Handley Page HP42/45, Contrail vacuformed 1/72

7 hours ago, dnl42 said:

From my experience, PE is more likely to disappear in a hyperspace jump. 

Nah, I would have come across tons of the stuff on my interstellar travels.

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, Unkempt said:

I have a carpet monster that bizarrely lives on hardwood flooring. He's currently digesting a double helping of tiger moth windscreens, but I can't work out how.

Then I must have a concrete critter in my basement room. I still haven't found that carb intake from my Hurricane a year ago! Thankfully, member @Procopius sent me a spare that he had.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The usual approach of handling and painting all the model's components at the same time was not practical here, so early on I decided to treat this build as composed of one monoplane, a flying wing (the upper wing) and a medium size biplane (tail unit).
The tail is ready for its rigging, and now the monoplane is getting close to its final stages:

IMG_5445+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_5446+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_5447+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 14

Super painting with different shades/tones.

Glad to read that others have problems with carpet/wood/concrete monsters: it is even more frustrating when these evil demons make carefully scratch built parts disappear down a wormhole....

P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2019 at 3:45 AM, Moa said:

As I was preparing for the next airbrushing session I went to look for some hatches and other miscellaneous bits I needed to paint, (at this point I have four boxes with parts).

None of the boxes had the parts I was looking for.

With increasing anxiety, I looked on the many other boxes where I keep parts for the current projects (Anson, Bristol Racer, Short Cockle, Junkers Ju-52).... and nothing.

I resigned myself to having to wait to re-discover the parts in my 90's, when I perhaps would be doing the Blackburn Golgotha (and to all the carpet monster jokes @Martian Hale would make), when it occurred to me to look in the bin where I keep the scraps.

And, fortunately, they were there.

Phew!

Now... where was the nozzle of the airbrush?

Now you see what you have done !!

Saving and caring of carpet monsters !! Tsss !! Incredibly dangerous job !!

This monster is closely connected to Jeremiah the bin and slurpy the vacuum cleaner !!

Blackburn Golgotha ??? Are you kidding ?? :crap:

Great job Moa ! I like the way you work the differents shades of metal !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/9/2019 at 10:44 AM, Marklo said:

As a fan of science, I just can't believe this carpet monster thing, it's just ridiculous,.... It's clearly a teeny tiny quantum singularity that is located somewhere in my study, granted probably around the carpet area and (also)  clearly of insufficient mass to pull in anything but the smallest model sub components, I'd say around 10 to the power of  minus a very  large number.  Of course this then begs the question if it's the same quantum singularity that's responsible for socks ( which of course means that socks must be a special case in quantum physics, because clearly a sock has more mass than say a 1/48 scale undercarriage door)  or maybe I have many teeny tiny quantum singularities in my home of varying (but still teeny tiny) size. hmmm

On a (slightly) more sane note the HP is extremely impressive so far it has spurred me on to A) buy an Airfix HP0/400 kit. B ) Start figuring out how to do Corrugations C ) start a Junkers J1  D ) Continue to scour ebay for a HP42 kit at a price I'm prepared to pay and E ) vaguely consider scratchbuilding one (although I try not to if there is a kit in the scale I want)  Hmmm (again)

How is this possible ??

In that precise case, blame the lepprechauns !! Even if you call them yeeny tiny quantum !! :whistle:

If you consider the scratchbuilding an HP42, then do it to 1/32 in order to counter the effects of the lepprequantumchauns !!

Then it will be too big a part for the carpet monster... 

So are you going to deny the Banshees too ?? :rofl2:

Sincerely

CC

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

A neat and tidy tail unit there.

Can you remind me, what do you use for your rigging?

Stuart

There you see ceramic wire, but I also use on models very thin wire and fishing mono-filament.

My attempts with the stretchable stuff have produced dismal results so far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

How thin is the ceramic wire? I have some .06mm wire that I use when strength is not important but accuracy is.

Ian

Hi Ian

The package says 6 mil, whatever is that in this barbaric system of measures I have been exposed to in my late years*.

These medieval ignoramus have yet to adopt the metric system.

*(0.15 mm, that is a tenth of a millimeter and a half, but you say you have wire that is six hundredths of a millimeter?)

Time to get friendly with a spider then! (but probably back in the UK, where they don't bite and kill you...)

Oh yeah, we happen to have  found a  couple (possibly a lot ) of False widows so we're getting there, which happen to be well hard compared to indigenous spiders so are rapidly spreading,  granted nothing like California with the Black widow and Brown Recluse, but......

16 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Time to get friendly with a spider then! (but probably back in the UK, where they don't bite and kill you...)

As @Marklo alludes, last year a guy in our village was bitten by a spider on his leg - probably a false widow. The bite became very badly poisonous and at one point it was thought he might lose his lower leg! Took around 6 months to finally calm down. He now has a large permanent scar.

On a lighter note, this is a cracking build Moa. Really starting to look like that graceful yet in some ways also cumbersome aircraft. 

Terry

• Like 1

I am currently bidding (and winning) on an Airfix HP42, 3 hours to go. 25euro,  including the shipping, fingers crossed.

I won, yay. mOf course mine will only be half the size of Moa's but I'm used to that in life :)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Marklo said:

I am currently bidding (and winning) on an Airfix HP42, 3 hours to go. 25euro,  including the shipping, fingers crossed.

I won, yay. mOf course mine will only be half the size of Moa's but I'm used to that in life :)

Congrats Marklo !

25€ is a good price for this kit !

Sincerely.

CC