The Antarctic and Arctic GB: All welcome; We made it to 32!

TonyTiger66

Great to have you with us Mike - especially withyour practical experience

1. TonyTiger66 (host)
  2. MarkSH
  3. Pin
  4. Caerbannog
  5. vppelt68
  6. modelling minion
  7. milktrip
  8. zebra
  9. Rabbit Leader
  10. Romeo Alpha Yankee
  11. Robert Stuart (co-host)
  12. CliffB
  13. John Laidlaw
  14. Vingtor
  15. Colin W
  16. helios16v
  17. whiskey
  18. zegeye
  19. Grandboof
  20. Arniec
  21. dnl42
  22. nimrod54
  23. Ernie
  24. desert falcon
  25. CorsairFoxFourUncle
  26. bootneck

• Thanks 1

You are very welcome John. 

1. TonyTiger66 (host)
  2. MarkSH
  3. Pin
  4. Caerbannog
  5. vppelt68
  6. modelling minion
  7. milktrip
  8. zebra
  9. Rabbit Leader
  10. Romeo Alpha Yankee
  12. CliffB
  13. John Laidlaw
  14. Vingtor
  15. Colin W
  16. helios16v
  17. whiskey
  18. zegeye
  19. Grandboof
  20. Arniec
  21. dnl42
  22. nimrod54
  23. Ernie
  24. desert falcon
  25. CorsairFoxFourUncle
  26. bootneck
  27. John D.C. Masters
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Would love to be a part of it so count me in!!

Still gott a lovely Basler BT67 on the shelf for this👍

cheers, Jan

Hello Jan, and welcome.

Your Bassler BT67 sounds like a good choice for this build.

1. TonyTiger66 (host)
  2. MarkSH
  3. Pin
  4. Caerbannog
  5. vppelt68
  6. modelling minion
  7. milktrip
  8. zebra
  9. Rabbit Leader
  10. Romeo Alpha Yankee
  12. CliffB
  13. John Laidlaw
  14. Vingtor
  15. Colin W
  16. helios16v
  17. whiskey
  18. zegeye
  19. Grandboof
  20. Arniec
  21. dnl42
  22. nimrod54
  23. Ernie
  24. desert falcon
  25. CorsairFoxFourUncle
  26. bootneck
  27. John D.C. Masters
  28. janneman36

2 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I don't think the Aleutians were in that sphere...too far south, right?  

I've an Auster to build...😁

A difficult one John - how do we define the Arctic?

As the climate warms, the Arctic shrinks if defined by temperature, forest line, permafrost, or ice cover. Cultural and political boundaries also vary. The Arctic Circle is the most permanent of the delimitations, although also the polar circle moves very slowly due to the variation of the Earth's axial tilt.

Source: https://www.arcticcentre.org/EN/arcticregion

So far as I can tell, the Aleutains are within the Arctic region, but lie a long way south of the Arctic Circle

Can we get some views on this? I hope  @TonyTiger66 picks up on this, but I'd like to hear from others here.

• Like 1

Please count me in as well. :D

The Swedish armed force have a presence in the Arctic region, so I'll will come up with something suitable to build.

Or perhaps a Russian Boomer from the Murmansk region will fit the bill.

/Bosse

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

A difficult one John - how do we define the Arctic?

So far as I can tell, the Aleutains are within the Arctic region, but lie a long way south of the Arctic Circle

Can we get some views on this? I hope  @TonyTiger66 picks up on this, but I'd like to hear from others here.

First of all a big thank you to @Robert Stuart for all the work he/you Robert have put in here.

I can’t begin to express how grateful I am for your creating and maintaining the list whilst I have been in and out of hospital; mainly in until late yesterday.

I did try a few days ago to put a list together. Then two very, very ill gentleman joined our ward. 

With only two (wonderful, infinitely patient and kind) nurses to 12 patients on the night shift, little sleep was available for around 5 days.

The other patient in there; one that I made friends with; an ex prison warden that has seen a lot of life’s chaos and heard a lot of noise; was Probably on level pegging with me a little ahead, in our resilience to the constant noise and abuse the nurses had to endure; but we were fortunate if we were able to attain an hour a day of any kind of sleep.

This was with both of us on morphine! 
The abuse was real, I know this sounds unbelievable (maybe not, but I have not been in hospital this much since childhood); the most abusive man was:

108 years old.

