Screw Starter

Mark Whittaker

Hello all, this is my 1st post so please be gentle with me! I've just bought a Pocher K72 Rolls Royce which has been built to full chassis stage but a long while ago. My plan is to strip it down and start again. I think I've got most of the tools I need, apart from a screw starter. I've received today a Sealey AK4318 that I ordered from Amazon but the screws are too big or too small for it. I want one that adjusts, but can't seem to find one in the UK. I know there's one on MMC site but I'd rather not have to pay that much or wait for delivery from the  US.  Anyone know where I can get one from in UK or EU? Many thanks! 

• 2 months later...

At first I wondered what a "screw starter" even was, now I understand, similar to the shield that slides over a screw on some Dewalt magnetic drivers, helps prevent the dreaded screw falling over and the drill tip jamming a nice big hole in the surface.

Anyway, one thing I learned as a carpenter, especially when working with finish wood, even for driving nails, I would always drill a hole first to prevent the nail from folding and prevent the wood from splitting, a common problem with quarter round and other trim.

For your usage, if you haven't done so already, drilling pilot holes can help to prevent the accidents you are concerned about, if I am indeed understanding the original question.

Hope that helps,

Anthony

Now that is a clever little tool. I keep forgetting the incredibly small scale we work in, that clears up the haze I often live in, thanks for getting back to me an letting me know what the solution was, there by finally understanding the problem as well!

Cheers,

Anthony