This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
bentwaters81tfw

Peter Tork of The Monkees has died

I always like the Monkees.

They never seemed to get the credit they deserved.

For a TV band they were pretty good.

3 minutes ago, Tzulscha said:

They never seemed to get the credit they deserved.

For a TV band they were pretty good.

Agreed, RIP Peter.

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

I've long been a daydream believer. RIP Peter & thanks for the joy.

Steve.

Four blokes caught up in the music business grinder. I always liked the music put out under the Monkees banner, whether they actually played it themselves or not. Most of my musical taste involves musicians who demonstrate high levels of competence &/or virtuosity with their instruments or composition skills whether classical, minimalist, techno or rock orientated but I've always had a soft spot for really well produced & executed "pop" music such as the Monkees,ABBA, FGTH etc. The Monkees were a product of their time & provided me with a lot of pleasure at the time, both through their tv programme & their music. Petes death makes me feel slightly melancholy as a result.

RIP Peter Tork... I loved the Monkees on TV as a kid for the crazy gang humour, filed alongside the Banana Splits. It was only later that I found out how good the music really was. It should be, since they had some of the best songwriters in the business providing material, and when they weren’t playing their instruments, it was The Wrecking Crew that were. The only difference between the Monkees songs and hundreds of other monster hits of the 60s is that people knew it wasn’t them playing on their records. But Peter, Mickey, Mike and Davey were the band we knew (and loved at the age of 7...)

best,

M.

RIP Peter. Yet another part of my youth slips away. 

12 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

It was only later that I found out how good the music really was. It should be, since they had some of the best songwriters in the business providing material, and when they weren’t playing their instruments, it was The Wrecking Crew that were. The only difference between the Monkees songs and hundreds of other monster hits of the 60s is that people knew it wasn’t them playing on their records.

The early hits everyone knows,  but then they practiced, and the played and wrote their own songs, and then .... well,  my memory is this, at some point in the midy 80's, turning on Channel 4 at about 10 on a Monday night, and finding the Monkees, on, "this is weird I thought " (as then Channel 4 was the alternative channel) ....

and then being more baffled....

It was this....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_(film)

"While the film's music disappointed fans of the band's more traditional pop sound, it features what some critics considered to be some of The Monkees' best recorded work, including contributions by Carole King and Harry Nilsson. Jack Nicholson compiled the soundtrack album, which approximates the flow of the movie and includes large portions of the dialogue"

If you like oddball 60's films try it....   If you just like the manufactured Monkees you may not...   it's now a cult classic...

neat article here, 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2011/apr/28/monkees-head-jack-nicholson-interview

and if you google "Monkees head"  there are write up of Nesmith and Dolenz  at a 50th anniversary screening...

Hope of interest to some of you. 

Unless it was a regular thing,it would have been late '84-early '85, because I watched "Head" at college in exactly that timeframe. It was an eye-opener, and so not what I'd got used to 10 years earlier...

That said, watch Hard Day's Night as a grown-up, and it's not what you'd have expected, either...

[Bumping into Mickey Dolenz in Cambridge M&S a couple of weeks later was the surrealistic icing on the cake, for sure...]

best,

M.