One has to bear in mind that in both cases, the abuse, swearing, constant shouting, pulling of alarms, attention buttons, ripping out of catheters and IV lines is ‘part’ of the illness. These were not ‘bad’ men. Simply very, very ill men.

This is where the professionalism of the nurses shines, because even the most loving of relatives will know, it’s an immense challenge to deal with caring for just one relative that is so ill, let alone two strangers for very low pay indeed and another ten patients.

Therefore; I must apologise and thank Robert and all of you for your patience.

There is at leaset one splendid book on World War II on the Arctic and it includes the Arctic. I am Still, only just, clinging on to being a geographer. My career. 

This means, of course, that I am useless at reading maps and rather rubbish at naming capital cities or winning quizzes that ask questions about the length of even the most famous rivers.

I can, however, attempt to do things like try to identify geographically defined areas where e.g. occurrences of a particular virus may be occurring and, using geo demographic/transport routs and other data have a bash at helping inform much more useful people than myself where the virus may be headed next. Or identify areas of extreme poverty and/or crime, homelessness and/or addiction or specific kinds of crime or illness or lack of public transport, such things and again, try to inform people that may be able to alleviate some of the suffering created by any combination of these or more.

Thats roughly what some geographers do these days. Useless at map reading lot that we truly are 😉.

Hmm. One to two point two degrees between friends, regarding  the northernmost Aleutians and the Artctic circle. Moreover the fact that those stuck up there during the war are included in very well written books on World War II in the Arctic and knowing via the books, photos and having spoken to one chap that was up there.

Yes @John D.C. Masters. It’s not tenuous at all. The idea of the group build for me is that of those that have been involved, directly involved, with the extremes of living in, fighting war in, exploring the Arctic and Antarctic.

A postcode difference can mean the difference between survival due to availability of medical provision in some countries, this I am aware of. Therefore a few literal degrees are not taken lightly by yours truly; but yes, the Aleutians are in.

If this means that others feel that another region one or two degrees beyond those shown on the maps right at the start of the thread should be included, on similar grounds, please write 😊!

If I may count you in @John D.C. Masters, then I believe we may be in need of one more person?!!!! 🥶🥶🥶❄️❄️😱😱

Is this true? I’m afraid that I really am still very woozy, simply on porridge and black tea and drugged up (prescription) to the eyeballs *plus* have no reading glasses at the moment.

Thetefore I am typing on the iPhone with a lot of assistive technology turned on (not dictation; I need to train it), but it’s all a blur. Therefore please forgive me for typing mistakes. I will return to correct them as everything in my little Baltic like corner of the world starts to return to normal 😊 ️.

Very glad to be home and see such enthusiasm in the build.

One person? Anyone have a friend that likes snowmen? Seriously? Just one!! 
Please!!!??? 🙏 

With many thanks and best regards

Tony the snowy Tiger.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

If I may count you in

Consider me counted!  I am just making sure.  I might try to get some kind of P-38 in there.  Or perhaps transport?  

I am sure you are happy to be home!

• Thanks 1

I Can’t see it @Torbjorn. Completely my fault if you did; I apologise sincerely.

I have been little more use than chocolate teapot for some time.

I should have maintained a list and kept an eye on the thread. However, other kind souls mentioned above have done so.

I will add you, this making it, 29, as I have noticed that @John D.C. Masters (thank you for the PM John, I will reply soon 😊) is already on the list.

I will put you on the list now. Thank you for joining in, from your interests I can see that your contribution will be fascinating and most welcome 😊 🥶 👍 ❄️ 

With best regards

Anthony

Hello @TonyTiger66.
Sorry to hear about your time in hospital.
I recognise some of what you saw from visiting my father in his last illness.  Especially patients removing tubes that are there to help them, though, fortunatly I never heard the serious abuse.

