D H Chipmunk

jaw

Advice please! Did the RAF operated D H Chipmunk have anti-stall strips in front of the tailplanes in the same way as some Tiger Moths did? If so how long were they?

Thanks, 

John

Technically they're spin recovery strakes - they improved recovery (marginally) but had nothing to do with spin entry, however DH themselves called them "anti-spin strakes"!

These were retrofitted (rather quickly) to the RAF Chipmunk fleet in 1958 - the RAF's last non-straked Chipmunks were those that returned from 114 Squadron on Cyprus in very early 1959. They remained fitted from then on.

So the only RAF Chipmunks without strakes were in the overall silver/yellow bands scheme.

Edited by Rod Blievers
text

3 hours ago, Rod Blievers said:

Technically they're spin recovery strakes - they improved recovery (marginally) but had nothing to do with spin entry, however DH themselves called them "anti-spin strakes"!

These were retrofitted (rather quickly) to the RAF Chipmunk fleet in 1958 - the RAF's last non-straked Chipmunks were those that returned from 114 Squadron on Cyprus in very early 1959. They remained fitted from then on.

So the only RAF Chipmunks without strakes were in the overall silver/yellow bands scheme.

Thanks Rod - that answers my question admirably. I shall add the strakes to my Chippie

Cheers,

John

46 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Thanks Dave - quite fascinating reading. I had no idea that Chippies were being used in such a role. On another tack does the Britain at War series have anything on Operation Firedog - ie the RAF operations in Malaya in the early 50's?

Cheers,

John

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 7:37 AM, tweeky said:

Chipmunk TMK10 we had to of them in Berlin for aerial photo duties. (AKA spying) 

Former Group Captain Hans Neubroch, who passed away in 2015, was one of the Chipmunk pilots who flew surveillance flights in and around East Berlin under the auspices of BRIXMIS. I He was a true gentleman, had a wonderful sense of humor, and had an incredible flying career in the RAF, beginning as a Mosquito pathfinder navigator and later as a pilot, ending up flying Lightnings- with everything in between. I remember his sharing several anecdotes about the spy flights, with him flying the Chipmunk from the back seat and an observer with a 35mm camera in the front seat. On one of his flights, a SAM site was discovered and photographed, and the photos shared with the U.S. I have the entries from his logbook that list all the Lightning single and two-seaters he flew so that I can someday build examples of both types as a tribute to an unbelievable aviator and gentleman. If you are interested, I believe there is a collection of his experiences  that has been put into print- titled  Poppers and Gretsie, available on that book seller site that starts with an A.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling and grammar

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 6:27 PM, Rod Blievers said:

Tweeky - yep, and if you look at my photo there's one (WG478).

Tat was one of the replacements (new Radio fit) We had WZ862 and WD289 when I was stationed in Berlin. Had a good few flights whist working on them. Also flew on an Airtest in a Pembroke and a wall patrol in one of 7Flt AAC Gazelles.