Heinkel He.115 In Coastal Command Service

It's been a great modelling day!! the floats are on - still a fiddly job even though this is the third time I've built this kit. Engine cowlings off, props in (they do spin) and the cowlings glued on permanently this time. Engine exhausts are on and the crew are in! I had to fill in the hole under the fuselage a bit to make the stand fit more securely - I don't want any accidents at this stage! Some touch ups are required then it's time for the transfers - got some spare Lancaster ones which should be OK.

0Rrhdy8.jpg

vjPJrnZ.jpg

huWOdzs.jpg

CEYIxIk.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

The model shows a pattern that is recognisably a distorted version of the standard AM pattern.  Whether the distortion is original or caused by interpretation of photos I can't say, but I would expect that the original intention would have been to follow the pattern.  It is of course possible that the scheme was altered with time - as Vingtor says, especially for the Malta-based aircraft.

Yes, it will be my interpretation of the black and white photos that will be to blame but I was interested to see how it turned out. This aircraft must have been painted 'in the field' rather than at a factory with masking mats so all down to the skill of the ground crew, I think. I'm definitely operating out in the wild here!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

Paint scheme on that 'Einkle looks every bit as weird as on a RAF Fortress III! V-P

Yes, you are right V-P. Would a Temperate Sea Scheme look any better? - I think I'm going to have to get another Matchbox He.115 kit just to find out! Maybe the floats will be easier again next time round....

No no, nothing wrong with the scheme! It's just the unfamiliar combination of German plane and British paint scheme, and I love it! So weird in that sense, but not that it would need to be changed in any ways! Remember I'm not an English speaker + I am a short/blunt writer so it may occasionally lead to me getting misinterpreted, sorry 😊. V-P

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

No no, nothing wrong with the scheme! It's just the unfamiliar combination of German plane and British paint scheme, and I love it! So weird in that sense, but not that it would need to be changed in any ways! Remember I'm not an English speaker + I am a short/blunt writer so it may occasionally lead to me getting misinterpreted, sorry 😊. V-P

No need to apologise, V-P, I knew exactly what you meant. I'm enjoying doing something different here with the paint scheme! All the best. Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the final photos in the Gallery in advance of this last post since the deadline was approaching...

The canopies were masked painted and went on so the crew look a bit cosier now. Ladders went on to complete the structure.

The large roundels on the wings upper surfaces could have been a little more inboard but the reference photos seem to show them fairly far out. The fin flashes and fuselage roundels with the yellow ring came from the new Airfix Wellington 1C kit (that I have tucked away for later) which were a good colour match and the underwing roundels with the small centres were from a WW1 sheet that I have - seems surprising that roundels were actually put on the undersurfaces as all the written references seem to indicate 'none' for night coloured aircraft. None of the reference pictures show the aircraft code BV186 clearly (probably wasn't painted on) so I hid it at the top of the black section of the rear fuselage in red 8" letters.

uSkpRN5.jpg

lS3QKrY.jpg

Lastly, to really identify this unique aircraft as mentioned by @Vingtor, I made up the 'Cunning Foxes' nose art just by printing the colour pictures put out by @Kjetil Åkra in one of the links earlier in the thread and cutting it out - my decal paper wasn't ordered in time so I just used normal print paper stuck on with 'Future', which soaked through and made it less opaque.

Vqgp2Bz.jpg

nGZYqED.jpg

On with the aerial wire, a quick engine run (only one at a time possible to avoid blowing this He115 into a spin) and the Heinkel He115 in Coastal Command service is ready to fly!

fWeYqYw.jpg

5cGoFo3.jpg

542aiog.jpg

ihRRcD8.jpg

This was another enjoyable GB and a real surprise to me to find out just how 'close to home' this subject was, with great knowledgeable input from Norske Venner (hope that translated OK) along the way. Thanks to @tonyot for the inspiration and  @Romeo Alpha Yankee and @Robert Stuart for hosting. All the best. Mike

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

This one slipped under the radar for me, really nice job. Glad to see it made it in the gallery!

Many thanks Ray - I was determined it would make the Gallery since this was such an enjoyable GB - well done on the hosting. What's next? All the best. Mike.

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great work on your Heinkel. 👍 Love the look in RAF Markings. 

Many thanks Corsairfoxfouruncle. This has been another boundary-busting build for me since my early modelling would never have considered doing anything other than 'building the kit' or, heavens forbid, straying from 'proper' colour scheme. Fascinating subject, though. All the best. Mike.

• 1 month later...
On 03/03/2019 at 13:06, Robert Stuart said:

Looks good so far @Ventora3300.  And, if you have time, the Frog/Revell comparison build would be interesting to see.

Thanks again, Robert. I did indeed get started on the Revell/ex Frog kit as below...

• Thanks 1