Handley Page HP42/45, Contrail vacuformed 1/72

7 hours ago, Marklo said:

I am currently bidding (and winning) on an Airfix HP42, 3 hours to go. 25euro,  including the shipping, fingers crossed.

I won, yay. mOf course mine will only be half the size of Moa's but I'm used to that in life :)

Congrats, Marklo, another HP42 will ply the modeling skies!

Best Beloved and I paid a visit to Bekonscot model village at the weekend. Bekonscot is situated in the town of Beaconsfield, just to the north-west of London here in Blighty, and is reputed to be the oldest model village in the world. 2019 sees them celebrate their 90th birthday. Link to the site, if anyone is interested in finding out more.

Anyway, all self-respecting model villages of any repute must have a model aerodrome, and Bekonscot is no different. I couldn't help but share this, so I hope Moa doesn't mind.

48585003347_94cb0a072b_b.jpg

It's been given the name "Horatius", and while the village as a whole is pretty much to a scale of 1/32nd, this one is a bit on the small side. Fun, though, don't you think?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

It's been given the name "Horatius", and while the village as a whole is pretty much to a scale of 1/32nd, this one is a bit on the small side. Fun, though, don't you think?

Nice, Heather!

Interesting that whilst the name is correct the registration isn't.

We visited a similar model village in the Costwolds, but no airfield there.

The registration may refer to the model builder. Bekonscot is famed for little in-jokes like that. 

It's the first time I’ve had the chance to visit, and I find I thoroughly recommend it as a day out, especially if you have little ones. They all seemed to really enjoy peeping into the buildings.

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2019 at 9:30 AM, Heather Kay said:

t's the first time I’ve had the chance to visit, and I find I thoroughly recommend it as a day out, especially if you have little ones. They all seemed to really enjoy peeping into the buildings.

Found a few images of that little scale village in the Costwolds

7482137042_f16d936411_k.jpg

7482138078_edef5b2c28_k.jpg

• Like 7

Got my 42 in the post today, quite diminutive, riggings going to be fun..... Might bump this one to the front of the queue (well, maybe not the front but next after the JI), which at the rate I'm going will be done in a matter of weeks)

• Like 1

And the fun begins... I was wondering when the struttery would be worked on. Looking great so far, and I foresee some interesting sessions ahead as the upper wing is added.

Question: what is that part on the right side, curiously resembling an Anson fuselage? 😉

Cheers,

Wlad

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wlad said:

Question: what is that part on the right side, curiously resembling an Anson fuselage? 😉

Cheers,

Wlad

That, Wlad, is Austin Powers' grandfather's (Sir Reginald Archibald Cuthbert Powers) secret vehicle (sources on MI69 supposedly name it "shag-a-go", but I am skeptical), carried on the HP42 aft fuselage section for his missions.

Ask no more.

• Haha 3

On 21/08/2019 at 21:49, Moa said:

Found a few images of that little scale village in the Costwolds

7482137042_f16d936411_k.jpg

7482138078_edef5b2c28_k.jpg

Bourton-on-the Water, Gloucestershire I believe. Visited it many times as a young Martian.

22 hours ago, Moa said:

and one more painting session:

IMG_5860+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

I don't think those parts, excellent as they are, are not going to look very good on the Anson. Have you got muddled or have I? On second thoughts, don't answer that.

Confused of Mars 👽

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Visited it many times as a young Martian.

I was misinformed, and told that Martians come out of their cocoons as completely formed adults.

4 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I don't think those parts, excellent as they are, are not going to look very good on the Anson. Have you got muddled or have I? On second thoughts, don't answer that.

Confused of Mars 👽

Read my reply to Wlad. Shhhhh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The door is being dressed, including a placard from the Arctic Decals set:

IMG_5862+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Other parts have been painted and sealed (oil coolers and vents). A garland seen in photos is added to the door, above the placard.

The aerial klaxon used in British planes of the time (invented by some @general melchett or other) can be seen in the foreground:

IMG_5864+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Struts, Venturis, generator prop, etc., already painted and sealed:

IMG_5865+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 10

25 minutes ago, Moa said:

I was misinformed, and told that Martians come out of their cocoons as completely formed adults.

I don't think so. Otherwise Mrs Martian would not have spent the last 31 years telling my to grow up. I just tell her that getting older is inevitable but growing up is optional and I have well over 20,00 Britmodellers to prove it!

Martian 👽

(The Peter Pan of Mars) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

The aerial klaxon used in British planes of the time (invented by some @general melchett or other) can be seen in the foreground:

It was the only way to get the battles started and stopped on time...I had a busy social calendar back then, many self-aggrandizing functions to grace and deals to be struck that simply couldn't be affected by sloppy time management...

Nice work on the klaxon...does it go 'Beeeeargh' as originally designed or simply yell 'Ahooogah'?

• Haha 11

More amazing details Moa. This is coming to completion at last - well it will if you get the struts at the correct angles - always a bit of a nail biter in my experience. The extra detaisl that you are adding are really turning this into another of your mini-masterpieces and providing the rest of us with a very interesting reference source.

P

• Thanks 1

Solder is drilled on one end, and attached to a pin that is part of the exhaust ring of the engines. Once in place it will be bent according to photos. The two lower ones had what looks like silencers, perhaps for the benefit of the passengers:

IMG_5903+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Four new elements (diagonal streamlined braces and rods going back on the wing) were added to the L.G. assembly, as well as the two lower oil coolers:

IMG_5905+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 18