AZ Model 1/72 Chipmunk

dude_gan_ainm

Cheers Col.

I'll give the tail a bash,nothing to lose anyway.So the tail was cut off at the start of the fin & a replacement was started by a sandwich of 3mm plasticard roughly cut out to shape.

spacer.png

The kit tailplane hole was closed with some plastic strips & sanded flat as the cut wasn't straight.Using the rudder for reference the new fin was sanded to shape.

spacer.png

Two 2mm holes were drilled in the kit end & two int the new section to line up.2mm plastic rod inserted into the tail (not glued yet but a tight fit).

spacer.png

Lined up with a bit of wiggle room added at the kit end holes.

spacer.png

New tail in position. Maybe needs to be a little higher but otherwise fine.Next to add 1mm plasticard to bulk out the tailenders fuselage & then more sanding to shape.

spacer.png

So far so good,just a bummer but such is life.

Till next time,

Jimbob.. .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys for the kind comments.When things went south it was beyond the 25% point where you take aim for the bin with the whistling hand.Sorry to say it's another group build I wont get finished by the deadline.I'll keep going till its finished & keep ye updated.I didn't get much modelling done lately but shaped the rear fuselage,so next the area below the rudder & where the tailplane joins the fuselage.Then back on track more or less.

spacer.png

Theres some beautiful models in the gallery,well done to everyone. 

Jimbob.  . ..

• Like 2

Got another bit done.Shaped the tail a bit more,picked out the area below the rudder.Then measured to drill a hole for the tailplanes.All still loosely positioned but all ok.As you see below the canopy came loose again as I trimmed down the canopy frame where it meets the fuselage.This isn't so bad as bits of plastic dust got in there & was impossible to remove.So I get another chance to glue it back on,this time without melting anything.

spacer.png

So next is make some fiddly bits around the tail,mark the position for the tail wheel,glue on the canopy again.Then glue on the replacement tail & back on track.

Adios, 

Jimbob.. .

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Frankenstein tail finished & joined to the kit.

spacer.png

Fuselage & tail blended in with wings,tailplanes loose for posing purposes.

spacer.png

This is where it is at the moment,lots of small extras to make for the wings etc. before I join the wings & tailplanes.Slow stuff & not getting much model time so far.

Cheers, 

Jimbob.. .. .

• Like 1