Best PRU Blue Paint?

757flyer

What I wonder is if the Tamiya AS-19 Intermediate Blue is an ok shade/paint for PRU blue. It would make it easy to paint an Airfix PR Spitfire in that case...

/André

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Andre B said:

Wonder if some can guess what is what...

Hu144, the dark stripe to the left, then small piece of AS19 next to right plus all over the place,  ;) , then Hu 230 bigger strip to the right, that is how it is looking to me anyhow.

Steve.

• Like 1

The dark stripe to the left is Hu 230. The next to the right is AS-19.  Both with Humbrol Satin Clear. Next is AS-19 without Satin Clear (almost all over). The little spot under AS-19 with Satin Clear is Hu 144 also with Satin Clear...

The strange thing is that all paints got lighter with Satin Clear.

I have an old wing from an Spitfire that I painted some minutes ago. When it's dry I will take an new and better photo of Hu 230 and SA-19...

/André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tweener said:

I rather like Vallejo faded PRU blue myself

As I don't have the Vallejo PRU Blue to campare with an havn't seen ut compared to Hu 230 and/or AS-19 its difficult to say how good it is...

Cheers / André

A new and better paint comparison (in English) between Hu 230 and AS-19 at IPMS Stockholm...

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10707&p=86459#p86459

It would be interesting  to compare Tamiya AS-12 to an RAFM chip...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

13 hours ago, spaddad said:

When I joined the IPMS in 1967 Humbrol LNER Garter Blue was the accepted colour for PRU blue, not really helpful but just thought it might be interesting, different times.

It was also recommended as a match for RAF Blue!  In my opinion nearer to it than to PRU Blue

If you are in the U.S. Colorcoats is available as well as Xtracolor. As far as color accuracy I am building a F6F in the 4 tones scheme and the Sovereign Colorcoats  colors for the USN 4 tone scheme look like they were cut off the color chips in the ANA chips reproduced by Monogram in their vol. 3 of USN WW2 colors & markings. authored by John Elliott. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, pat d said:

If you are in the U.S. Colorcoats is available as well as Xtracolor. As far as color accuracy I am building a F6F in the 4 tones scheme and the Sovereign Colorcoats  colors for the USN 4 tone scheme look like they were cut off the color chips in the ANA chips reproduced by Monogram in their vol. 3 of USN WW2 colors & markings. authored by John Elliott. 

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the mention and funny you should say that, as our copy of that publication is exactly where they came from 😀

resized_243ee48e-cd7b-45c5-8c54-a696aaf4

I hope to see your model when you're ready? I did the same thing with the Eduard kit and used Montex paint masks to have an excuse to use the Insignia Blue also; the Eduard weekend edition decals have a weird lighter, brighter blue that looks very odd next to a good USN Sea Blue

resized_20435abf-e7e4-40bf-9633-998c738f

The Corsaid I built after that received much more abuse / artistic license with the base colours! (I feel like a hypocrit doing this 😂😂)

resized_0d1896f1-6bb8-4bce-99cb-06d451ad

• Like 11

9 hours ago, pat d said:

But I am afraid that it doesn't tell us how accurate the Tamiya AS-19 Intermediate Blue is compared to RAF PRU Blue (or US Intermediate Blue). It would be nice to see the Tamiya AS-paints compared to RAF chips and ANA-chips.

I have the Tamiya paints easy available in the closest hobbyshop here in Sweden. Ordering paints overseas that I newer seen is not the easyest thing with all safety restrictions these days plus special tax etc. It often ends up very expensive if its ends up at all...

If I make an colour chip of the Tamiya AS-19 Intermediate Blue is there someone who can compare it to RAF chips concerning RAF PRU blue?

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

2 hours ago, Andre B said:

But I am afraid that it doesn't tell us how accurate the Tamiya AS-19 Intermediate Blue is compared to RAF PRU Blue (or US Intermediate Blue). It would be nice to see the Tamiya AS-paints compared to RAF chips and ANA-chips.

