AZ Model 1/72 Chipmunk

dude_gan_ainm

Hi guys,

I cracked this kit open last weekend & hope it's small enough & easy enough to finish by the end of the groupbuild.I know theres a mistake with the canopy molding but it'll be fine.I had a break from modelling for about a year & I'm enjoying this kit so far,even if it's only cleaning up steam marks & marking out details to be added or cut off. 

Spruce shot.Not much to it but it is nice & hopefully will end up a good looking model.

20190217-013009.jpg

Drilled a few small holes & drilled out the two engine cowling intakes

20190221-022752.jpg

More later when I tackle a few more little details.

Adios,

Jimbob...

• Like 9

I totally agree,tis a very good looking kit which can be improved upon by a little scratching n tweaking.Had some model time after the pub last night so did a little bit. 

20190224-161518.jpg

After looking at pics of my chosen victim,the elevator horns look more extended on the kit version so I marked out a more realistic shape.The plastic is very soft & a few cuts with a scalpel & blending with a file & sandpaper later all was well.

20190224-162107.jpg

I thinned down the trailing edge of the cowling width by highlighting the area with a black Sharpie & filing it down,finishing with the scalpel blade scrape.In the photo looking forward - left side done,right side untouched.

20190224-161606.jpg

Also drilled a few more small holes,the ejector pins marked inside the lower wing needed sanding down.

I'll do this as an Irish Air Corps Chipmunk in the delivery colour scheme.

More later guys,

Jimbob.. .

• Like 8

Unfortunately not Pat,I model on the kitchen table so I went searching for tools that were put away & no joy in finding what I need so far.Tis snowing here now so will probably be at home most of today & get some Chippie time.

• Like 1

Snow ! Blooming Nora we were complaining about the wind and rain over here.

Sorry to hear about the tools going AWOL, mine get "put in a safe place " as well when I don't clear the dining room table !

cheers Pat

Yup,I've been thinking my tools are in that elusive safe place as well.I got out for an hours walk up the mountain earlier,the snow wasn't as heavy as up the country.Its coasting in on the North East of England & Scotland at the moment.

20190303-203541.jpg

Hittin the bench soon Pat.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the nudge Pat,very little progress done so far.I managed to find most of my tools,the rest must be in a very safe place!I managed to remove the incorrectly moulded frames on the canopy but on close inspection I need to do a little more to remove it 100%.No photos but not much to look at either.Off in West Cork for the weekend now so I'll get stuck tomorrow night again.

Adios,

Jimbob.. .

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a little progress on the Chipmunk.I used some Mr. Surfacer to make slightly raised walkways,right side with masking removed.

20190322-233831.jpg

To get motivated I started painting the cockpit area,black is the colour so not much will be seen I guess & not much point in detailing it too much which is a bonus.I usually dont paint the parts while still connected to the spruce but what the heck let's give it a bash.I also carved out a NACA intake under the wing centreline which will be difficult to see unless you turn over the model when its finished. 

20190325-205937.jpg

The Irish Chipmunks had the early narrow chord rodders so I marked out roughly what had to go.Then cut off with a scalpel & sanded to shape.

20190325-210020.jpg

Before.

20190325-210049.jpg

After.

20190325-210117.jpg

I glued the engine front into the cowling,assembled most of the cockpit (replaced the joysticks with plastic spruce & added two compasses).I used brass tubes to help strengthen the tailplane joints but messed up one by breaking a drill bit into one tailplane.

20190325-220127.jpg

I also Kleared the canopy.More later in the week hopefully. 

Adios,

Jimbob....

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress on the Chippie but got a bit done.From the top the elevator/tailplane was cut near the tip & scribed along the join to bend down the elevators.Rudder detail added,spinner,prop & main wheels cleaned up.A small air intake for the top of the cowling made from evergreen strip.

20190408-225706.jpg

Canopy was dipped in Klear & the base marked with a black Sharpie,Tamiya tape painted black was fitted inside to represent the front & rear internal brace.The pit details are finished off again with Tamiya tape painted dark blue for the seat belts.

20190407-173925.jpg

The rear internal canopy framework was made from 1mm plasticard,painted black .

