BA retro colours

Britman

• 2 weeks later...

Of course, the initial 747-436s were finished in the Landor scheme when they were originally delivered - so these are the first retro schemed aircraft to be painted in a scheme they originally carried (ignoring the "one-off" 757 that received an original delivery scheme to commemorate the types retirement).

• 4 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:40 PM, Britman said:

British Airways next retro jet will be an A319 in BEA red square colours including red under wings. The aircraft is apparently at Shannon this weekend.

Keith

I saw her today at Edinburgh.  Very nice job, and it did make me smile.

On 7/16/2019 at 11:20 PM, Adam Poultney said:

The retro BOAC 747 will be flying on Saturday at the RIAT

Slightly off topic, but does RIAT publish the flying programme ahead of time?

2 hours ago, Alan P said:

Slightly off topic, but does RIAT publish the flying programme ahead of time?

Well they say what's confirmed to be flying and what is static on their website

2 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Well they say what's confirmed to be flying and what is static on their website

Thanks but I was thinking more about the actual schedule.

Just to add my 2p's worth, I love the idea of the retro BA schemes, and hope to see a rebranding with a classier look in the future. In the era of cheap low cost travel, BA could do with rebranding to emphasise the full service product rather than chasing their leaner competitors into the gutter!

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan P said:

Thanks but I was thinking more about the actual schedule.

Just to add my 2p's worth, I love the idea of the retro BA schemes, and hope to see a rebranding with a classier look in the future. In the era of cheap low cost travel, BA could do with rebranding to emphasise the full service product rather than chasing their leaner competitors into the gutter!

Fully agree right there! How about a full fleet repaint into an updated Landor or BOAC style livery? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

Fully agree right there! How about a full fleet repaint into an updated Landor or BOAC style livery? 

Nah! The old red, black and grey BEA scheme would  be my choice!  Call the 3 S scheme! (Simple, Smart and Stylish) 😊

Allan

3 hours ago, Alan P said:

In the era of cheap low cost travel, BA could do with rebranding to emphasise the full service product rather than chasing their leaner competitors into the gutter!

The issue is BA in terms of service and class were left behind decades ago by the 'Gulf' carriers and Virgin. They don't help themselves going forward, when conjure up a faux 100 year anniversary.

Tommo

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

On 7/16/2019 at 11:20 PM, Adam Poultney said:

The retro BOAC 747 will be flying on Saturday at the RIAT

..photographed a couple of Wednesdays ago operating BA 243 LHR-MEX, my son's last B747 flight prior to A350 training..

spacer.png

• Like 3

13 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

The issue is BA in terms of service and class were left behind decades ago by the 'Gulf' carriers and Virgin. They don't help themselves going forward, when conjure up a faux 100 year anniversary.

Tommo

Agreed, certain Gulf and Far East carriers lead the field in service and product while BA have stalled while trying to cut costs and chase the likes of Norwegian instead of maintaining a higher premium standard. Even so, a quick perusal of Skytrax awards would tend to contradict that overall assessment. Especially where Virgin is concerned.

https://www.worldairlineawards.com/airline-of-the-year-winners/

Edited by Alan P

10 hours ago, Alan P said:

Agreed, certain Gulf and Far East carriers lead the field in service and product while BA have stalled while trying to cut costs and chase the likes of Norwegian instead of maintaining a higher premium standard. Even so, a quick perusal of Skytrax awards would tend to contradict that overall assessment. Especially where Virgin is concerned.

https://www.worldairlineawards.com/airline-of-the-year-winners/

I'm personally a little suspicious of industry awards, in my experience it comes down to who has the best creative copywriter and there appears an element of rotation to even things up. That said having recently flown on flown on Cathay, Emirates and Singapore it is hard to disagree with those entries and placings. Coming back to my original point I'm surprised Etihad are not better placed as I have found them exceptional every time I have flown with them.

BA are in a no man lands land and don't know if to stick or twist as they can't compete with some of the Gulf and far east airlines as far as business and 1st class is concerned and they are too cumbersome to compete with the budget carriers.  For example their code share with American for trans Atlantic crossings is doing them no end of harm, I have heard a number of 1st hand  horror stories. BA need a complete business overhaul and by inventing a fake centenary is not a good starting point.

Having recently returned from Uncle Sam, its clear Norwegian 'have done a job' on the US public in repect to trans Atlantic flights and that will be very interesting to see how that plays out in the fullness in time.

Tommo.