Handley Page HP42/45, Contrail vacuformed 1/72

13 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Great work Moa but I am not sure you have the bog roll right. For the period it would more likely to be some nasty stuff called Izal which is more like tracing paper than the soft tissue we have today, my Grandmother insisted on buying the stuff until the day she died. It may have come in rolls or more likely, packets, thus:  

09ca49da8c3433c6fc6af7336a994f50.jpg

Well it's a small world. I used to work for Sterling Health, who used to sell Izal tracing/toilet paper back in the early 80's. Very strange material for its intended purpose!!!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I call upon general melchett as my first witness. I understand he still believes he is flying Imperial Airways and is certainly ancient enough to remember what their toilets looked like.

Don't involve me in all this.....I remember the sanitary situation very well thank you, I spent most of a flight locked in an Imperial thunderbox on my way back from an exceptionally destructive regimental 'booze tour'  reunion in Alexandria in an HP42, during a particularly violent thunderstorm. I seem to recall sheets of gilded lace, a Hercules bicycle pump and a big gold bucket were the order of the day...(Incidentally if I remember correctly Izal came in a variety of grits, depending, of course, on the occasion).

• Haha 9

A wonderful build, lots of skill, humour and imagination! A sincere joy to watch.

Lots of encouragement, too but also stirring a lot of cautioning thoughts....would I want to go through the same ordeal, err nirvana-like experience just to have another wonderful/priceless/inimitable model on the shelf?

(I would, if it‘s the right topic, so I’m watching this with a mixture of commiseration and drooling......)

BTW let‘s hope Plastruct doesn‘t live up fully to its name.......😬

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Now that I have gotten the masks, the transparencies are are carefully glued:

IMG_3531+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

In trying to bring up more information about the lavatory issue, I found, as usual, all kinds of BS. In one site it is stated that the first lavatory was that of the HP42, which is, of course, utterly inaccurate and even absurd.

I have no idea who was the first to install a proper lavatory on a passenger plane, but a project I have on the side, a Latecoere L.A.T.8, had one in 1921:

47726020421_d86663303e_b.jpg

46809519735_4528672448_c.jpg

• Like 14

Sikorsky's Grand had one in 1912, and a heated cabin. Albeit heated by routing the exhausts inside. Hopefully they didn't leak!

Ian

• Like 1

Lovely work. Coming on a treat and very neat.

erm...

22 hours ago, Moa said:

In trying to bring up more information about the lavatory issue,

I don't even want to think what turned up in the searches...

22 hours ago, Moa said:

I found, as usual, all kinds of BS

...hardly a surprise eh 😁

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Sikorsky's Grand had one in 1912, and a heated cabin. Albeit heated by routing the exhausts inside. Hopefully they didn't leak!

Ian

The exhausts or the lavatory?

Chris

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Moa said:
4 hours ago, Moa said:

(Melchett made me do it)

Join the club! Loving the way the interior is coming together.

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

I thought @TheBaron‘s ‘Iron Chicken’ build set the standard on airborne thunder boxes, but I think you have just shot into the lead.  Lovely interior.

The cabin heating system in the dear old Seaking invariably filled the aircraft with Gnome fumes guaranteed to induce headaches inside 5 minutes; everyone I know tried it once and thereafter wore more layers when flying in cold weather.

Clearly Sikorski was not put off by his earlier exhaust-and-dunny combo

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

35 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The cabin heating system in the dear old Seaking invariably filled the aircraft with Gnome fumes guaranteed to induce headaches inside 5 minutes; everyone I know tried it once and thereafter wore more layers when flying in cold weather.

Ah, yes, happy days indeed, especially that first blast of "better-check-the-cabin-heating" after not using it all summer. 🤢

Looking great, Moa. So, now I know that the HP42 was a 'double-header' (not that counting water closets is my area of expertise), I might just have the edge at the next pub quiz...

Jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Re Izal, In many an RAF toilet could be found the legend "Airmen are reminded, that it is an offence to use the smooth side of the paper".  It being for the exclusive use of Officers.

John

Modelling Par excellence, Moa

• Haha 11

10 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

That glue you mentioned works well on the clear? is that the clear acetate type stuff?

I think it is a polycarbonate.

Plastics are sometimes finicky regarding the glue they will accept, that's why I always try on a scrap as I did here, to see if common plastic cement did the trick (didn't as we know).

I have several boxes of clear plastic scraps from every suitable box/container that lands on the house, so I don't know what type of plastic they are, and have to find a proper glue by trial and error (which is a silly phrase, given that trial and success is what actually happens, you try and try and then succeed).

I also have some clear sheets bought in hobby stores that are supposedly acrylic and Styrene, and others with no material ID.

I believe (not sure) that the glue I used -disregarding the commercial brand- could be M.E.K. (Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone) a very nasty to inhale stuff, that deserves respect and good area ventilation.

It did not fog the plastic, and performed a good weld. It's extremely thin, so it can be wicked on (applied by capillarity) along the joint.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, John Aero said:

Re Izal, In many an RAF toilet could be found the legend "Airmen are reminded, that it is an offence to use the smooth side of the paper".  It being for the exclusive use of Officers.

John

Modelling Par excellence, Moa

I knew we should have called John as an expert witness!

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, John Aero said:

the smooth side of the paper

The paper had a smooth side? Luxury!

We had to use coconut husk, but when not in season -and after woolly mammoths went extinct some years ago- wild boards or other furry wild animals that weren't very happy about it.

And the others talk about heating? you Brits so soft! We spent the whole ice age in an ice cube, holding on, and only thawed recently due to global warming. And had to re-learn modeling all over again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

14 hours ago, Moa said:

I think it is a polycarbonate.

Plastics are sometimes finicky regarding the glue they will accept, that's why I always try on a scrap as I did here, to see if common plastic cement did the trick (didn't as we know).

I have several boxes of clear plastic scraps from every suitable box/container that lands on the house, so I don't know what type of plastic they are, and have to find a proper glue by trial and error (which is a silly phrase, given that trial and success is what actually happens, you try and try and then succeed).

I also have some clear sheets bought in hobby stores that are supposedly acrylic and Styrene, and others with no material ID.

I believe (not sure) that the glue I used -disregarding the commercial brand- could be M.E.K. (Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone) a very nasty to inhale stuff, that deserves respect and good area ventilation.

It did not fog the plastic, and performed a good weld. It's extremely thin, so it can be wicked on (applied by capillarity) along the joint.

I have a similar pile of clear, keep it around until it starts to fade then replace it if it's not used. Can't get MEK here anymore that i know of, have worked with it before and it's great in more ways than one.

• Like 1

Beautiful and expertly detailed build Moa. I especially like the authenticity of the airborne loo ............ somewhat more private I hope than the one I recall discovering at the back of a C-130 many moons ago!

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice progress 

On 4/30/2019 at 7:01 PM, Moa said:

The paper had a smooth side? Luxury!

We had to use coconut husk, but when not in season -and after woolly mammoths went extinct some years ago- wild boards or other furry wild animals that weren't very happy about it.

Like this? 

yjGad.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 9