Flanker project questions

Florent François

Hello!

I am kind in the middle of my "documentation quest" about the Flanker family, and coming across some questions. 

First, that'd be my first proper aircraft model, I'm looking to do a few of the flanker Family. Was thinking about doing first either the 2014 Zvezda Su-27SM, or the Revell rebox of the Hasegawa Su-27SM. Those seem to be some good quality models and it sounds like a good "warm up" before the project :D Do you think it would be a good idea? Or should I start with something smaller and more simple? (I'm kind of an aviation nerd so any good model of a jet fighter interests me, or any aircraft for the matter haha, completely open to recommendations).

Secondly, while waiting for the release of the Zvezda Su-30SM, my project could be an Su-30MK, that particular one:

a725c0efa68ce5822205c98be2de6204.jpg

However, I can't seem to find much about it... I found a diecast model at 1:72 but only a few pics online and no profiles or anything, not even sure what the exact color scheme is, it seem to have been a temporary livery at a Paris Airshow and MAKS 2009. From my understanding, I could take a trumpeter Su-30MKK or the old Su-30KN from Zvezda (which seem to be a berkut rebox). From those two aforementioned, which one would be the better kit? Know any other possibilities? Or have I missed that someone made that exact kit already? 

Or maybe I'll get tempted by one of those very colorful twin seat flankers liveries from air forces like Venezuela, or get inspired by some of those fantastic creations in that forum and end up with a totally different aircraft project.

PS: I'm a brush painter, so maybe from your experience, complex camos and those metal shiny part for example exhaust and engine on the flanker may be an issue? 

Thank you very much in advance, 

Cheers!

Edited by Florent François

Hi Florent

Welcome to the wonderful world of Flankers......

The best / most accurate Flanker kit currently avialable is the Zvezda Su-27SM - the Revell kit is a re-box of this kit - it is NOT a Hasegawa kit.

The photos you included is a Su-30MKK - in fact one of the early prototypes in PLAAF colours, retained by Sukhoi as a demonstrator.

You can make it using the Trumpeter Su-30MKK kit - with Begemot decals..... http://begemotdecals.ru/showpos.php?&lang=2&id=45

Happy Flankering...

Ken

PS - You can download the Begemot instruction sheets as .PDF files - they have loads of useful information including colour notes.

Edited by Flankerman
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much guys!

You are really helpful! 

18 hours ago, chris57 said:

Hi Florent and welcome. Either do a search for Flanker or PM a member whose so obsessed with them, he's titled Flankerman. hth cheers Chris Thank you a lot, did indeed a research, came across amazing models, but had some doubts

4 hours ago, Nigel Bunker said:

Bonjour Florent

Here is a LINK to Ken Duffeys website which should help you. Saw some of his models, superb ones, but didn't had the link, that'll be useful!

1 hour ago, Flankerman said:

Hi Florent

Welcome to the wonderful world of Flankers......

The best / most accurate Flanker kit currently avialable is the Zvezda Su-27SM - the Revell kit is a re-box of this kit - it is NOT a Hasegawa kit. my mistake

The photos you included is a Su-30MKK - in fact one of the early prototypes in PLAAF colours, retained by Sukhoi as a demonstrator. Always thought that it was the pre serie labelled as MK

You can make it using the Trumpeter Su-30MKK kit - with Begemot decals..... http://begemotdecals.ru/showpos.php?&lang=2&id=45 This will make my life a lot easier, thank you very much!

Happy Flankering... Thank you very much!

Ken

PS - You can download the Begemot instruction sheets as .PDF files - they have loads of useful information including colour notes.

Cheers,