Tamiya 1/35 Char B1bis “Patrolling the ruins” (picture heavy)

Hi All

This is my first AFV kit for about 30 years, having been heavily into radio controlled tanks. It’s one of my favourite tanks, ahead of its time in many ways.

The diorama is Fields of Glory Bocage house on a Vignette base “In the Ruins” The interior of the house is scratch built using balsa and cardboard. Free French flags and period wallpaper are ETA. 

Paint is Tamiya acrylics, and weathering Vallejo Dark rust, Oiled earth, and Thick mud, plus AK Europe earth pigments.

In addition to the Tamiya kit, I’ve used FRIULMODEL metal tracks and an RB Models brass aerial. I used metal tracks after seeing the wear pattern on the Char B1 bis that was at Bovington last year for TankFest.

Char B1 bis

Patrolling the ruins

I think I got the wear about right. What I have struggled with is the corrosion on the exhausts. I used a Dark Oxide wash, but couldn’t get the right finish. Any suggestions would be great. Compare the real one to my effort☹️

Char B1 bis

Patrolling the ruins

Patrolling the ruins

Patrolling the ruins

Patrolling the ruins

Patrolling the ruins

Patrolling the ruins

Patrolling the ruins

Patrolling the ruins

Patrolling the ruins

Patrolling the ruins

Patrolling the ruins

Patrolling the ruins

Patrolling the ruins

Patrolling the ruins

Patrolling the ruins

Patrolling the ruins

Hope you enjoy. Happy for any comments.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by ModellerMick
  • Like 15

Great looking tank for such a long spell between builds,Mybe some ochre pastels on the exhaust.I use some real rust from bare tin that has weathered and has rust,just scape it of and use as a powder,I also use steel wool the kind you use in washing pots and pans in the kitchen wet this and leave it to rust then grind it into a powder.can not get any more real than this,Cheers.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RT Nevada said:

Great looking diorama! I have to admit I’m not too familiar with French armor but this makes me want to learn more 👍

RT

Thanks for your comments. There is something about French interwar armour that appeals to me. From the Renault Ft17 which was just a scouting tank, to the medium SOMAU S35, and of course the Char B1 bis, I think they were tanks ahead of their time. It was the French military doctrine that limited their impact. The fall of France and the German occupation prevented the phenomenal advances in tanks that the rest of the world saw. I can’t remember who quoted, “Nothing promotes progress faster than warfare”

Mick

Edited by ModellerMick

2 hours ago, Jim Wasley said:

Great looking tank for such a long spell between builds,Mybe some ochre pastels on the exhaust.I use some real rust from bare tin that has weathered and has rust,just scape it of and use as a powder,I also use steel wool the kind you use in washing pots and pans in the kitchen wet this and leave it to rust then grind it into a powder.can not get any more real than this,Cheers.

Hi Jim

Thanks for the advice. Fortunately the exhaust and shields come of quite easily, so I should be able to fix them without affecting the rest of the model . I was even thinking of replacing the shrouds with mild steel and letting them rust👍

Cheers

Mick

• Like 1