Handley Page HP42/45, Contrail vacuformed 1/72

The original plane had walkways around the engine nacelles, so those are replicated with alu foil:

IMG_4541+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The key part of the build, one that will determine the alignment of the whole structure, is sorely misrepresented by the kit engineering.
We have determined early in the build that the lower wings DO NOT butt-join the fuselage on its sides where it's flat, but instead the top skin mounts over the fuselage top in the shape of an arc (as photos of the original plane show), and the bottom of the lower wing is what touches the fuselage side.
This implies adjusting the root to a complex and changing shape, not to mention that the wing has also incidence.
I devised previously a spar-and-socket anchoring method, and now have to adjust both wing roots in all axis, as I install the sockets inside them with epoxy.
Below you can see the hole where the spar will go:

IMG_4542+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

And below the very beginnings of the shaping of the root.
Again, this is by far the most sensitive part of the building. Not only that, but butt-joining as the kit suggests displaces the lower wings by a whole centimeter out, producing down the lane strut geometry issues (since the lower wing span is inaccurately increased):

IMG_4543+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 12

Slowly and little by little the proper shape is given at the wing root to match the fuselage:

IMG_4574+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_4575+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_4578+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Unfortunately, to add the carb intakes , for no valid reason, I had followed the nacelle mold partition line as a true horizontal reference, which was an incorrect assumption, so a new reference line is traced to later re-position the intakes parallel to the ground:

IMG_4579+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 11

The HP42 is seen in many photos being pulled by a small vehicle, a Citroën auto-chenille kegreese P-17 (a half-track vehicle). A good friend (thanks!) was very kind and generous and sent a resin kit of that vehicle as a gift. Here we see the contents. This is a typical kit of cottage industry, with its pros and cons. It needs careful cleanup and the instructions are not at all what they should for a kit, so references are a must. No doubt when completed this will be a nice addition that will enhance the model presentation. Arctic Decals produces the "Imperial Airways" lettering for the vehicle, seen in the references linked at the bottom of this post:

IMG_4571+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Parts cleanup. The detail is good and much care has been put into the masters, but the molding process created some mismatches and rough spots, nothing insurmountable, though. There are parts for many version, many won't be used here. A few fragile bits, as it often happens with resins, broke in transit:

IMG_4572+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The drawing leaves much to be desired and can't really be used for any serious purposes, so plans and photos need to be consulted:

IMG_4573+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

I can see on the net other 1/72 offerings for this vehicle that can be considered instead. One is from Mil-Mod, another resin; other is by ACE, but it is a different mark of the same vehicle (have to check compatibility of the chassis to see if it is any good for this project). I have a couple vehicles from ACE and I like what I see in the boxes, plus they are injected plastic, not resin.

This PDF is a good reference, showing the vehicle and the HP42:

http://www.kegresse.dk/assets/croydon-airport.pdf

And another old newsreel of the plane:

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/blazing-the-air-trail/

• Like 12

Wonderful attention to very small details, but more importantly, getting the position of the lower wing right. That looks to have been a real test of patience (and much else besides I suspect, but we will leave that....). This is truly a masterclass in how to build a vacuform properly.

P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now, before I incur the wrath of the BM Olympians, let me say in my defense that I will just post the following images of the towing vehicle because they belong to this build.

I will later post more images but only after completed and ready to accompany The Beast

I wash small parts in a fine mesh coffee filter cup in order not to lose them:

IMG_4580+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Assembly begins, some fiddling needed. To the right the discarded parts not pertinent to this variant:

IMG_4591+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The flat top in place:

IMG_4592+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

A few details added (hook, eyelet, sides of seat).
The model is now ready for basic painting:

IMG_4593+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Photos show some variations of the vehicles, no doubt through the years of service or perhaps season (some have partial small canopies), so base your model in one of your choice.

• Like 8

The lower wings are glued in place, a somewhat tense operation as one half went in and was adjusted for angle of incidence and swept -while the fast-curing  epoxy was setting-, and then the other matching the first. The overlapping portion was sanded from bellow, but there is some more filing, filling and sanding to be done to better blend the surfaces. All in all, satisfied that this went on without major crisis:

IMG_4599+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_4601+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_4602+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 20

The struts that run from nacelle to LG leg are prepared now:

IMG_4609+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

You may have noticed the careful pace lately, needed not to invalidate the work done so far by some clumsy boo-boo.

And yet again, I never promised a rose garden when all this started, having warned all of the long-haul nature of this project.

After preparing the wing struts (that need measurement, shaping, pinning and the like) I may be getting ready to do some painting. My intention is to keep tail, struts, slats, and upper wing separated for that stage to facilitate matters, then general assembly and the many little details (tomato cans, vents, wires, scoops, pitchforks, harpoons, scythes and the like that bristle on the surface of this Gentle Giant).

Before all that, though, all struts have to be made and dry-trials of upper wing carried on.

The tugging vehicle received today a first coat of paint, and I want to scratch (although we'll see...) either a boarding stair or the long covered boarding sleeve seen in many photos used to prevent the ladies from loosing their hats and scarfs -and even their dignity- due to the propwash.

• Like 8

You won't want to see one of these after your done. I thought the control cables to the top wing would have something covering them. Might be a flying elephant, lion  or something that could get hit by them.

• Haha 2

I went away for a while and, surprise! The bus has lower wings now. Great job on the wing roots.

Cheers,
Wlad

• Thanks 1