Kfir C-2

dov

Hi you all

This will become my Kfir C-2. I built it several years ago a C-7with  an Italeri kit and a conversion set from Isracast . This was very difficult, to achieve a proper result.

This time I build 2 Kfir C-2. The first from AMK and the second from Kinetic. The aftermarket products I bought you may see. Beside this, I have as left over a complete conversion set from Isracast for the C-2 and the fuel tank and pylon set from Isracast. Of course, the book about the Kfir too.

My personal linkage to the Kfir is that I had to live with this a/c. Every day over years and months, I could see them on the sky in Israel. I spent so much time there. The dogfight exercises I liked most, to climb up like at a candle in a group of three or four. Several times, I got lost in time or I was sunburned during this.

Now to the build: First, the bad news. The AIRES cockpit set is NOT TO USE!!!!!!!! You will lose the entire front wheel well. The same experience I had with my Skyhawk. You may use parts of it, but that is it! I do not understand how the Aires people can release such a nonsense!

The AMK kit is actually well designed. I could not make out any major flaws. I want to create a C-2 for ground support. That means to install the Kfir MER and the four stations in the back and front for a single bomb. I intended to install the supersonic tank, but there is none in the kit. Anyway, maybe I will take this one from Kinetic or from my resin kit from Isracast. In my case, I would load the Mk. 82 bombs and the Python 3 missile.

The build until today went all straight ahead. I changed the cockpit front part to resin. Here is to mention, that the MB 10 ejection seat was used at late C-2 also. And the dashboard I will change to C-2 standard, since my Aires one is for C-7.

The nose gear: Here I glued all the parts together and drilled holes for a pin to hold the nose wheel. It is an eye catcher on the Kfir, the nose gear!

Tomorrow I will start spraying the cockpit.

Well, so far. If you have any question, you may look at the walk around from our website. I took many many pictures on the Kfir. The history of the development is so interesting, if you may like it, I will give you next times a short intro.

Kc7SwIB.jpg?1

NQZTOG0.jpg

5Xepnfe.jpg

sunROWE.jpg

SFilbtc.jpg

IcMMueE.jpg

KVK6VGC.jpg

vFU0BmI.jpg

asUEdVE.jpg

ydnXscZ.jpg

2DsrqVs.jpg

FO5U3uo.jpg

PzaFJoZ.jpg

8v8bQYc.jpg

P68vqRn.jpg

lP0JEA7.jpg

jTNveXm.jpg

GUSuiLk.jpg

AXifX5m.jpg

Happy modelling

• Like 9

Hi you all

Now my Kfir went on. The airframe I glued together. Without major problems. The cockpit I painted and used the front part from Aires. Here is my warning:

The resin cockpit from Aires you may have a major conflict if you install the HUD. The HUD has no proper position on the resin. Besides that, it is far too big. If Aires took the original HUD, they oversaw the thickness of the glass from the kit. In every way, it collides with the glass. It gets bent or breaks off. Therefore, I took the two resin parts, sideway of the HUD, which are actually mounted on the frame of the front glass and the bottom of the front cockpit. Here you can reduce the evidence of the missing HUD. Or you build a cabriolet. All together it is far away from an improvement of your kit by using resin.

The ejection seat I took from Aires.

The nozzle is funny to install. Just one way and plop. You never get it out to glue it properly. One try, that is it.

Kit parts are quite good; in some zones, there are gaps to fill! No zero gap kit. Far away!

Happy modelling

q5be1NN.jpg

pCxpttd.jpg

Bwccvq3.jpg

XNPi4qu.jpg

ZanTNtZ.jpg

meQ2MbL.jpg

S0pcYsy.jpg

1xfVP6z.jpg

vGvFRJJ.jpg

CdY0WzX.jpg

x21l7ug.jpg

• Like 3

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:39 AM, dov said:

Hi you all

IcMMueE.jpg

:analintruder: Noooiiiceee...!!!

Is this instruction sheet part of the Wingman Fix It or Aires set?

I especially fancy those instruments that go on the windshield interior frame.

Following your build, dov, mate.

:cheers:

Unc2

Nice work!

By the way, AMK includes a centerline super sonic tank, Kinetic 500L wingtanks but unfortunately the wrong shape... Wingman has replacements therefor...

Edited by exdraken
Spelling or brainf.....

Hallo

Your comments:

·        The centerline tank I never thought as an option.

·        Here at this blog now I talk about AMK and AIRES.

·        What I pointed out, was that AIRES cockpit is multiple nonsense. Because of the lack of correct position for the front wheel leg and because of the incorrect size and incorrect position of the HUD.

I am going to finish the build.

Hope to post soon the painted model.

Happy Modelling

Hallo again

Well, the spraying process was well done. Masking is some effort, but actually, all went straight on.

The decaling was some other matter. I used Wingman decals and stencils printed by Cartograph.

·        The geometry from AMK to Kinetic does not fit at all. They must be in all ways two different a/c. There is on every detail so much difference, that I had to abort to use the yellow triangles. All hatches have different size, lights are on different positions and so on and on.…….

·        The decal and stencil material is awful to work with. I used Microsol. Not all decals and stencils set on the surface in the first stage. After taking them out from water, I could place them on the surface and put them on position as required. However, they did not stay in position at all. After I used Microsol, I had to reposition them in the right position. The decals did not want to absorb any Microsol by itself, so that the surface of big decals became inhomogeneity.

·        I suppose that the quality of Cartograph decals is a matter of day and date, but not a constant at all.

I am actually very disappointed from this fact. Decals I loved to work with, was Sky Decals. They are easy to handle and stay on place and in position.

To resume for me: Never trust any product! As you see in this case AIRES resin and the decals, this fact can spoil someone's beautiful hobby.

2cx2391.jpg

U1EMDPS.jpg

gwY6qKJ.jpg

XBspXsA.jpg

1d3osIH.jpg

qs0TYBo.jpg

8cdhPcy.jpg

QERm2wR.jpg

T4APVrT.jpg

Happy modelling

• Like 8

Kfirs in the IAF service camo schemes are the most gorgeous-looking ones. The Hornet Sqn. rule! What a beauty, dov!

Aires stuff can get to be a nag from time to time, but too bad to have learnt about those Cartograf decals going full alien... :hmmm:

Changed yer mind regarding the use of supersonic tanks, huh?

Impressive paint job!

Cheers,

Unc2

Hallo again

Now spraying with clear varnish. First gloss GX112 and the last one was flat GX114.

The final assembly caused me some headache and anger. The main gear gluing area is a horror. A square hole with some tolerances in the wheel well and a plastic part as the main gear strut. This special area in plastic modelling is so troublesome, just ZM showed how to get a fine result. They made the pivot of the main gear strut and according the hole in the wheel well. The F-4 Phantom of Hasegawa is also such a horror. This makes plastic gears collapse easily. Or WW2 a/c, the Bf-109 for instance. The producers of plastic models seldom provide us with kits, which are a joy.

Other small parts are inadequate from the injection process, so that pins are somewhat like mountain hill. In resin I am used to that, but not in plastic.

Well, not more to say.

This blog is closed now, and I will proceed with Kinetic Kfir C-2 with supersonic wing tanks.

Tjpzf0i.jpg

fVhNV7n.jpg

ZTy0MfU.jpg

rluRY8I.jpg

g8lcwcP.jpg

Happy modelling

• Like 3