Best PRU Blue Paint?

757flyer

I know this subject comes up every so often, but it has been a few years, so I thought I would check to see if anything new has become available.  What is the best PRU Blue paint available?  Is the Vallejo one a decent match?  

Many thanks!

Hmm, you might want to specify if you want enamel or acrylic, and what you can get, I note you are in the US.

For enamel,  Sovereign Hobbies,  (available in the US) or Xtracolor.  Acrylic, Xtracylix. 

There may well be a good Vallejo match, but I suspect it will be called something else....  Vallejo make good paint for acrylic, but there idea of colours can be a bit funny, and, for example I have found some excellent visual matches to the RAF Museum paint chip colour chart,  they are not described that by Vallejo....  found by brushing out and comparing to the chips that is!

Humbrol PRU Blue is 230,  I was hoping I might get a conversion to Vallejo off the Creative Models site but it's not listed.

There is most likely a Tamiya mix in the instruction for their Mosquito IV kit

no close FS 595 match it seems

https://www.e-paint.co.uk/Colour_alternatives.asp?cRange=BS Other&cRef=BS 636&metallic2=False&cDescription=PRU blue

Not the best answer,  I do suggest specifying which paint brand you can get.   A couple of our US members who have RAF tendencies like @72modeler  or @Cookenbacher  maybe able to advise on paints you can get.

HTH

Personally, I'm sticking with Xtracrylix.  Looks good to me, although I do miss the old Aeromaster stuff.  IIRC, I used my last bottle on a Tamiya PR.IV I picked up at the Mosquito Museum - it was one of the first bomber nose kits in 72 Tamiya released to the UK.

Troy,

Thanks for the lengthy reply.  I actually am not necessarily sold on enamel or acrylic, yet.  If I airbrush, I use acrylics, if I decide to brush paint, I have had better luck with enamels.  I am working on a 1/72 MPM Spitfire PR Mk.XI, so it isn't the biggest model and I haven't made up my mind how I will paint it.  I believe I can still get the Xtracrylix paints from Hannants (I think they can still ship non-enamel paints by mail?), and of course Vallejo is pretty accessible.  

Bill - the Faded PRU Blue from Vallejo (71109) was the one I had found online.  Hadn't been able to find anything in the usual places from anyone who had used it.  Was hoping someone on Britmodeller might have.

I saw that Hataka has a paint set for RAF Photo Reconnaissance Aircraft that includes the blue, as well as the pink.  Does anyone have any experience with Hataka paints?

Thanks again

In the US You can get MRP (Mr Paint) from Hobbyworld USA http://www.hobbyworld-usa.com/Store/index.php?id_category=1248&controller=category&n=60&p=2 and PRU Blue is in stock. MRP is acrylic lacquer with a solvent base, very much like GSI Mr Color. It is airbrush ready but doesn’t brush well. No experience with Hataka paints other than noting that others have commented on its strong smell

757flyer,

I'll see if I can live up to Troy's recommendation. As for me, I have a batch of PRU blue I mixed with the old Floquil  railroad colors to the color charts I trusted- just try finding any of that paint! I also have PRU blue enamel from Modelmaster and acrylic from Pollyscale, and I like them both, but they are OOP. Here are some possibilities I looked up:

Modelmaster enamel, 2016, PRU Blue

Floquil  acrylic 505268, PRU Blue (Pollyscale)

Humbrol enamel HU144, intermediate blue (See comment below)

Xtracolor enamel X008, PRU Blue

Modelmaster enamel 35044, intermediate blue, FS35164

Mr. Paint acrylic MRP-120 PRU Blue

AK interactive acrylic lacquer297 PRU Blue

Gunze Sangyo acrylic C-72 intermediate blue

On several paint color charts that I have, FS35164 (USN WW2 (intermediate blue) is listed as a close match for PRU Blue- it does look very close to the chips I have for PRU Blue.

You can find Modelmaster, Floquil, and Pollyscale on that well-known e auction site, and several hobby retail sites still have stocks of these three brands, as do many local hobby shops- I'm always picking up these brands when I see a hobby shop in my travels. Xtracolor is excellent paint, sprays and brushes well, and Jaime at Soverign Hobbies has worked very closely with color authorities to produce accurate paints that either match or are very close to accepted color chips.

This might give you a starting point; I hope what I have listed is accurate- I'm sure our resident  experts can confirm or correct me. Good luck on your projects! I can give you some links to some good hobby retailers here in the colonies that handle most of the brands I have listed above. For Gunze, Colourcoats, or Xtracolors, you will need to purchase from one of their U.S. distributors, as their paints cannot be shipped by air.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

On several paint color charts that I have, FS35164 (USN WW2 (intermediate blue) is listed as a close match for PRU Blue- it does look very close to the chips I have for PRU Blue.

Fwiw, Hu 144 Intermediate Blue is, to my eye, too grey for PRU Blue, but its predecessor USN Blue Grey or should that be Blue Gray, ;) , is a decent alternative for PRU or the other way around Hu 230 PRU Blue is a decent option for one of the early war USN schemes Blue gray, ie, the Airfix Wildcat in the Guadalcanal scheme. Not exact but I think better thn Airfix's colour call in their kit. IMHO of course. :) 

Steve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Some Vallejo  &0-904 as mentioned by @Giorgio N above used as a USN Blue gray on a Wildcat as I mentioned above. looks good to me & would also be a good PRU Blue.

