Handley Page HP42/45, Contrail vacuformed 1/72

Next is the window areas. I started cutting CD liners, but since some of the windows had a slight curvature, I switched to polycarbonate of about the thickness of the fuselage walls. Both materials are not easy to cut or sand. A thin interior flange (to be applied) will eventually keep them in place with some glue. The kit's clear plastic is unusable due to yellowing:

IMG_3361+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_3362+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_3363+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 12

But how dare you call the steampunk flying bus a "lumbering, double biplane (wing and tail), fabric covered ungainly beast"? It sure is a curious looking beast, and massive. Great work so far, and you're putting your flying model building skills to good use.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Haha 1

On 2/25/2019 at 7:43 AM, Moa said:

Bad (but predictable) news, the protective paper of the decal sheet fused on, after almost four decades, so new ones will have to be commissioned:

IMG_2479+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Not even in water the protective paper will let go of the decal, that otherwise is completely ok:

IMG_2480+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Funny that the decal did not shatter or broke down, it is perfectly ok on the other side as shown, but the protective paper is firmly glued on the front:

IMG_2481+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Moa, I started to build this kit when it was first released, even covered the fusalage in aluminium foil, but external pressures like family, work, house moves etc. meant the model did not survive.

However I still have the decal sheet which looks to be in mint condition. If you PM me you are welcome to have it.

Chris

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tankerman said:

Moa, I started to build this kit when it was first released, even covered the fusalage in aluminium foil, but external pressures like family, work, house moves etc. meant the model did not survive.

However I still have the decal sheet which looks to be in mint condition. If you PM me you are welcome to have it.

Chris

Hi Chris

You are very kind, but I commissioned a set from Arctic Decals, with a higher level of accuracy and detail. The decals in the kit are not bad, but have some issues (color and shape).

Nevertheless, your good intentions are much appreciated.

Cheers

5 minutes ago, Courageous said:

As always, your attention to detail is great.

Those there steering wheels; PE, scratch?

Stuart

Hi Stuart

those parts that fit the bill very satisfactorily are photoetched steering wheels used in trucks and such. I knew one day I would use them.

cheers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silenoz said:

Reading this in awe for the effort shown... and at the same time thinking, wasn't a plan and some styrenesheet an equal effort in the end?

But it has to be said... superb modelling...

I think it would have been a lot more difficult, but would have ultimately resulted perhaps on a better model.

In any case, I don't know why, I feel a satisfying pleasure "rescuing" kits, many of them borderline irredeemable, for example the two Everest planes I built from the awful Frog molds.

I like to keep the scratch for more arcane endeavours, or when the existing kit is a fiasco.

Strangely enough, you can see online an interesting number HP42 built, which is rare for such big and complex kit, but I sensed that more juice could be extracted from this old mold.

It is, however, a balance act: you can't reconstruct/replace/re-do the whole kit, that would make no sense, but certainly many areas can benefit from improvement. I believe that in doing so the old hag can achieve a decent, if not ponderous presence.

In the same vein, I am satisfied with my Blackburn Kangaroo model made from the same manufacturer, even if certainly that kit also adolesced of many maladies and needed deep surgery and many corrections.

• Like 4

Hi Moa

Wow, the wing spar is an inspired solution and will no doubt result in a strong structure when the wings are mated to the fuselage. The window areas look great too, no matter how hard I try I could never get my cutting so neat and the fit you have achieved is superb. 

Great great work.

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Moa

Wow, the wing spar is an inspired solution and will no doubt result in a strong structure when the wings are mated to the fuselage. The window areas look great too, no matter how hard I try I could never get my cutting so neat and the fit you have achieved is superb. 

Great great work.

All the best

Chris

Thanks , Chris, you are very kind.

Let's hope we arrive safely at destination.

Cheers

• Haha 1