The Antarctic and Arctic GB: All welcome; We made it to 32!

TonyTiger66

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

a list of eligible aircraft

Don't think there is one. It's just a matter of research and interesting stories. 

There's all kinds of stuff turns up when looking into it. 

Plenty of Lightning options in 1.72 that could be adapted I guess. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Bit of a stumbling block i hadn't appreciated the kit is 1/48.

Can i ask a daft question 

Where can a list of eligible aircraft be found ?

The stash is a nightmare already, it would be great to use something i already have !

cheers Pat 

Pat, google "Glacier Girl", there are oodles of images of the aircraft, both as found and as rebuilt.
(Could you skip the nose art, and build it as was BEFORE the crash?)

List of eligable aircraft? :fraidnot: There will be many, many options

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2020 at 6:33 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Where can a list of eligible aircraft be found ?

I think that we may be making one as we go along Pat 😀!

A P-38 would be nice. I do have quite a nice old Airfix kit of a P38F. It’s a big improvement on another Airfix issue I have. Happy to get Mrs T to post it to me in my next box of goodies from the antipodes, then send your way. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-03018-0-lockheed-p-38f-lightning--166022

I don’t think anyone makes the modern ‘Glacier Girl’ warbird Transfers in 1/72, but the original pre-crash markings would be a good way to go 👍

TonyT

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

you can't get decals in 1/72.

I think these P38s etc were all factory fresh in the bogstandard red dot star and olive decor. Apart from a number it would be a doddle, I think. But it could be any old RFI subject 

This might be a bit more inspiring.... 😎

https://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/lincoln-polar-star-180960968/

There's so many brilliant projects available for this group 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Is there a kit of this particular aircraft ?

Pat, The Northrop Gamma was done by Williams Bros, and it's a bit hard to find I guess. Comes with the Elsworth expedition decor incl 

IMG_20200225_201043

I just picked up what is basically the Northrop Delta - with floats and skis! - by Special Hobby MPM. 

That's very current and should be widely available 

IMG_20200304_201040

But that's in 1.48 scale, so that might be out for you ?? 

Wow hang on. No it's not. It's 1.72 👍

Me, I like 'em a bit bigger now, especially when it's a smaller size aircraft as the subject. 

Go on go on go on.....‼️😎

Edited by rob Lyttle
Correction
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Good to see this is in the November vote - in the last 20 hours I've spent a 100€ in books about Luftwaffe in the Arctic :coolio:

- Luftwaffe's Northern Flank, Hannu Valtonen

- Luftwaffe pictorial, which is part 2 to above, same author

- Kette Lappland, same author (and released only yesterday!)

- Lapland's aerial recon aviators, Konrad Knabe

Those of course in Finnish, and then in German:

- Wetterflieger in der Arktis. 1940 bis 1944: Erlebnisse und Erfahrungen der Wettererkundungs-Staffeln im hohen Norden, by Schwerdtfeger and Selinger

So keep this GB and those Ju 88 kits coming, I'm getting ready :yahoo:. V-P

• Like 2

20 hours ago, reini said:

Great, more excuses to build Finnish planes! :) Probably something from Lapin Lennosto ... and by 'something' I mean a Draken :D Count me in.

Did you say Lapin Lennosto? This is my son's leave jacket, he's serving his national service as a F/A-18C/D armourer in LAPLSTO.

IMG_20200425_094201

An addition to the books bought this weekend: I already have the original German edition of P.W. Stahl's "Kampfglieger zwischen Eismeer und Sahara; in meinem fall: Ju 88", now I bought the shortened Finnish edition "Pommituslentäjä", translated by who else but Hannu Valtonen.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi all, 

I thought it would be awesome to have an Arctic/Antarctic Group Build and I was about to look into how one starts one up when I discovered this. Then I tried to understand whether this GB is still in with a shot of happening next year. Can't quite work that out.

But I would totally be in for it so please add me to the list.

I'm lucky enough to have visited both above the Arctic Circle (in Sweden) and gone to Antarctica (although not technically inside the Antarctic Circle, even though I was on the continent of Antarctica). Right at the moment I am building the classic Monogram Ford Tri-Motor kit someone mentioned above, with the sled hitch and parka-wearing figures. Building it with my five year old daughter.

Also I'm a bit of the way through a 1/144 Sweet JMSDF Sea King from their Antarctic expeditions. 

There are so many Antarctic related kits, like the 1/144 R5-D3 used in Operation Deep Freeze, or the 1/144 R4-D5 used in Operation High Jump, the Airfix Auster that a few people have posted, and the list goes on. Hasegawa's 1/350 Soya Icebreaker is on my wish list, too.

Anyway, if this happens I will be in with a few of these ones.

Edited by bianfuxia
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

The trouble with that, Beazer, is you're getting into standard Pacific War topics and the whole point of the project is gone by then. 

Had to ask as I figured I could avoid spending money on another model.  I have toooooo many.  😂

@Beazer

I ought to say, I'm not in authority here!!

I was just saying what came to mind. 

If you have a substantial stash, there MUST be an option or two available. 

There's been so much activity over the decades, military and civil, research and adventures. 

I think it's going to be down to reading and searching through archives. 🔎👍

7 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

@Beazer

I ought to say, I'm not in authority here!!

I was just saying what came to mind. 

If you have a substantial stash, there MUST be an option or two available. 

There's been so much activity over the decades, military and civil, research and adventures. 

I think it's going to be down to reading and searching through archives. 🔎👍

I’m sure I have something Russian with skis.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm not very familiar with the way group builds work, but this 'un has gone very quiet, and I can't see any sign of it in the list of upcoming GBs. 

Although there's PLENTY OF SCOPE for German tanks.... 😕‼️

Do I take it that this brilliant idea of a theme has been dropped from the schedules?? 

Nope.  Not dropped.  It's just in a holding pattern until the November bunfight where it will duke it out for one of the the 7(ish) spots available for next years calendar.

• Like 1