Handley Page HP42/45, Contrail vacuformed 1/72

10 hours ago, Courageous said:

without working lights...poor show :rofl:.

So much excellent work going into this and will be a pity when she gets closed up.

Stuart

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Looking fantastic, shame to hide all that, but we'll all know whats there. :)

Steve.

8 hours ago, Marklo said:

Really beautiful work. The classic  modelers dilemma, how much detail to put in when it may or may not be seen in the finished build.

Well, two doors and two cargo hatches will be open, plus the two emergency exits on the fuselage. Something is going to be seen.

The sandwiches for the tea on the pantry will remain hidden, I am afraid.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Moa said:

Well, two doors and two cargo hatches will be open, plus the two emergency exits on the fuselage. Something is going to be seen.

The sandwiches for the tea on the pantry will remain hidden, I am afraid.

That‘s good! Nothing more depressing on a model to view than cucumber sandwiches slowly wilting away over the years......

Edited by Stromness
  • Haha 4

Looking great Moa. It almost seems fitting to add some carriage lights outside the entry doors, not that the original had them. It is such an odd design to my eyes, yet I've seen footage of it flying sedately and then executing the most inspiring three point landing I've ever seen.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Wlad said:

Looking great Moa. It almost seems fitting to add some carriage lights outside the entry doors, not that the original had them. It is such an odd design to my eyes, yet I've seen footage of it flying sedately and then executing the most inspiring three point landing I've ever seen.

Cheers,

Wlad

That's the prototype still with the diagonal strut closer to the wing tip area, no mudguards, the external artificial horizon on the nose, and the gap between the central and outer panels on the top wing unfaired.

I think I posted the same link a few pages back on the build.

Cheers

10 hours ago, Wlad said:

Fantastic clip there, Wlad. What an amazing sight and sound!  And as for the old-school ‘received pronunciation’, well...

The aircraft in the clip has an unusual framework ahead of the cockpit, clearly visible as it taxies out. Any ideas?

Jon

2 hours ago, Jonners said:

The aircraft in the clip has an unusual framework ahead of the cockpit, clearly visible as it taxies out. Any ideas?

Jon

De- icing rig ?

7 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Superb work on this Moa. The internal detail is incredible. Will there be passengers lurking around I wonder?

Terry 

I am tempted by the idea of providing the access ladders, or even that long boarding sleeve used to shield the passenger from the propwash of those four engines.

We'll see. The model naturally is taking a lot of time, may be I will have some steam left for that.

I sometimes use figures just for the photos in order to provide scale, but deem figures permanently attached to the model on a diorama a bit unrealistic. Matter of personal preference, of course.

2 hours ago, Jonners said:

Jon

If you see my comment to the clip above you will find the answer.

• Like 2

I think a figure to add scale would be wise in this instance, just to show how huge these machines were for the era. I usually add some sort of figure to my builds, sometimes an Earthling, but occasionally a cat. I like cats. 🐱

Martian 👽

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I think a figure to add scale would be wise in this instance, just to show how huge these machines were for the era. I usually add some sort of figure to my builds, sometimes an Earthling, but occasionally a cat. I like cats. 🐱

Martian 👽

I add them temporarily, only in a few photos, as you may see in previous models.

I have added dogs, which are far more obedient and stay still for the snapshot, while cats tend to wander.

In this one a dog misbehaved and cocked the leg, the basterd:

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

. I like cats. 🐱

Martian 👽

How do you like them? Fried, roasted or boiled?

Asking for a friend.

Chris

• Haha 5

18 hours ago, Moa said:

That's the prototype still with...the external artificial horizon on the nose

Ah, sorry - missed that. An external artificial horizon? Or an external framework for visual attitude reference against the horizon, as the aircraft nose would not be visible to the pilots? I would have thought the latter to assist with setting flight attitudes in a new prototype. I imagine it would have had a turn-and-slip indicator on the instrument panel in the days before widely-fitted vacuum-driven artificial horizons. Intriguing!

Great photo, Moa. Definitely looks to me like an 'aircraft horizontal' reference. Useful in turns, especially with windscreen that slope at the bottom, but particularly for referencing pitch attitudes at various speed/power settings. An engine failure in a HP42 could produce a pitch asymmetry as well as a yaw asymmetry, so I imagine the reference bar would be useful when testing that aspect too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Courageous said:

A future build Moa?

Stuart

Stuart, i think a modeler can only once in a lifetime tackle this beast.

i just closed the fuselage and it was a titanic endeavor.

I still have a long road ahead, and when completed, i foresee no second HP42 in my modeling horizon ever, whatsoever, at all. 

A dornier DOX, on the other hand...😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1