Chinese knock off airbrushes

19paulos67

Just bought a new compressor that came with a couple of airbrushes, one of the airbrushes is a knock off of a custom Micron. thought i would give the airbrush ago as getting frustrated with faulty badger 150. I  cannot believe the results, i can get a finer smoother line than my badger with a fine needle. i think i would definately be sold on a custom micron if i had the money!

Question is now, i need a new airbrush as i guess the cheap chinese knock of will only last another 10mins! anyone got any suggestions, been using a badger 150 for a long time now. quite like the idea of a gravity feed now. usually do camo free hand so want something that gives fine control. probably only looking to spend £120.

By the way the as186S compressor is not that bad either that came with the airbrush.

If you just want something for the detail work, have a look at the Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Silverline.

Two versions that we sell regularly;

Evolution Silverline Solo - 0.2mm nozzle set, 2ml removable paint cup and a preset handle  on the back to help with detail work, only £100

Comes apart for cleaning without any special tools, spare needles are currently £9 spare nozzles are currently £13

H&S Silverline Solo

Or if you want something to do the area work as well, the H&S Silverline 2in1.   As the first brush, but includes a 5mp paint cup for area work and a 0.4mm needle, nozzle and aircap for area work for £130

H&S Evolution Silverline 2in1

You can also add a 0.15mm nozzle set for ultra fine work or a 0.6mm nozzle set for very large area work.

You can also buy a micro paint cup that allows you to use tiny amounts of paint for fine detailing and at the other end of the size range there is a   15ml and 50ml paint cup that can be bought.

We have a demo brush at model shows for people to try.

Paul

16 minutes ago, 19paulos67 said:

Question is now, i need a new airbrush as i guess the cheap chinese knock of will only last another 10mins!

IIRC, I think it was @nheather  said, if they work, they are OK,  but some are not well made, and it's luck of the draw.   

If it works well,  treat it well,  maybe useful as  back up.

For a new one, you ay want to see if there is anywhere near you which has ones you can try out,  depending on where you are in Kent,  there is Airbrushes.com.

https://www.airbrushes.com  who are in Lancing, near Worthing.

I can honestly say that I've been using one of these Chinese knock-offs for quite some time and am really happy with the results and control I manage to get. I initially started with a Paasche suction feed AB and was having about one good paint session in every five visits to my spray booth. I'd read about these suction fed airbrushes, however didn't really want to spend another couple of hundred dollars quite so soon after the first outlay. A mate of mine put me onto an eBay link and within two weeks I was enjoying the benefits of airbrushing with a unit that felt so much easier to control. I admit, it's components cannot compare with the original Iwata product it tries to emulate, however for 10% of its price I cannot see the real product being 90% better. 

Anyway, I'm sure some of these knock offs are better than others, however it's a great cheap way to get into airbrushing and in my case increased my productivity and happiness of the hobby by the bucketload. Now I realise that this does not answer the OP's question, however thought it would be timely to add to those thinking about parking there hairy sticks for a while and cheaply experimenting with this airbrushing phenomena. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I can honestly say that I've been using one of these Chinese knock-offs for quite some time and am really happy with the results and control I manage to get. I initially started with a Paasche suction feed AB and was having about one good paint session in every five visits to my spray booth. I'd read about these suction fed airbrushes, however didn't really want to spend another couple of hundred dollars quite so soon after the first outlay. A mate of mine put me onto an eBay link and within two weeks I was enjoying the benefits of airbrushing with a unit that felt so much easier to control. I admit, it's components cannot compare with the original Iwata product it tries to emulate, however for 10% of its price I cannot see the real product being 90% better. 

Anyway, I'm sure some of these knock offs are better than others, however it's a great cheap way to get into airbrushing and in my case increased my productivity and happiness of the hobby by the bucketload. Now I realise that this does not answer the OP's question, however thought it would be timely to add to those thinking about parking there hairy sticks for a while and cheaply experimenting with this airbrushing phenomena. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

I agree 100%, first impressions are pretty good, i picked it up and got instant results which is more than i can say for my badger.

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

I recommend checking the price of spare parts if you are unsure whether to go with Iwata or H&S. I found that H&S prices are significantly cheaper.

Is that really a valid issue? My HP-C is 20 years old and all original, have never had to buy anything for it. I suppose if you're in the habit of dropping your airbrush point first onto the floor the price of parts may have some bearing, but... not really an issue IMO.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rob G said:

Is that really a valid issue? My HP-C is 20 years old and all original, have never had to buy anything for it. I suppose if you're in the habit of dropping your airbrush point first onto the floor the price of parts may have some bearing, but... not really an issue IMO.

Yes it is a valid issue. Sometimes things go wrong, accidents happen and even though Iwata owners think that it's sacrilege to suggest that anything Iwata can be anything less than perfect, manufacturing defects do happen. I was VERY careful with my Neo but the nozzle cracked after about a year. I found it as cheap to replace it with a H&S Ultra.

I've never used Harder and Steenbeck so won't comment on those. But I have used Badger (150 & 200) and really didn't get on well with either. I've got one Iwata the Revolution CR, which is a good brush but nothing special in my opinion and makes my hand ache after use, as I find it uncomfortable to hold. The best brushes I've used by far are the Tamiya HG wide trigger/pistol grip brush and my GSI Creos Procon Boy 0.4mm, they are just so reliable and comfortable in use. No-one ever seems to take notice of anything but Iwata brushes. But there are alternatives out there that are just as good if not better. I believe Tamiya brushes are actually made by Iwata..

Sorry if my earlier comment came across a bit harsh @Rob G . I've had problems before with someone who would rather insult me than consider the possibility that Iwata may be anything less than total perfection.

