1/32nd FLY Hurricane Mk.I, 3 Sqn, SAAF, East Africa 1941.

Hiya Folks,

I`ve been building this one on and off for a year or so now but I`m finally calling it finished  I`ve always had a soft spot for the South African`s in the East African campaign, especially as I served in the area myself in the 80`s,...... and the FLY kit is very good, if a little fiddly in parts,....... but I can definitely recommend it.  As usual the model was brush painted. I modified an Xtradecal MSG code letter as the kit ones were not accurate and neither were the unit insignia on the nose, only one of which is supplied....... which were replaced by a pair of decals included with a marking masking set.   

Here is the subject aircraft, flown by South African ace Major Jack Frost DFC & bar;

68825caa-486c-4e6d-a4b7-0804da914977.jpg

Here is Frost climbing into a Hurricane, note the 3 Sqn SAAF wasp insignia on the nose with the motto which reads ""Semper Pugnans" or "Always Fighting",;

3764bcc0-8369-4534-850b-fc9be41d55bd.jpg

And to provide some mood for the campaign location,......3 Sqn SAAF Hurricane Mk.I`s hiding under what we referred to as `sweetheart bushes' when I served there,......the thorns are huge and very, very painful,......hence the name!!;

4faece12-b8d5-4b4a-8b5e-020e93a8ed96.jpg

And here is the model;

resized_2d97af02-e7bc-4cff-b01c-79599917

resized_b6ade70e-785e-485a-82cb-7ed82424

resized_cf81f0f8-77ef-46b2-9f97-a1c5a502

resized_f83790da-be97-4c9d-a1cf-8c6fc96c

resized_11937e16-7741-42be-b787-f570ee90

resized_cc261060-ab1b-4e10-ae98-1463c6ab

resized_0af1a0df-0314-4638-9f13-843ec5c1

resized_3160b404-83d5-47a4-ba6e-59ef9afd

resized_b04ecc81-504c-44fa-a93a-947a1abf

resized_b8160c97-5a08-4cfe-8c3f-1a9b1fc0

The 3 spoke wheels are incorrect,.......the very early fabric winged Hurri`s had 5 spokes and the rest had 4 spokes,.... but I couldn`t find any replacements and personally I can live with them, even though they also have tread,...... which was also missing from wartime Hurri tyres, I just sanded this down as much as possible

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 52

18 hours ago, tonyot said:

The 3 spoke wheels are incorrect,.......the very early fabric winged Hurri`s had 5 spokes and the rest had 4 spokes

From photos, it looks like all the L**** and N**** serial planes (first two batches, both fabric and metal winged) have the 5 spoke wheel, after that all 4 spoke.

where the 3 spoke idea came from is very confusing, I have seen one photo of a warbird hurricane so fitted.... 

Unless Fly have had the bad idea of trusting Italeri's "research",  which is the first kit that had this "feature"

Note,  if you have leftover Spitfire hubs (not sure about 32nd, but  48th and 72nd Eduard kits have multiples) these can be used to replace incorrect Hurricane hubs...

Lovely model @tonyot   

:goodjob:

• Like 1

Tony,

She's luvverly! You haven't lost your touch, I see. Beautifully finished and subtly weathered. You should be proud of this one! Now you need a CBI IIc to go with this one! 👍Regards,

Mike

P.S. Been playing with my new 1/72  Arma Hurricane Mk 1 kits- can't decide which Finnish Mk 1 I want to do! Decisions, decisions! BTW, KPE does a very nice pre-painted etched set for Finnish Mk 1's that has the extra armor plate behind the seat that the Finns evidently fitted.

• Like 1

Thank you everybody for your very kind comments.

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Tony,

She's luvverly! You haven't lost your touch, I see. Beautifully finished and subtly weathered. You should be proud of this one! Now you need a CBI IIc to go with this one! 👍Regards,

Mike

P.S. Been playing with my new 1/72  Arma Hurricane Mk 1 kits- can't decide which Finnish Mk 1 I want to do! Decisions, decisions! BTW, KPE does a very nice pre-painted etched set for Finnish Mk 1's that has the extra armor plate behind the seat that the Finns evidently fitted.