I have the Tamiya paints easy available in the closest hobbyshop here in Sweden. Ordering paints overseas that I newer seen is not the easyest thing with all safety restrictions these days plus special tax etc. It often ends up very expensive if its ends up at all...

If I make an colour chip of the Tamiya AS-19 Intermediate Blue is there someone who can compare it to RAF chips concerning RAF PRU blue?

Cheers / André

If you send me a 3cm x 3cm chip in the post I will digitally measure it and give you back a side-by-side comparison of same from RAF museum chip of PRU blue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

If you send me a 3cm x 3cm chip in the post I will digitally measure it and give you back a side-by-side comparison of same from RAF museum chip of PRU blue.

Thanks Jamie,

It will take a few days as I live in Sweden. But I will prepare a chip of Tamiya AS-19 Intermediate Blue to send to you. 

Best Regards

André

• Like 1

There was a PR.34 Mosquito done on these pages by a brother by the name of “Peter W” in a slightly grayish green shade of PRU blue. He took his photos down but the paint is still listed in the thread. Not sure if it was 100% accurate but it was stunning in its color and slight weathering. Look up “mosquito” “peter w”.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2019 at 4:56 PM, Andre B said:

Yesterday I brushed an S-31 Spitfire with Tamiya AS-19. Picture at IPMS Stockholm.

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10707&p=86459#p86459

I have also sent some paintchips to Jamie...

Cheers / André

Hi André,

Your chips arrived here today :)

Here are the results:

905a9bf0-99ed-4eb2-b640-7ae6b730ea5b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

CIELAB is the industry standard colourspace model. L is a measure of brightness; 0 being absolute theoretical black and 100 being total theoretical reflectivity. The a and b axis compare colour properties. a=0 and b=0 gives a perfectly neutral grey with no hue at all. The a axis goes from green as a negative number, through colourless, to red as a positive value. The b axis goes from blue as a negative number, through colourless, to yellow as a positive number. So, for example a blue can be blue, a greenish blue or a reddish blue, but it cannot be a yellowish blue because that is just less blue and closer to grey. The RGB model feels easy to understand but it's fairly rubbish as it's impossible to adjust one attribute of a colour without changing both other numbers simultaneously but to show a render of the colour I had to use it anyway because it's what computers use to light up pixels. Light Reflectance Value is similar to the L value in CIELAB, but it considers brilliance (or lack of) colour too and gives a total percentage value of light reflected. It's what interior designers use when considering paint tones in a house given the windows available etc etc. Whilst in theory it ranges from 0% to 100%, in practise what we'd call a pure black paint will return around 3% LRV whilst the purest white paint you can buy will give you around 80% LRV. CIE 76 Delta E is an industry standard measure of colour similarity. You can get guidance on how to interpret Delta E results here: http://zschuessler.github.io/DeltaE/learn/ but <1 requires instrumentation to differentiate, between 1 and 2 is perceptible upon close inspection, 2-10 is perceptible at a glance and beyond that you're talking about different colours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi André,

Your chips arrived here today :)

Here are the results:

905a9bf0-99ed-4eb2-b640-7ae6b730ea5b.png

Hi Jamie,

Well that's make one wonder what paints Tamiya compared with when making the AS and TS paints.

How goes TS-32 compared to US Neutral Grey?

Thanks for your effort, Jamie!

Cheers / André

Jumping into this tinlet of worms, whilst a paint chip, and its colour saturation can be measured very accurately, as distance increases the colour perception of the human eye changes, so that things near have a redder hue and things far away more blue. As we are painting onto surfaces that are scale representations of full size then could an argument be put forward that the 'scale' distance to the object should (excuse the pun) reflect this. Therefore, the paint used could vary from the actual paint chip to the blue end of the spectrum to force the observer to perceive the object as being the correct scale distance away?

I understand the strive to get the most accurate model dimensions/panel line width/paint colour, and can measure a model and appreciate restrained panel engraving but as a sufferer of slight blue -green colour blindness, I have to use faith in a paint provider to supply a paint that looks close to me.