Afternoon Chaps :) 

To be quite honest, I use nothing but the 'chinese knockoffs'. I started on one of those badger single actions in the blister packs, which is ok, if you want a paint thrower (just my opinion) but it taught me the basics. 

The el cheapo's here are sold by a company called Air Craft. Spare parts are available and I have only had to change o rings on the trigger on one of them. They really do work just fine, perfect for me. I have four of them (all gravity feed) and the oldest I bought probably 8 years ago. 

I was also given an Iwata HP-M mini airbrush which is quite natty, but only really use it for touch ups or 72nd scale as its a single action.

The thing I like the most, If one does pack up, Its cheap enough to just buy a replacement. 

Mad Steve  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Sorry if my earlier comment came across a bit harsh @Rob G . I've had problems before with someone who would rather insult me than consider the possibility that Iwata may be anything less than total perfection.

No apology needed, and no insult intended. Iwatas are a manufactured product and while they are made to high standards, bad things slip through (I know aaall about design and manufacturing defects.I work in heavy industry, where it's a given that nothing will fit first time). It's the nature of the beast. I've read horror stories from owners of every make, nothing's perfect. My experience has been pleasant, yours was not. However, 2 is a very small sample from which to draw any conclusions...

☮️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

Yes it is a valid issue. Sometimes things go wrong, accidents happen and even though Iwata owners think that it's sacrilege to suggest that anything Iwata can be anything less than perfect, manufacturing defects do happen. I was VERY careful with my Neo but the nozzle cracked after about a year. I found it as cheap to replace it with a H&S Ultra.

Dont forget that the Neo range are only branded by Iwata and not made by them, I think it’s a Korean company and not by one of their  premium companies. 

20 hours ago, 19paulos67 said:

Thankyou for your suggestions, i guess its a toss up between the iwata a H&S, these two are often compared to each other the H&S has the edge for me at the moment with its adaptability.

Given the choice of those two, I’d go with the one owned by Iwata 😀

I have iwatas but I also admire the H&S range.  Things going for the Iwata is that they are very well made and reliable, have a huge following and well supported.  They are quite old designs, not to say that is not a bad thing, if it works don’t change it.  But they lack innovations which I guess is one of the reasons that they recently bought H&S.  The downside of Iwatas (excluding the eclipse) is that spares can be eyewatering expensive and the nozzles are tiny and easily damaged.  This also makes them slight more difficult to strip down and clean than the H&S.  I said ‘excluding the Eclipse’ and that is because its design is quite similar to H&S - H&S make a big deal of their nozzle design but Iwata were doing it first with the Eclipse.

Having said all that, the H&S are also well made, maybe just a little short of the Iwata but not much in it.  Typically you get more bells and whistles for the same price point with H&S.  The design is similar to the eclipse making it easy to strip down and clean.  Most importantly, the price of spare parts is much cheaper than the equivalent Iwata parts - maybe of the order 50%.

If I lost my current brushes and had to buy afresh I’d probably give H&S a go.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather
  • Like 1

Thank you all for comments, i think i am going to go for the H&S, its an extra £30 but if i bought the Iwata i think i would probably end up getting another needle for finer work. Having said that i dont know what either are like compared to my Badger 150 with a fine needle, i used to be able to get some really fine lines for camo work.

I  have Iwata and Tamiya, and they are both excellent airbrushes, if it's just about the money I would say Tamiya pips Iwata because they are the cheaper one.

I had H&S but just couldn't get on with the triggers for some reason.

Iwata spares are expensive, but I've yet to have any reason to buy any, and one HP-C plus is coming up 10 years old, and the only thing showing it's age is the brass showing through on the inside bottom of the paint cup due to cleaning

2 hours ago, 19paulos67 said:

Thank you all for comments, i think i am going to go for the H&S, its an extra £30 but if i bought the Iwata i think i would probably end up getting another needle for finer work. Having said that i dont know what either are like compared to my Badger 150 with a fine needle, i used to be able to get some really fine lines for camo work.

What's wrong with the 150? You should get a gravity feed airbrush anyway but my 150 still has its place.

I'd be happy to cast an eye over your 150 if you want. I've never had anything on mine go wrong that I couldn't fix for peanuts.

Hi Jamie,

nothing was wrong with the 150 for about 10 years then all of the sudden when doing fine work it started to spray intermittently as if the needle was drying, i never had the trouble before and use the same paints. i read somewhere that this could be the needle bearing so i replaced that, bought a new fine needle and head but still the same issue!

Any ideas?

On 21/02/2019 at 21:02, little-cars said:

If you just want something for the detail work, have a look at the Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Silverline.

Two versions that we sell regularly;

Evolution Silverline Solo - 0.2mm nozzle set, 2ml removable paint cup and a preset handle  on the back to help with detail work, only £100

Comes apart for cleaning without any special tools, spare needles are currently £9 spare nozzles are currently £13

H&S Silverline Solo

Or if you want something to do the area work as well, the H&S Silverline 2in1.   As the first brush, but includes a 5mp paint cup for area work and a 0.4mm needle, nozzle and aircap for area work for £130

H&S Evolution Silverline 2in1

You can also add a 0.15mm nozzle set for ultra fine work or a 0.6mm nozzle set for very large area work.

You can also buy a micro paint cup that allows you to use tiny amounts of paint for fine detailing and at the other end of the size range there is a   15ml and 50ml paint cup that can be bought.

We have a demo brush at model shows for people to try.

Paul

Just purchased the Silverline 2 in 1, hopefully it will give me the same service my badger gave me for 10+ years.

• Like 2