How many of you would consider buying a 1/48 scale armor kit in 2019

SoftScience

1/48 AFV purchases  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Might you buy a 1/48 AFV kit in 2019?

• yes
    • no
    • not sure

5 hours ago, German Armour said:

Yes, I hope atleast it will be something good! Maybe artillery?

How about this?

Combined Tamiya Heavy tractor and Italeri's excellent Flak 88 in 1/48 scale.

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Military_Vehicles/TAM00037027/product.php?gclid=Cj0KCQjws7TqBRDgARIsAAHLHP5go0hPrNX2BmFY9MGF745YNsOohjXKsbm9FgGwod1hwy6w9Auu0jEaAnPsEALw_wcB

23 hours ago, German Armour said:

No, I mean like a hummel or Stug....... or towed artillery.... 

A Hummel would be nice in this scale. I think Bandai had one in the 70s. But I'm not sure. I've never seen one.

There are several StuG III kits, and they're pretty good.

I'd love to see a SU-76 in 1/48

• 3 months later...

I have decided to go for 1/48 for the first time, and bought a RPM's Ford T Ambulans M1917. Such a nice and cheap little gem from Great War.

• 3 months later...

Just saw this post. I am all in on 1/48 armor kits!

I'm probably a bit OCD, but I want my AFV to match my aircraft in scale. I try to purchase multiple of the Tamiya kits, even if they go to "retired AND bored" future stash, just to support the scale.

I've bought several of the Gas.o.line kits, ebay Mirkits from Russia, paid WAYYYY too much for a couple 1/48-50 scale diecast military tractors. Etc.

AND, after watching the crafsman on youtube shrink silicone molds - - he's awesome BTW - I've started on this;

20200310_150439.jpg

20200310_150359.jpg

Taking 1/35 casts and shrinking them to 1/48. It takes a few tries sometimes, but as seen above, it can be done.

Edited by markmcguire25
new hotlink
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, markmcguire25 said:

AND, after watching the crafsman on youtube shrink silicone molds

I didn't know you can shrink silicone moulds! Wheels are the biggest problems with scratch-building vehicles so that might be a possible option.

Do you have link for that Youtube video please?

Apparently, there's more than one option on materials. I've had some really good luck, the Scud/MAZ wheels - and some really poor results, some HEMTT wheels I tried.

20200310_161213.jpg

Clearly not round.

I've also contacted a couple folks on shapeways to get 1/48 casts, that I can mold multiples.

Edited by markmcguire25
wrong pic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, markmcguire25 said:

Apparently, there's more than one option on materials. I've had some really good luck, the Scud/MAZ wheels - and some really poor results, some HEMTT wheels I tried.

That's a good video – thanks for posting.

For your successful trials, do you have a ratio of silicon to white spirit to reduce 1/35 to 1/48, or it just hit and miss?

Incidentally, your photos keep disappearing, are you using Google Photos as a host?

Pics should be fixed. I forgot to "share' the files in the albums on Google.

As for the mix, there's a ton of variables. My success has been with OOMOO 35 and odorless M. S. at  a 50/50 mix, like the video suggests. This got me approx. 25% reduction. The MAZ/Scud Wheels came out almost exact for 1/48. They should be 31MM and they are 32.

As you can see on the MRAP wheels, the shape came out decidely NOT round. I think my mistake was expecting a round shrinkage from a square mold. I'm going to retry this weekend with a Cylindrical mold, and allowing the same depth and width around the wheel - about 3/4". Hopefully this will solve the uneven shrinking. 

If I get a "foolproof system" figured out, I'll do a WIP in the Armor Forum. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, markmcguire25 said:

If I get a "foolproof system" figured out, I'll do a WIP in the Armor Forum. 

That'll be great, thanks.

11 minutes ago, markmcguire25 said:

Pics should be fixed. I forgot to "share' the files in the albums on Google.

Still not seeing the photos. Google Photo links aren't very long lasting, I tried it for a time and all the links expired after eight months. There is an additional step to make them more long lasting, otherwise I wouldn't recommend Google Photos as a host. The way to extend the life of the GP links is explained in this document, it also lists other suitable hosts.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

NOT.

I Am trying to reduce to 1/72. More range. Lower cost. Greater ability for storage..

More tools are available to work in that scale eg. Magnifiers, adhesives, thinner paints and brushes/airbrushes to assist with detailing. 

Fairly satisfied with results so far but it is an ongoing learning process. 

On 5/22/2020 at 12:45 AM, crowe said:

NOT.

I Am trying to reduce to 1/72. More range. Lower cost. Greater ability for storage..

More tools are available to work in that scale eg. Magnifiers, adhesives, thinner paints and brushes/airbrushes to assist with detailing. 

Fairly satisfied with results so far but it is an ongoing learning process. 

Bizarre reason for changing scale.  All my tools are multi scale, multi theme and in fact multi hobby.  I've also found they work in both the Northern and Southern hemispheres.

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have a go with some to match my aircraft but my eyes are having trouble even in 1/48 now.

I wish I could still do 1/72 aircraft but those days are long gone - most of you get better detail

out of 1/72 than I'm capable of in 1/32.

I read the term 6 footer in a post around here that's a pretty good term for me - well maybe

7 1/2 footer

To big a stash to make the complete transformation anywho.

• 2 weeks later...

Me too. I've bought two, although it would have been three, but it appears that rocking horse droppings are more common that Hobbyboss M4A1 (76mm) kits!

John.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 8:49 AM, dcrfan said:

Bizarre reason for changing scale.  All my tools are multi scale, multi theme and in fact multi hobby.  I've also found they work in both the Northern and Southern hemispheres.

Not so. My point was. Forty years ago there was nothing like the availability of tools as there are now.eg.sprue cutters, magnifying head gear, loupes. Airbrushes were prohibitively expensive. Manufacturing abilities meant that 1/72 and small scale models were crude and limited in range. Etc. Scratch building was normal to available plans. eg. Bellona

I built quite a few back in 2005-06 probably a dozen or so.I still have 3-4 in the stash.I originally used them as my springboard into armor and I enjoyed them.I have since moved onto 1/35.I don't see myself getting anymore now.

Not for me, although I freely admit to having built a few over the years. Support for the scale is pretty much down to Tamiya, though. If they ever drop out, like they gave up on trying to convert the aircraft modelers to 1/100, it will get very quiet out there quick other than garage kits.