20190407-174013.jpg

It had to be trimmed down a bit & the fuselage behind the cockpit sanded a little to fit.White glue used to secure,it looks wonky here peering back & up into the glazing.Hopefully all will look ok once finished.

20190408-232036.jpg

Adios,

Jimbob...

• Like 5

Fuselage closed & filler allied to the seams.No location marks but I never get a good finish with them anyway.A little ascribing done & some detail added with more to do.20190414-134456.jpg

I'm starting to enjoy this build now as you see details from photos & try out ways to achieve them on the model.

Till next time,

Jimbob....

• Like 5

Another little bit done.The rear instrument panel & coaming were glued in position but the fit was keeping the canopy a mm or so high.So I scraped a little from inside the canopy at that position & also sanded a little from a section of the coaming.It now fits but will need a strong bond to keep it down.

20190414-200724.jpg

I used black Miliput for the coaming edge & used up more on a few bits around the tail & a cup shaped intake on the nose.Also some plastic rod shaped & a little strip glued to the rudder for a tab.

20190415-214528.jpg

After a light coat of Mr. Surfacer to blend them in.It looks a bit messy in places but it will clean up ok.

20190415-223131.jpg

Adios, 

Jimbob.. . .

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update on the Chipmunk,been doing small details after looking closely at photos of the aircraft after delivery.I started on detailing the wheels - I added break detail using some punched & cut plasticard,then masked off the tyre & brushed in some Mr. Surfacer. 

spacer.png

Photos showed they had ribbed tyres on delivery so after some thought I tried to add this.If it didn't work - no problem.First the centres were masked off,then three thin strips of Tamiya tape weee cut & placed around the circumference of the tyre followed by more strips across the tyre (bottom wheel).

spacer.png

Mr. Surfacer brushed onto the tyre & let harden over night.

spacer.png

Strips & masks removed & Mr. Surfacer lightly sanded with a soft sponge backed bit of sandpaper.One done,not as many knobbly bits as the photos but as good as I could do.I'm sure a 3D printer would knock a perfect pair out no problem but like a lot of modellers - not an option here.Happy with the result so one more to do.

spacer.png

The landing light on the port undercarriage had a hood so I cut some aluminium from a can of Murphys & bent around a 1mm drill bit stem,then filed to shape.First attempt I used metal from the area around the ring pull which ended up too thick.So second one made from the thinner side of the can.Carpet monster tried & failed with this one.Photo shows it bent & starting to remove from the scrap of metal.

spacer.png

Here's the tiddler & the kit impression of the light on top of the undercarriage leg.

spacer.png

I added a bit of plastic rod to lengthen the light & a punched clear plastic lens.Painted the hood with Vallejo  Metal Cote acrylic satin aluminium.

spacer.png

Superglued the hood in position & added some Mr. Surfacer to begin blending the light fairing. 

spacer.png

A few other details done but no photos so till next time,

Jimbob...

• Like 8

Cheers for the comments guys.

I glued on the canopy but it ended up too forward & I thought I could blend it in,so I left it.

spacer.png

I got this far & wasn't happy so it had to come off & redo it.One step back.

spacer.png

This is where I'm at with the wings.I'll finish the canopy section before the wings join the fuselage. 

spacer.png

Slow progress but I should get some time during the week.

Adios,

Jimbob...  .

• Like 2

Another few steps back with the Chipmunk this week.The canopy still didn't sit in position, the centre console kept pushing it up.Thats why I used Araldite for a strong bond & no fogging of the canopy.The epoxy wouldn't harden,maybe it needed more heat - room temperature was between 14° - 18° & I gave it a bit more heat to harden.This worked at hardening the epoxy & the canopy stays put ..... but I took my eye off the ball for a few seconds & things went a bit south.Don't ask.You live n learn by these mistakes. 

Ooopsy 

spacer.png

And with the tail feathers loosely fit.

spacer.png

Since this was to be in the delivery scheme I don't think this will cut mustard. So this can go either way - bin it or make a new tail section but maybe not make the deadline.

Till next time,

Jimbob...

• Sad 5