Trumpeter's 1/48 Attacker F.1 finished!

Faust

Sometimes you get it… sometimes you don’t. We’ve all had off days, but it’s one thing to mess up on a model, and another to mess up creating the actual subject in real life! Well, despite their success with the Schneider Trophy races and the immortality of the Spitfire, it seems that, after WWII, the good folks at Supermarine just kind of threw in the towel. They went from creating some of the world’s fastest aircraft to creating one of the slower, more lacklustre and undeniably more porcine jets.

Early jets, of course, weren’t all successes, but the straight-winged, tail dragging, chubby-boddied Attacker is one of the most prevalent losers of the immediate post-war jet cohort. Of course, because it’s such a substandard loser, I love it! It’s not just loser cars that get me going, total failures of aeronautics also make me smile! That’s why I was glad to get my hands on the Trumpeter Attacker! At the time, there was no good 1/72, so I was even willing to go up a scale and out of my normal comfort zone to build one!

Check out the 1/48 Trumpeter Attacker at the link below, and let me know what you think!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/trumpeter-1-48-supermarine-attacker-f-1/

Attacker-Done-7.jpg?w=768

Attacker-Done-18.jpg

Attacker-Done-1.jpg?w=636&h=358&zoom=2

Edited by Faust
  • Like 33

I agree with both of you guys about the panel lines. 

I was, and am, still learning about how to control the "impact" of pastels for doing post-shading. I fully accept that this effort, while technically well-done, is also overdone. I have found that over greys, a grey pastel must be much lighter than it has to be over other colours. 

Live and learn.

In fact, I tend NOT to use pastels or post-shading very often any more. I just prefer my jets clean, and do the lines with pencil. Oddly, WWII planes I still do some washes and pastelling on, but not jets. 

Thanks for the compliments, though, I do appreciate the feedback!

• Like 1

I have three Attackers (Classic, Trumpy and a vac) in the House plus $50 of aftermarket and just can’t seem to work up the interest to build the Trumpeter kit. This post gave me some strong inspiration. I really like the weathering and see the aircraft in a new light. Very well done! 

Thanks a lot for the compliments, guys!

As for a Wyvern and a Seahawk, I have them both. I had a bit of an RN period. I also have the (sadly inaccurate) Sea Venom from Dragon, and the Sea Vixen FAW.21. Now what I really want is a good 1/72 Scimitar. C'mon Airfix... what are you waiting for?

As for it being a second rate plane, it is at that. However, just remember, it's a whole lot better than the F6U Pirate that the USN put into production. That was never fit for service, and barely flew. At least Attackers were in frontline service and were exported! 

Agree with all of your points. Early jets were rushed into service to meet the global Cold War threats, and while they had woefully short range and were underpowered, they were the best we had at the time. I do recall reading a first have account about the Pakistani Air Force’s experience with the Attacker, and the complaints were many.  Thanks again and I am reviewing my kits now.