I think we are at thirty with @Marlin and @Torbjorn - welcome to the build, both of you

1. TonyTiger66 (host)
  2. MarkSH
  3. Pin
  4. Caerbannog
  5. vppelt68
  6. modelling minion
  7. milktrip
  8. zebra
  9. Rabbit Leader
  10. Romeo Alpha Yankee
  12. CliffB
  13. John Laidlaw
  14. Vingtor
  15. Colin W
  16. helios16v
  17. whiskey
  18. zegeye
  19. Grandboof
  20. Arniec
  21. dnl42
  22. nimrod54
  23. Ernie
  24. desert falcon
  25. CorsairFoxFourUncle
  26. bootneck
  27. John D.C. Masters
  28. janneman36
  29. Marlin
  30. Torbjorn

• Thanks 1

Hello @Procopius, welcome to the build

1. TonyTiger66 (host)
  2. MarkSH
  3. Pin
  4. Caerbannog
  5. vppelt68
  6. modelling minion
  7. milktrip
  8. zebra
  9. Rabbit Leader
  10. Romeo Alpha Yankee
  12. CliffB
  13. John Laidlaw
  14. Vingtor
  15. Colin W
  16. helios16v
  17. whiskey
  18. zegeye
  19. Grandboof
  20. Arniec
  21. dnl42
  22. nimrod54
  23. Ernie
  24. desert falcon
  25. CorsairFoxFourUncle
  26. bootneck
  27. John D.C. Masters
  28. janneman36
  29. Marlin
  30. Torbjorn
  31. Procopius
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Marlin said:

Please count me in as well. :D

The Swedish armed force have a presence in the Arctic region, so I'll will come up with something suitable to build.

Or perhaps a Russian Boomer from the Murmansk region will fit the bill.

/Bosse

Yes! Thank you! I had read your post but not placed you on the list; my sincere apologies. I love Swedish themed builds. I spent a little time there in the 1990’s, working. Further south. Remotely, I hope to be working with someone from Gothenburg soon; a city that I like a lot.

Nothing wrong with a Boomer from the Murmansk area either. When the world was a very different place, one of my relatives went to help people out in Murmansk. Our allies, at the time.

I will add you to the list and I believe that makes it 30  🥳 :yahoo:

With best regards

Tony ❄️ T

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I'll lend my name to this.

Thank you Procopious! Wonderful news. Your taking part is very much appreciated 🤝.

Welcome on board. This should be frosty fun. 
I will be fascinated to see what you choose and look forward to it.

With best regards

Tony ❄️ T

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 8:19 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

Incorporating parts of Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Canada, Alaska and Greenland. Am I missing any nation here?

Iceland? :)

Nice idea, but my best candidte is unfortunately already done, it is Dornier Do 26 from a evacuation of a secret German weather station on Greenland

I have to think what else I have in stash to do within this project...

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, JWM said:

Iceland? :)

Yes. 🇮🇸 👍

Shock! Horror!.😱

:poo:

I hear Cups dropping to the floor. Clubs being taken out of cupboards.

I will have to nail planks of wood to my windows and doors. It’s all over now!

:door:

————

Grimsey.

Northernmost inhabited Icelandic territory. Currently divided by the Arctic circle.

It has an airport and ferry service. People. It is part of Iceland. Perhaps I may venture to suggest this is so, in a similar way to that in which Shetland is part of the United Kingdom?

Further north than Grimsey, some 60km, is Iceland’s northernmost unihabited territory, well within the Arctic circle.

If one were to be A modern model only maker and then limit it to just Grimsey, then there would still be the option of a nice Beech aircraft, a DH Twin Otter or a ferry, or a diorama/model of eg the beautiful church there.

However, given the continued and historic geostrategic and increasing tourism and craft, energy importance of Iceland; the incredible maritime and Viking history; the scope for subjects spanning over 1000 years and the fact that yes, Iceland has territories within the  Arctic circle, It just would be a bit pedantic of me to say ‘no’.

Sphere of influence. Vast.

Cultural history; a treasure trove. Parliament? No discussion of politics on BM, but a model of that ancient parliament would be quite something. 

For those with a penchant for horror; there is also much material, the type that makes the Guillotine appear as if it was a modest and helpful shaving accessory.

Iceland is an incredibly important country and has played a vital role in Arctic exploration. It has also experienced great demographic, socio-economic, and ethnic change due to its importance to other nations as an Arctic defence location. Telecommunications. Power infrastructure.

Historic myths and Sagas incorporating teal people that would serve as inspiring figures for figure modellers; of course; an incredible variety of vehicles, ferries, ships, trawlers, aircraft often based there from other nations such as the USA, UK, Norway, Denmark, rescue vessels.

The earliest Icelandic aircraft would be interesting, as would anything from any of what some Icelanders considered WWII invasions.

Yes. 

Long ago I should have clarified this. My apologies.

Tony❄️T

:viking: 

PS: Are you on board @JWM

Thank you for asking about Iceland 👍🇮🇸☃️

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1