How many of you would consider buying a 1/48 scale armor kit in 2019

SoftScience

1/48 AFV purchases  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Might you buy a 1/48 AFV kit in 2019?

• yes
    • no
    • not sure

This is just a bit of a non-scientific poll (y'all aren't [y'aint?[ a statistically representative sample, after all). But I'm curious to see what percentage of eyes who pass over this corner of the internet might even consider buying one of these kits. 

• Like 1

Strange as I'm almost alway's in 1/48 scale for my aircraft I have never built armour in the same scale price tend's to put me off much as I love Tamiya's

kit's some (I accept older issues) are cheaper in 1/35.

I find 1/48 a bit of a Curate's Egg.  I've bought a couple in the past in a fit of enthusiasm - I usually model in 1/35 - but ended up selling them on.  But I've just got hold of a couple of after-market stowage sets cheap so I intend to get the kits to go with them as cheaper-than-usual projects.  Tamiya's Sherman IC, or maybe a HobbyBoss M4, and one of their Stugs.

Tamiya kits, as noted above, are poor VFM compared to 1/35 and rarely seen discounted much.  HobbyBoss are better VFM but a very limited range.  Coverage of other plastic brands is spotty at best.  Plenty of pricey resin from the likes of Gaso.Line.

I used to worry about lack of detail and over-scale parts, but perhaps that was a false worry.  It is in any case inevitable with decreasing scale because of manufacturing limitations. The increased availability of after-market parts has helped, but again more £££.

As I get older I find that my eyesight and dexterity don't really accommodate smaller scales and "fiddly details".

Hi,

I haven't done a lot of armor modeling, so if the topic is something that I am interested in, scale isn't all that important to me.  Right now I have an interest in WWI, interwar, and early WWII armor, and have built a couple 1/72 scale kits and am in the middle of a couple 1/35 scale ones.  Overall 1/72 scale seems ok for larger subjects, but kind of small for the light tanks of these eras, and 1/35 scale seems good for small to medium size vehicles but may be a bit on the large/pricey side for me for really large vehicle, like a French Char 2c or UK/US Mk VIII.   As such, if I could find a kit of one of those vehicles in 1/48 scale (at a reasonable price) I'd probably jump to snatch one up. 😛

PF

Edited by PF Naughton

On 2/25/2019 at 6:08 PM, PF Naughton said:

Hi,

I haven't done a lot of armor modeling, so if the topic is something that I am interested in, scale isn't all that important to me.  Right now I have an interest in WWI, interwar, and early WWII armor, and have built a couple 1/72 scale kits and am in the middle of a couple 1/35 scale ones.  Overall 1/72 scale seems ok for larger subjects, but kind of small for the light tanks of these eras, and 1/35 scale seems good for small to medium size vehicles but may be a bit on the large/pricey side for me for really large vehicle, like a French Char 2c or UK/US Mk VIII.   As such, if I could find a kit of one of those vehicles in 1/48 scale (at a reasonable price) I'd probably jump to snatch one up. 😛

PF

I don't know if there is a Char 2 available. 

The French firm Gaso.Line would probably be the most likely to produce one. Their kits are resin, but are engineered much like styrene kits. Prices are more than for styrene, but not too bad. 

http://www.gaso-line.eu/news/gas-complet.htm

• Like 1

Might buy a 1/48 armour kit?? Thankfully the Ex-Girlie is in Australia or she'd die laughing. I have ahem several in he stash and am actually starting to build them.

Early Tamiya 1/48 were a bit basic with metal chassis (which I hate) but the later releases are much, much better. The JS 2 is a very nice kit for any scale. 

HobbyBoss KV series is very good too, Lillie a 7 year old member of our club is doing very well with hers. T-34 very intricate and the tracks can be a pain, Shermans and LCM not too good although most of the Shermans can be corrected with some work and they're cheap.

We're fortunate in that most of the 1/48 resin producers are very good indeed although not everybody lurves resin so much.

• Like 1

Like Silverfox I only do 1/48 armour. Model size is the main reason plus they go well with the 1/48 aircraft I do.

