How many of you would consider buying a 1/48 scale armor kit in 2019

SoftScience

1/48 AFV purchases  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Might you buy a 1/48 AFV kit in 2019?

• yes
    • no
    • not sure

To sum up then......

1/48 Armour...………….. the modelling equivalent of Marmite.  :ninja:

For those in the Southern Hemisphere …….. Vegemite :bleh:

Dick

My preferred scale is definitely 1/35th, but now and again, I will delve into 1/48th. It's a good scale to work in, being a sort of halfway house between 1/35th and 1/72nd. Most of the kits that I have in this scale are Tamiya, 3 Fireflys, an M4, M4A1, 2 Crusaders and a Cromwell, plus some other manufacturers assorted kits. I've got  few resin conversions also, the most notable being Battalion Bits' Charioteer. Would I buy more? Certainly, especially if any of the manufacturers branch out a bit and give us some more modern stuff, such as Pattons and T54/55's and Centurions. Then I could indulge my passion for IDF vehicles.

John.

Edited by Bullbasket
o

I've had a soft spot for 1/48 armour ever since one of my mates had a couple of Bandai kits back in the 1970s .  I have no doubt that I'll be tempted by something or other during the year .

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jenko said:

To sum up then......

1/48 Armour...………….. the modelling equivalent of Marmite.  :ninja:

For those in the Southern Hemisphere …….. Vegemite :bleh:

Dick

Vegemite - Aussie rubbish not allowed on our side of the Tasman Sea.

Two 1/48 vehicle kits on their way from Japan.

Edited by dcrfan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dcrfan said:

Vegemite - Aussie rubbish not allowed on our side of the Tasman Sea.

Correct we have Kiwi Marmite which is a poor impersonation of the real thing.... Same with weetbix like weetabix but without the tax payment...

Nope.

No one has mentioned the figures that come with the kits.

Personally, I like to see faces where the eyes have been painted - and preferably with irises. Painting eyes that don't look like ping-pong balls is hard enough in 1/35th - and virtually impossible in smaller scales.

So, it's 1/35th for me.

Badder

Number of factors at play in my decision to stick generally with 1/35 for armour/diorama, not in any order of prioritised importance nor any aspersion about going with whichever scale one chooses.

1. Standardisation. Because with armour it's storage and display viable.
  2. Affordability. Although they're getting expensive, as an adult 1/35 is.
  3. Detail. Facilitated better, particularly figurines. Self explanatory.
  4. Age. Mine. Everything I can do to aid presbyopic eyesight and less agile fingers.
  5. Product range and aftermarket support in the scale.

I'd do aircraft in 1/32 too were it viable for me from a storage and display perspective, or were I restricted myself to a narrower more specific interest collection. i.e. Great War types only. As it is 1/48 is the pragmatism preferred air scale for me generally for WWI & WWII types up to Bf 110, Me 410, He 219, Ki-46, Ki-45 sized twin types generally, restricting myself to 1/32 for particularly loved exceptions. e.g. Hasegawa's Ki-61.

Edited by Bigglesof266
corrected typos

I am a devotee of 1/48 armour. I dabbled in 1/35, but found it too big and expensive to justify a further extension to the stash. I like 1/72 for dioramas, but find 1/48 more satisfying overall. I wish Airfix had followed up on their Bedford Truck with some more 1/48 trucks. It seems unlikely, but that particular model appears to have sold out, so it must have been a modest success.

• Like 3

I have generally built 1/35 but was intrigued and inspired by Mike Rinaldi's 1/48 Hetzer in one of his books. I decided to buy a couple of armour kits from the Tamiya 1/48 MM range which I bought from a Japanese retailer called PlazaJapan who I can recommend 100%.  Even with shipping they worked out at around 1/2 the UK price, and so far I haven't been hit with any import duties; it takes only around 1 week from Japan. As for reduced detail in the smaller scale - I will add PE & resin parts as necessary, although this inevitably adds significantly to the cost per kit and isn't everyone's idea of a fun build. There are some very good aftermarket 1/48 resin figures around too. Another attraction is that the size of each finished model + base is smaller, and takes up less space. I haven't actually started on these although they should keep me busy for a while.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I already have quite a few 1/48 kits - all from Tamiya (which I find a real joy to build) and Hobbyboss (which are a bit fiddly in places).

I will certainly buy some more 1/48 kits if more that I want come out, especially from Tamiya.

I also enjoy making 1/72nd and 1/35th kits as well.

Kind regards,

Stix

I fancied some of the 1/48 scale kits but always got the 1/35 scale version because of the better detail and the price of the smaller kits was not that much lower to make me really consider them until now.

• 3 months later...

I brought three 1/48th Tamiya kits to kit bash into one 1/48th truck - Opel Blitz chassis and wheels, GMC truck cab and Ford staff car front mudguards = 1942 Ford crash fire tender 

20190722_213854_resized.jpg

20190807_210515_resized.jpg

• Like 7

Nice idea!

I picked up my third Tamiya 1/48 armour kit for the year, the M20, from Parabellum at the IPMS Avon show last weekend.

And did I mention that I got the Fighting 48th! Crab conversion a few weeks back??

Nick

Yes, I will be getting at least one 1/48th armour kit in 2019. As for Tamiya's #100 I hope for a Mk V British rhomboid. Used by many countries post - WWI (including Japan), and a handful may have been employed in WW2 (Estonia and USSR). Parts would be easy to layout and build and including BOTH male and female sponsons would be a stroke of genius. But NOT motorized please.

What I love about 1/48 is that it's big enough to detail well, doesn't take up as much room, the market isn't flooded with resin conversions for everything, aircraft in the same scale are readily available, and finally, a full whistles and bells build is a whole lot cheaper than 1/35. 

As I often comment if breaking into a new vehicle scale look at what Airfix offered in the late 50s and 60s on. Converting and cross-kitting that little lot kept an industry going for 40+ years.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

Yes, I will be getting at least one 1/48th armour kit in 2019. As for Tamiya's #100 I hope for a Mk V British rhomboid. Used by many countries post - WWI (including Japan), and a handful may have been employed in WW2 (Estonia and USSR). Parts would be easy to layout and build and including BOTH male and female sponsons would be a stroke of genius.

Yep! And I reckon that would find a market too!👍

• Like 1