1/50 Artesania Latina revenue cutter Dallas

Hello,

I have started building the Artesania Latina revenue cutter Dallas, 1815.  During the early 19th century, the American Revenue Marine (Coast Guard) was engaged in a variety of roles, from enforcement of revenue laws to the suppression of slave trading and piracy. The Dallas is typical of those cutters employed by the Revenue Marine at that time.  This is my second wooden scale model ship (my first was the Artesania Latina schooner Rhoda Mary, also posted on this website).

This is still in its early stages but I thought I'd post some images of the build so far.  I wasn't happy with the bow and stern fillers provided in the kit, so I added some balsa blocks to fill in allowing more surface area for the glue to bond to.  The planking is going slowly as I only have enough plank clamps to do two planks per night, but it is beginning to take shape.

As always, comments and suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,

Iain White

IMG_0682IMG_0683

IMG_0688

IMG_0689

IMG_0690

IMG_0731

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Great choice of subjects, Iain.

Having served a summer aboard USCGC Eagle & 2 years on a square topsail schooner out of San Francisco, I feel all kinds of connected to these old Revenue Cutters. Do carry on!

Cheers, -Lars

• 3 weeks later...

First layer of hull planking is now complete and ready for sanding...

IMG_0779IMG_0780

… and sanding completed.

IMG_0793

Next steps are to do the deck planking and then the outer (finish) hull planking.  I'm up to step 6 in the plans.  Lots more to go...  Iain

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Another update.  The outer hull planking is now complete and sanded.  Note that the stem-piece, keel, and stern-post are only temporarily tacked in.  These pieces and the rudder were of different shades of walnut wood, so I stained them to make them all look the same.  The contrast in color should look good.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/167184123@N04/47947318811/in/dateposted-public/

In addition the deck planking is also complete.  I used black rigging thread to simulate the caulking between the planks.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/167184123@N04/47947274612/in/dateposted-public/

Next steps are to add the wale, waterway, stem-post, keel, and stern-post - steps 7 through 11.

• 2 months later...

Time for another progress report.  I have completed the hull and varnished it (steps 1 through 11).  Looking good so far.  I said in an earlier post that the stem-piece, keel, stern-post and rudder were of different shades of walnut wood so I stained them.  I continued this theme by staining the bulwark.  The instructions called for one strip of white wood for the wale but I added a second strip of stained walnut to give it a more dramatic effect of dark-white-dark wood.  In addition I planked the transom using stained walnut strips.  The eagle, stars and lettering on the transom are after market items, as well as the chains to the rudder.  What do you think? 

I had trouble getting the rudder in - it isn't sitting quite right.  I had to file into the transom to install it, but if I filed any more I was worried that I might cut through the transom.  The deck could have been about 3 mm longer to prevent this.  In addition I wasn't happy with the way the name "DALLAS" on the transom looks.  The D is slightly at an angle (super glue set up faster than I could manage) and the name is off center.  Oh well, I still think the added details look good.

Up next are the deck fixtures (steps 12 through 20).

IMG_1139

IMG_1169

IMG_1170

IMG_1183

IMG_1172 IMG_1181

IMG_1182

• Like 8

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement.  Before I start with the deck fixtures, I thought I had better attach the hull to the display base and make sure that it is level.  There wasn't a display base provided in this kit. 

Iain

IMG_1188

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I have just finished installing all of the deck fixtures.  This concludes all the work to be done on the deck and hull of the model.  I will now move on to the construction of the masts and spars and their eventual rigging.  Iain

IMG_1279 IMG_1280 IMG_1281 IMG_1282

• Like 9

• 2 months later...