Handley Page HP42/45, Contrail vacuformed 1/72

All this talk of civil airplanes has spurred me to make a start on this one as well :)  Moa's probably built one too (if he hasn't he should)  1/32 because it's still fairly diminutive although it will look large next to the Dep, not because of it's size (it's about the same width and length) but because of the bulbous fuselage.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

Well, I did, not that is particularly connected to this thread, it is posted here:

I love it. (which is why I'm going to build one too)  I work on semi random word association most of the time although it  may not seem that connected there is always a (n at least tenuous) connection in my posting. (maybe I've just been reading too many of Martian's posts :) )

11 hours ago, Moa said:

I hope it's enough for 40 passengers...

IMG_3498+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

I feel a bit weird asking this, but, are the paper rolls historically accurate for the timeframe? I just recall a few stories from my parents about what was used in the 1930's and 40's. Mind you, they were in Eastern Canada and living out in the country, so that may have had an influence on what was available for that purpose.

Chris

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I feel a bit weird asking this, but, are the paper rolls historically accurate for the timeframe? I just recall a few stories from my parents about what was used in the 1930's and 40's. Mind you, they were in Eastern Canada and living out in the country, so that may have had an influence on what was available for that purpose.

Chris

"...Modern commercial toilet paper originated in the 19th century, with a patent for roll-based dispensers being made in 1883."

"...the invention of toilet paper on a roll, popularized by two brothers in 1890.  They declined to put their name on any part of it, however, and just sold the product directly to hotels and drugstores."

https://www.cnet.com/news/why-an-1891-toilet-paper-patent-is-all-over-facebook/

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Great work Moa but I am not sure you have the bog roll right. For the period it would more likely to be some nasty stuff called Izal which is more like tracing paper than the soft tissue we have today, my Grandmother insisted on buying the stuff until the day she died. It may have come in rolls or more likely, packets, thus:  

09ca49da8c3433c6fc6af7336a994f50.jpg

143055192082-10536457426-1-768x768.jpg

Whichever format the stuff came in, it would most likely had the Imperial Airways logo printed somewhere on it. In the interests of the historical accuracy of your build and to introduce you to the delights of British toilet humour, I feel we need to have a debate on the subject, Some years ago, we did manage to find out what WW2 Imperial Japanese Army toilet paper looked like for a member who was doing a diorama, so Nil desperandum Moa!

Helpful of Mars 👽

PS: Distressingly, Izal is still available today. If you want (which you don't) I can send you a packet for research purposes. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I know what you are trying to do here, Martian, it is well known that you aim to cause discord between Earthlings with the purpose of planet domination.

Besides, we all suspect the dubious, twisted, utterly unnameable ways in which Martians manage their excreta.

You will not succeed!

Edited by Mike
Removing unnecessary photo quote.
  • Haha 6

16 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Well there you go! Just goes to show how much crap there is on the Interweb! You can learn the whole history of butt-wipe.

Chris

If you had ever visited my maternal Grandmother, you could have experienced it! My paternal Grandmother was from rural Gloucestershire and recommended an extra large dock leaf when in extremis!

Martian 👽 (Promoting experimental archaeology across the Galaxy)

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Moa said:

I know what you are trying to do here, Martian, it is well known that you aim to cause discord between Earthlings with the purpose of planet domination.

Besides, we all suspect the dubious, twisted, utterly unnameable ways in which Martians manage their excreta.

You will not succeed!

Sheesh, that's the thanks you get for trying to be helpful! Earthlingophone that I am, I am distressed to report that Izal was invented and continues to be inflicted on the Galaxy by your planet. I will say though that Vogons quite like the stuff. I call upon @general melchett as my first witness. I understand he still believes he is flying Imperial Airways and is certainly ancient enough to remember what their toilets looked like.

Martian 👽

PS: Martians use an implement somewhat akin to a pipe cleaner.

• Haha 3

Not so.

13 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Whichever format the stuff came in, it would most likely had the Imperial Airways logo printed somewhere on it. In the interests of the historical accuracy of your build and to introduce you to the delights of British toilet humour, I feel we need to have a debate on the subject, Some years ago, we did manage to find out what WW2 Imperial Japanese Army toilet paper looked like for a member who was doing a diorama, so Nil desperandum Moa!

Helpful of Mars 👽

(From the net, DC-3, late thirties): 

"....This is the original American Airlines Flagship Detroit, which was the 34th plane built on the Santa Monica production line. Here we see it visiting the Purdue University airport in 2013."

dc3-150322.jpg

If planes in Argentina in the 30's were using toilet rolls, I don't see why a British plane wouldn't.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Moa said:

Not so.

(From the net, DC-3, late thirties): 

"....This is the original American Airlines Flagship Detroit, which was the 34th plane built on the Santa Monica production line. Here we see it visiting the Purdue University airport in 2013."

dc3-150322.jpg

If planes in Argentina in the 30's were using toilet rolls, I don't see why a British plane wouldn't.

Good point but wouldn't a roll/packet of Izal give the model a real period cachet. You could make some tiny decals and add them to your rolls. Mind you my Grandmother used packets right up to 1988.

Is that a period loo do you think?

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

PS: Distressingly, Izal is still available today. If you want (which you don't) I can send you a packet for research purposes. 

Incomprehensibly this is true. Who buys it, where and why is a mystery. Surely they cannot be using it for its intended purpose? Perhaps it has another purpose aside from heavy duty tracing paper - pipe lagging, weed suppressant.....

Anyroad back on topic. Looking really damned fine, especially the detailing...even the 1/72 scale IZAL. I think if you'd used 18 gauge steel it would still be in scale.

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Is that a period loo do you think? 

It's the image that accompanied the description of the tissue issue on that blog daily issue.

And now, I know British modelers think that modeling consist primarily of talking about modeling, but I am painting 18 seats and it's a fiddly business.

The gall!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Izal was still the loo paper in UK government sites I had to visit for work in the mid-90s.  At school the geography teacher would send someone to the loo to get some if we needed tracing paper, for which purpose it was superb!

I always assumed that Izal was provided as it could survive in the deeply miserable cold and damp environment of UK toilets.

• Haha 4

Well, this fine topic has certainly dropped into the toilet, hasn't it!

Please continue on, Moa. I'll try to refrain myself from anymore toilet humor in the future. Though to be honest, my self-constraint is getting weaker and weaker as I get older and older.

Chris

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Well, this fine topic has certainly dropped into the toilet, hasn't it!

Please continue on, Moa. I'll try to refrain myself from anymore toilet humor in the future. Though to be honest, my self-constraint is getting weaker and weaker as I get older and older.

Chris

You left your self restraint at the door when you joined; its in the rules. :rules:

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, malpaso said:

Izal was still the loo paper in UK government sites I had to visit for work in the mid-90s.  At school the geography teacher would send someone to the loo to get some if we needed tracing paper, for which purpose it was superb!

I always assumed that Izal was provided as it could survive in the deeply miserable cold and damp environment of UK toilets.

This type of toilet paper (I wont call it tissue) was still in the Army ration packs until the move from tinned meal to boil in the bag meal in the early 1990's. It came with a razor sharp crease that made use challenging. Fortunately our instructors weren't the sadist we thought they were and brought along cumfy bum rolls as well.

• Like 3

What's this self restraint you speak of , some kind of harness perhaps...

PS: sorry to subvert your fine thread Moa. You can always come over to mine and do the same :)

Edited by Marklo