The modern Tamiya kits are as good if not better than most 1/35 in my opinion.

Wish there were a lot more out there plus the accessories to go with them.

Dick

You might have guessed I like them. :D

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 10:03 AM, SoftScience said:

I don't know if there is a Char 2 available. 

The French firm Gaso.Line would probably be the most likely to produce one. Their kits are resin, but are engineered much like styrene kits. Prices are more than for styrene, but not too bad. 

http://www.gaso-line.eu/news/gas-complet.htm

Hi,

Thanks.  I'll take a look.

Pat

6 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

I believe Tamiya has a 1/48 scale Churchill tank coming out soon - or possibly already released - when I see one I will Buy it!

It's out. Has been for some time. Hauler does a very nice PE detail set.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

I believe Tamiya has a 1/48 scale Churchill tank coming out soon - or possibly already released - when I see one I will Buy it!

Here's one I made earlier

DPP_1

Brilliant kit

Dick

Edited by jenko
  • Like 5

Looks great!

Have not seen one on the shelves in W. A. yet but since years ago I wrote to Tamiya asking for a 1/48 Churchill I feel duty- bound to buy one when the opportunity arises.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Looks great!

Have not seen one on the shelves in W. A. yet but since years ago I wrote to Tamiya asking for a 1/48 Churchill I feel duty- bound to buy one when the opportunity arises.

Can you write them and ask for an M-60 and T-62? :D

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Gorby said:

And ANYTHING from WWI.

WAKE UP Gorby ….. your dreaming again. :bleh:

Dick

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Gorby said:

And ANYTHING from WWI.

3 minutes ago, jenko said:

WAKE UP Gorby ….. your dreaming again. :bleh:

Dick

I know resin is not the same as injection moulded, but Gaso.line make VERY nice Schneider, St. Chamond and Ft-17 kits.

Tamiya is 3 realeases away from kit #100 in the MM48 series, so maybe we'll get something special, like a motorized Mk iv as #100? 

Who knows? It's fun to speculate.

21 hours ago, Bish said:

Nope, 1/35th only for me when it comes to armour. wouldn't give 48th a first look in the shop let alone a second.

what he said, oh i'll do 1/16th as well

4 hours ago, Gorby said:

And ANYTHING from WWI.

Now that would be good:

But nobody builds 1/48 WW1 armour kits 

So nobody manufactures 1/48 WW1 armour kits (Except for some cottage industry releases)

So nobody builds 1/48 WW1 armour kits

So nobody manufactures 1/48 WW1 armour kits

So nobody manufactures 1/48 WW1 armour kits

So there’s really no point in writing....because everyone knows

Nobody builds 1/48 WW1 armour kits...

Its quite obvious really.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Same as many I expect. Generally, with exceptions e.g. Tamiya 1/48 G4M1, Hasegawa 1/32 Ki-61-1, WW I & II light twin e.g. Bf 110 and single seat aircraft predominantly in 1/48, but armour in 1/35. It's a display space occupancy vs sufficient detail thing. Larger bomber aircraft and contemporary jets 1/72 for the same reason. 

5 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Now that would be good:

But nobody builds 1/48 WW1 armour kits 

So nobody manufactures 1/48 WW1 armour kits (Except for some cottage industry releases)

So nobody manufactures 1/48 WW1 armour kits

So nobody manufactures 1/48 WW1 armour kits

So there’s really no point in writing....because everyone knows

Nobody builds 1/48 WW1 armour kits...

Its quite obvious really.

Dude. Look what I just wrote a few posts above.

12 hours ago, SoftScience said:

but Gaso.line

Have you seen the prices? There are some resin kits but most are about twice the price (or more) than an injection kit. I found a beautiful looking kit a couple of days ago, but even if I could afford it, I wouldn't pay £50 for what is going to be a tiny model.

https://www.blackmikemodels.co.uk/products/lukgraph-48-02-1-48-nash-quad-truck

• Like 1

^^^^^ Ouch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I enjoy 1/48 AFV's ….. but not that much. :analintruder:

Dick

Sticking to Tamiya...…. you know where you stand.

• Like 1