Cheers Mike,........ I`ve already done a 1/32nd India/Burma based Hurri Mk.IIc,....... the old Revell kit with Grey Matter Resin conversion;

resized_c1de8a14-ea8a-4451-91d7-eb085639

Personally I like the Finnish Hurri`s wearing the original British colours,..... but the later scheme is lovely too,...... good find re the etched parts.

12 hours ago, Stealthman said:

Very nice indeed. Grey matter figures do a set of 4 spoke wheels with U/C doors - type in 1/32 Hurricane on Ebay

Cheers mate,...... I`ve used Grey Matter parts lots of times but I`d totally forgotten about them! I have a few more kits so may invest in some wheels sets.

11 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

From photos, it looks like all the L**** and N**** serial planes (first two batches, both fabric and metal winged) have the 5 spoke wheel, after that all 4 spoke.

where the 3 spoke idea came from is very confusing, I have seen one photo of a warbird hurricane so fitted.... 

Unless Fly have had the bad idea of trusting Italeri's "research",  which is the first kit that had this "feature"

Note,  if you have leftover Spitfire hubs (not sure about 32nd, but  48th and 72nd Eduard kits have multiples) these can be used to replace incorrect Hurricane hubs...

Lovely model @tonyot   

:goodjob:

Cheers Troy,....... yeah I fear that some of the research for the FLY kit may have come from modern flying aircraft! 

All the best and thanks again everybody,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Im going to send you an airbrush!!  Not that you need it as your brush finishes are superb, but thinking of the time you would save using an airbrush instead of a brush you should be easily able to complete another ten builds a year😁

Lovely build Tony. 

I have the Mk1, the IIB, C and D to do so, so Im pleased the kit is a good one

Regards

Bruce

• Haha 1

Tony,

That's a beautiful CBI Mk IIc! I might have known, if it starts with an H, then you've built it! Well done! (Guessing you are going to lay in a case of the upcoming 1/72 Airfix B-25B release, so you can do all 16 Doolittle Raiders?)

Mike

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

Im going to send you an airbrush!!  Not that you need it as your brush finishes are superb, but thinking of the time you would save using an airbrush instead of a brush you should be easily able to complete another ten builds a year😁

Lovely build Tony. 

I have the Mk1, the IIB, C and D to do so, so Im pleased the kit is a good one

Regards

Bruce

Haha,......  made me chuckle that,.....cheers mate!

The cockpit assembly is quite fiddly,.....you might want to use some thicker plastic card for the armour plating,......and if you want to have the canopy open you`ll have to remove quite a bit of the `dog house' behind the pilot,...... I used their vacuformed canopy and still had to remove quite a bit! The windscreen wasn`t a very good fit on mine either. Also when bending the brass cover around the wing........ it is best to heat it up and anneal it first as it is otherwise quite stiff. Somebody with your experience will have no bother and I cannot wait to see what you do with them,...... the colour scheme opportunities are endless!

Cheers

Tony

5 hours ago, tonyot said:

Somebody with your experience will have no bother and I cannot wait to see what you do with them,...... the colour scheme opportunities are endless!

Cheers

Tony

Well you say that Tony, but Ive still got a half built Marauder Mk1 sitting in the cupboard, after cutting a wing short!!!

Thanks you for the heads ups on the Fly Kit.  I think the first one out of the gate will be the IID as a 6 SQN tank strafer

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacificmustang said:

Well you say that Tony, but Ive still got a half built Marauder Mk1 sitting in the cupboard, after cutting a wing short!!!

Thanks you for the heads ups on the Fly Kit.  I think the first one out of the gate will be the IID as a 6 SQN tank strafer

Cheers

Bruce

I`ll look forward to that mate,..... I have the 1/24th scale Trumpeter Mk.IId and it is going to be wearing either 6 Sqn, 7 Sqn SAAF or a SEAC one from 20 Sqn,..... decisions decisions,.....hence the reason why it isn`t built yet!!! 

I am quite taken by the nose markings seen on these 6 Sqn flying can openers (apparently the insignia was added for the filming,..or so I`ve read!) and if I can re create them then that should sway matters! This might be of use to you too?;