This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Des

Scam Standard Hits Rock Bottom

Had a telephone call earlier this afternoon from 'Steve' at a well known Telecom company who was very concerned about the number of attacks he had recorded on my internet account recently.

Decided to waste his time so stayed on the line only next to be addressed as someone who does things with his mother that he really should not be doing with his mother and told to switch my computer on so that he could fix the computer which apparently is similarly inclined.

Had to inform Steve that he had failed the audition miserably , completely lacked entertainment value and hoped that he had not actually parted with money for his woeful script.

At least African war criminals and corrupt politicians looking for the morally challenged to help them get their ill-gotten gains out of the country used to use a little imagination in their scams.

Edited by Des

Des are you sure it wasn't Angus Council trying to recoup some money to pay for their Parking Fees fiasco?

Duncan B

Do your "Steves" etc all have mainly sub-continental accents ?

We get Robin, Patrick, Glenn and all manner of "western" names allegedly owned by sub-continental gentlemen and ladies, all of whom hold the wellbeing of my computer as a matter of great importance.

Rog

2 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Des are you sure it wasn't Angus Council trying to recoup some money to pay for their Parking Fees fiasco?

Duncan B

Reckon that it was a 'Steve' or close relative that conned them into that particular technological idiocy , not sure how you can make a quarter of a million in profits every year when nobody uses the car parks and you are paying through the nose for a management company to run the scheme and collect any fees.      Parked in Millgate in Arbroath last week while giving a family member a lift to deal with some business and the only other cars parked in it were fellow 'get out of jail free ' card holders meanwhile the surrounding restriction free residential streets were jam-packed on both sides which I gather is par for the course across the county.

36 minutes ago, roginoz said:

We get Robin, Patrick, Glenn and all manner of "western" names allegedly owned by sub-continental gentlemen and ladies, all of whom hold the wellbeing of my computer as a matter of great importance.

Rog

They get quite flustered when you respond by continually repeating ' that's not your real name , what's your real name' again and again.

Do they have standards, these scammers ?

7 hours ago, roginoz said:

Rog

We've got those rectal orifices here, too. I usually save my most colourful words for them, after letting them natter on for a few minutes.

Chris

I feel a bit left out that I never get these phone calls. I don’t even get double glazing companies. I think I must be doing something wrong.

2 hours ago, goggsy said:

I feel a bit left out that I never get these phone calls. I don’t even get double glazing companies. I think I must be doing something wrong.

No need to feel left out.

If you'd like to leave your number, I'm sure we could get you added to all the lists.... :whistle:

No, I’ve never been the subject of any if these scams, either. I too, feel a bit left out ☹️

On on the other hand, Des mentioned African war criminals. I did have Charles Taylor (ex Liberian president) in my office once. Charming chappie, for a murdering bar steward.

Graham

6 hours ago, thorfinn said:

No need to feel left out.

If you'd like to leave your number, I'm sure we could get you added to all the lists.... :whistle:

Nah, it’s all right mate, I’ll cope.

I had one a couple of years ago who after telling him that no I hadn't got a computer he asked me was I  sure and advised me to go upstairs and check my children weren't using one

Flaw was on his part that I was at work!!

And we have no upstairs!!

I managed to see through his plan 

I just got this call less than an hour ago. Two calls, actually. Apparently,  Canada Revenue are sending the RCMP to arrest me for unpaid taxes and unless I give them the appropriate information ( SIN #, etc ) the arrest warrant will be issued for me. Guess my response? Hint- I only used two words.

Chris

1 hour ago, Vince1159 said:

Get Stuffed?.....

Close enough.

Chris

This is the main reason why I hardly ever pick up my home phone anymore, if it’s not these morons it’s some other charity society trying to fleece me of more money. I once asked a ‘scammer’ “Sorry, what time did you say I can I pick up my Vindaloo again?”... the line seemed to fail shorty after that! 

Cheers and (trust no one)... Dave. 

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I just got this call less than an hour ago. Two calls, actually. Apparently,  Canada Revenue are sending the RCMP to arrest me for unpaid taxes and unless I give them the appropriate information ( SIN #, etc ) the arrest warrant will be issued for me. Guess my response? Hint- I only used two words.

Chris

One starting with "Foxtrot", the other with "Oscar"?

21 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

One starting with "Foxtrot", the other with "Oscar"?

That's it.

Chris

Lastly I've also received a call, to check whether I was interested in easy money. Sure I was, so they told me to go to a certain address... I told them that I understood something else about easy money, I gave them my account-number, they put some money on it and done... for some reason they hung up, never called back, and worst of all, they did nothing with the information given... 

On 2/24/2019 at 7:09 PM, dogsbody said:

Chris

Fairly Obvious :swear:

not exactly phone calls but still exceedingly funny

It's month end, so I get the classic Virgin Media payment failure email.