Handley Page HP42/45, Contrail vacuformed 1/72

5 hours ago, StephenCJ said:

I just sent this to Airfix:

Could you please find it in your hearts to do a 1/72 scale Empire Flying Boat and a 1/72 Handley Page HP42/45. This would make a Yank and an Aussie very happy, and our wives probably not so happy. More money going on wonderful Airfix Kits. Thank you Stephen.

I wonder if we will get anywhere?

Add to that an AW Argosy and an AW Ensign please or the Mayo composite?

Steve

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, StephenCJ said:

Could you please find it in your hearts to do a 1/72 scale Empire Flying Boat and a 1/72 Handley Page HP42/45. This would make a Yank and an Aussie very happy, and our wives probably not so happy. More money going on wonderful Airfix Kits. Thank you Stephen.

I can assure you that they are CNCing the masters as we speak...

(but just in case, pull a chair and a good book....1,600,000 pages long)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, StephenCJ said:

More seriously, it would so great if they could do it, the best of British aviation history, a momentous era of travel and discovery, a time when the world was still mysterious and travel was still an adventure. An era of glamour and luxury never equalled,

I can dream of all those big birds, the one here, HP42; the old A.W. Argosy, Short Scyllas and Kents...

It would be Airfix's pinnacle of glory.

• Like 5

10 to 15 years ago I met by chance a former employee of the Matchbox team.. (he had noticed I was reading a model magazine article on the Airfix Nimrod in a local cafe here in N Z ) he casually mentioned that he had worked for Matchbox and that they had been planning a Nimrod before they went bust . (I'm not sure if that was common knowledge at that time but it was true ) Anyway he sat at my table and talked about some of the other pipe dreams Matchbox were planning including a 1/72 HP 42 ! As a larger Gold series kit ....... (curse you Maggie Thatcher !) Other subjects apparently under serious consideration were a Short Singapore  (as an aside at a NZ toy fair in 86-ish I was told by the Matchbox importer they they were doing a 4 engine RNZAF biplane flying boat in a year or two ...which could only have been a Singapore ) an Overstrand ,Hendon and Fairey IIIF ! ..... I recall asking him if the Emhar Demon and Fury had been Matchbox molds in development (They had always looked like Matchbox tools to me ) and he said they were finished and released by two ex Matchbox employees (which at the time wasn't known but is also apparently true )  ....if only this alternate Time line for Matchbox had come to pass!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Neil Lambess said:

10 to 15 years ago I met by chance a former employee of the Matchbox team.. (he had noticed I was reading a model magazine article on the Airfix Nimrod in a local cafe here in N Z ) he casually mentioned that he had worked for Matchbox and that they had been planning a Nimrod before they went bust . (I'm not sure if that was common knowledge at that time but it was true ) Anyway he sat at my table and talked about some of the other pipe dreams Matchbox were planning including a 1/72 HP 42 ! As a larger Gold series kit ....... (curse you Maggie Thatcher !) Other subjects apparently under serious consideration were a Short Singapore  (as an aside at a NZ toy fair in 86-ish I was told by the Matchbox importer they they were doing a 4 engine RNZAF biplane flying boat in a year or two ...which could only have been a Singapore ) an Overstrand ,Hendon and Fairey IIIF ! ..... I recall asking him if the Emhar Demon and Fury had been Matchbox molds in development (They had always looked like Matchbox tools to me ) and he said they were finished and released by two ex Matchbox employees (which at the time wasn't known but is also apparently true )  ....if only this alternate Time line for Matchbox had come to pass!

Nice piece of kit-making history, Neil, thanks for posting it.

Cheers

• Like 1

I agree with all of the above I'm building up to buying a HP42 as soon as I see one on ebay that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and I'd love an overstrand or a sidestrand (I'm vaguely contemplating a 1/48 scratchbuild but it would be enormous and I just wouldn't have the shelf space (one of the many reasons my Zepplin Stakken is still in it's box 30 odd years on))

15 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Moa, it is absolutely wonderful to see the fuselage come together and I have to say it looks absolutely splendid indeed. Great work

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris

A small sense of accomplishment is achieved when the main components are assembled, still a long road.

I am very eager to continue after this hiatus, but it will take a little while before I can seat again with these projects on the board.

Cheers

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Moa said:

Thanks Chris

I small sense of accomplishment is achieved when the main components are assembled, still a long road.

I am very eager to continue after this hiatus, but it will take a little while before I can seat again with these projects on the board.

Cheers

Hi Moa

The sense of achievement is wonderful, It will take me a long time to be able to do something like this. You are a master modeller as far as I am concerned. I hope you are okay and I look forward to seeing you resume this stunning build.

All the best

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to see you back in harness Moa. Did I say harness? Sorry, I meant back on this build. The blemishes are coming along fine.

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Glad to see you back in harness Moa. Did I say harness? Sorry, I meant back on this build. The blemishes are coming along fine.

Martian 👽

No civilization (terrestrial OR extraterrestrial) has yet invented the technology with which to create the material with which to conjure a design with which to fabricate a harness with which to restrain a Shaolin Modeling Monk

• Haha 6

18 hours ago, Moa said:

a harness with which to restrain a Shaolin Modeling Monk

I knew you had bad habits, but really......

Ian..... :coat:

• Haha 4

That fuselage has really shaped up nicely, Claudio! I read that post by Neil about what Matchbox were planning on moulding and almost wept. An H.P. 42, a Fairey Hendon, a Short Singapore! What I wouldn't do for an injection-moulded Singapore in the Lord's true scale (1/72nd scale to you heathens)!

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 2