrored, the right engine (viewed form the front) external exhaust coming from 4 o'clock relative to the engine, and the internal at 10 o'clock (i.e. the internal pipes will be shorter):

IMG_6018+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The heat exchanger sleeves (mirrored) for the external exhausts of the lower engines are fabricated. They will be painted, anchored to the nacelles, and then the pipe coming from the engine inserted:

IMG_6019+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Andwil said:

More splendid work Moa, I reckon this might be your best one yet.

AW

2 hours ago, Jinxman said:

That looks fine, just fine.

Thanks AW and Jinxman.

I am cautiously pleased. It's a longer haul than anticipated, but again, it is a veritable monster with lots of detail. Every time I look at photos I find more details, and we know that some times those details varied with time.

I started to apply some decals, and looking at earlier notes I wrote I have to decide now which decals to apply (all are included in the Arctic Decals set), since the nose area appears in photos (for the same plane, Hercules) with and without a round crest, and with and without the Imperial Airways legend.

Furthermore, the fuselage appears with and without the same legend (in bigger characters of course), and with and without the Royal Mail crest, being substituted by a the dash of the registrations, or an empty Royal Mail crest field with a dash.

The area at the right to the door also appears with and without a legend too.

Needless to say all this options are time-correlated, so it's not a matter of choosing what pleases you, the choices have to be aligned in time, be contemporaries.

We also know that Heracles had four blade props (as depicted here) and also crossed-over, superimposed two blade props, plus slightly different bits dangling, and of those some changed in aspect with time (like the flare tubes).

Heat exchange additions are seen always on the exterior-side exhaust pipes of the lower engines, but some times also on the interior-side pipes.

So we are here for a long sarabande, a large notepad, and a pencil -with its sharpener.

The large size of the model makes handling interesting, and I already knocked down (and lost) the wind-driven generator prop and a tail linkage, all to be replaced in due time, of course.

• Like 3

Hi Moa

Sorry I haven't visited for a while, I have to agree with the others you are a craftsman. This is one beautiful model and I am in awe of your skills. The model is most impressive and I have to say that the chrome window frames look absolutely top drawer.

Great work.

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

She is looking magnificent, Moa! You are a craftsman.

Martin

9 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Very much this. I sit, gazing, slack-jawed and filled with envy. Lovely work.

8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Moa

Sorry I haven't visited for a while, I have to agree with the others you are a craftsman. This is one beautiful model and I am in awe of your skills. The model is most impressive and I have to say that the chrome window frames look absolutely top drawer.

Great work.

All the best

Chris

Thanks Heather, Martin, Chris for your nice comments.

The charm of the original type makes for 90% of what you very kindly see as craftsmanship.

Cheers!

• Like 1

I have also not dropped by recently so have just spent a very enjoyable time catching up. The extra details are making this a truly exemplary blog and model:so many interesting and useful tips on how to deal with those tricky but important issues with super-detailing. Thanks for all of them.

P

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pheonix said:

I have also not dropped by recently so have just spent a very enjoyable time catching up. The extra details are making this a truly exemplary blog and model:so many interesting and useful tips on how to deal with those tricky but important issues with super-detailing. Thanks for all of them.

P

Thanks P

My own perception is that I learn more tricks to fix things that I mess up than tips to make things right :banghead:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3