So it is possible probable that I have a bunch of completed models that have the 'wrong' colours on them, but as all of them have varying degrees of inherent (by the manufacturer) and construction (by me) errors, I hope they are at least consistent.

Always good to see the depth of knowledge displayed on such niche subjects - keep it up chaps 👨‍🎓 and chapesses 👩‍🎓

Box On 

Strickers

Edited by HAMP man
lack of knowledge
  • Like 2

Thanks for doing that for Andre Jamie, its always interesting to see such objective colour comparisons & to me it shows just how grey USN Intermediate Blue ANA608 really is & not so blue as many models & warbirds represent it. Having said that, it appears on your chart that Tamiya TS-32 would be acceptable as a match for ANA 608, to my eye anyway. I'll stick to my tin of yours in the meantime though. :) 

Steve.

• Like 1

Mmm...

What I got out of this is that TS-32 Haze Grey maybe can be usefull as an USN Intermediate Blue. A bit lighter and weared. I agree with Steve on this. :)

When it comes to AS-8 and AS-19 I maybe use them for an P-47M Thunderbolt build instead. The  much discussed 63rd Fighter Squadron, 56 Fighter Group... ;)

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/p47m-thunderbolt-usaaf-44-21160-devastatin-deb-capt-john-c-fahringer-63rd-fighting-squadron-march-1945-ha8406-hobbymaster-4895173402203-1-48-hobby-master/product/?action=prodinfo&amp;art=117734

What I wanted to find out was if there where any Tamiya AS and TS paints that could be used as they are easy to use and gives an nice finish on an 1/72 scale aircraft as an Spitfire, Mustang, Corsair or Hellcat.

Thanks to Jamie we now knew a lot more when it comes to AS-8 and AS-19. Espacially when compared to RAF PRU Blue and  US Intermediate Blue.

Jamie, can you compare TS-32 with US Neutral Grey?

Maybe I  some day send you some more "Tamiya AS and TS paint chips" if wanted?

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Andre B said:

Mmm...

What I got out of this is that TS-32 Haze Grey maybe can be usefull as an USN Intermediate Blue. A bit lighter and weared. I agree with Steve on this. :)

When it comes to AS-8 and AS-19 I maybe use them for an P-47M Thunderbolt build instead. The  much discussed 63rd Fighter Squadron, 56 Fighter Group... ;)

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/p47m-thunderbolt-usaaf-44-21160-devastatin-deb-capt-john-c-fahringer-63rd-fighting-squadron-march-1945-ha8406-hobbymaster-4895173402203-1-48-hobby-master/product/?action=prodinfo&amp;art=117734

What I wanted to find out was if there where any Tamiya AS and TS paints that could be used as they are easy to use and gives an nice finish on an 1/72 scale aircraft as an Spitfire, Mustang, Corsair or Hellcat.

Thanks to Jamie we now knew a lot more when it comes to AS-8 and AS-19. Espacially when compared to RAF PRU Blue and  US Intermediate Blue.

Jamie, can you compare TS-32 with US Neutral Grey?

Maybe I  some day send you some more "Tamiya AS and TS paint chips" if wanted?

Cheers / André

Hi,

I'll need my proper PC to update the above but ANA603 / Neutral Gray 43 is usually quoted as FS36118.

Colour coordinates for 36118 are:

L41.31 a-1.17 b-4.98

R92 G98 B106

LRV = ~12%

Delta E compared to TS-32 = 12.01

Neutral grey is noticeably darker, much less green and slightly less blue than TS-32.

• Thanks 1

Well...

If one can't use Tamiya AS paints for neiter RAF nor US Navy aircrafts... ...why not use them for USAAC and the 8 AF, 56 FG and 63rd FS P-47 M Thunderbolts?

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&amp;t=10767&amp;p=86741#p86741

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to Jamie I have to update some info concerning Tamiya AS and TS paints. If someone has made comparisons feel free to comment...

Cheers / André