Steve.

Nice to see somebody who thinks it looks good rather than being EXACTLY right Steve.  My philosophy exactly, if looks good to me, then its exactly right for me...…….

• Like 4

13 hours ago, 757flyer said:

I saw that Hataka has a paint set for RAF Photo Reconnaissance Aircraft that includes the blue, as well as the pink.  Does anyone have any experience with Hataka paints?

I have used Hataka on a number of builds recently and have had no issues with them. 

17 hours ago, 757flyer said:

<snipped>

Thanks for the lengthy reply. 

Thanks again

Hi 757flyer,

I received that Hakata set and was surprised at how dark the blue is compared to most other brands. 

It sprays quite nicely but is a bit translucent and glossy, so undercoats and pre shades need to be right prior to finishing. 

G

I used Vallejo on the spinner and canopy rail of a silver Spitfire XIX and was pleasantly surprised with how it came out. I'm not near my paints right now, but I think it was Model Air 71.109 UK PRU Blue, a case of the Vallejo paint actually matching its label. The Vallejo range will most times have the color you're looking for, but very often the name of the color won't match, which can make for a few headaches. For instance Vallejo Model Color 893 is a very good match for RAF Dark green, but is labeled "FS 34079 US Dark Green" which it doesn't match - see @Greenshirt's blog here. Although, I think their new "Air War" series does a much better job matching paints and names.

When I build a blue Spitfire XI, I'll probably use Colourcoats. They're the best combination of accuracy and ease of use of any hobby paint I've found. They're enamels, so you'll want a good mask and ventilation, but they make you feel like a professional airbrusher! In the states, the retailer for Colourcoats is H&B Hobbies.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Tamiya XF-18 Medium Blue with some XF-2 White.

Mix to your personal taste.

Have used this mix on three PR Spitfires so far.

I've given up on trying to find exact matches for paint colours. Bought a few different paint brands recently (acrylics - Hataka, Mr Paint, Mr Hobby, AK Interactive, Ammo of MIG) to find the best Intermediate Blue and Sea Blue for my Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair. Of course no two brands were anywhere near being the same shade (of course each brand will state that they have done extensive research and have the right colour). Went back to my trusty Tamiya paints and made mixes of those two colours that 'looked good together' on the finished model (of course washes and weathering will change their tone). I find this is now my philosophy on paints. If the colours 'look good together' and they're within the range of the desired colour then I'm happy.

Good luck

Red Dog

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rayprit said:

Nice to see somebody who thinks it looks good rather than being EXACTLY right Steve.

One thing I've learnt from this forum is that anyone wanting an exact paint match is likely deluding themselves, there are simply too many variables stirred in the mix over the years, so a paint match which looks about right is all I'm striving for. It doesn't hurt to have some back ground info as to the provenance of the colour you're striving to match but that will only help up to a point, beyond that its what looks right to you. 

Steve.

• Like 3

Many thanks to everyone for all of the replies and the input!  I really do appreciate it.

I am by no means a stickler for "exactitude" but would like to get fairly close to the general correct shade.  Was able to find the Vallejo Faded PRU Blue at the local Hobbytown, so I will give it a try and see what the results are.  

Mike

On 2/20/2019 at 7:02 PM, billn53 said:

Vallejo Model Air 71.109 is named "FADED P.R.U. BLUE", but I have no idea how good a match it may (or may not) be. 

Personally I think 71.109 looks pretty nice. I also use it for blue on US Navy Wildcats, Hellcats, etc, even though I understand it is a little bit too bright.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Red Dog said:

Tamiya XF-18 Medium Blue with some XF-2 White.

Mix to your personal taste.

Have used this mix on three PR Spitfires so far.

I've given up on trying to find exact matches for paint colours. Bought a few different paint brands recently (acrylics - Hataka, Mr Paint, Mr Hobby, AK Interactive, Ammo of MIG) to find the best Intermediate Blue and Sea Blue for my Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair. Of course no two brands were anywhere near being the same shade (of course each brand will state that they have done extensive research and have the right colour). Went back to my trusty Tamiya paints and made mixes of those two colours that 'looked good together' on the finished model (of course washes and weathering will change their tone). I find this is now my philosophy on paints. If the colours 'look good together' and they're within the range of the desired colour then I'm happy.

Good luck

Red Dog

You can tell which brands have actually done any research. They state their sources...

• Like 6

Not sure what's available stateside but I used Humbrol enamel 230 for this Spitfire XIX: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234995594-what-brought-me-back-spitfire-xix/

I've since acquired (but not properly used) some Xtracylix (acrylic) and Xtracolor (enamel) PRU Blue, and both seem a bit bluer than the Humbrol. I don't know which is "right",  but since all shades of PRU Blue look pretty gorgeous to me, I'm not sure I mind too much!

Justin

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2019 at 5:38 AM, stevehnz said:

Fwiw, Hu 144 Intermediate Blue is, to my eye, too grey for PRU Blue, but its predecessor USN Blue Grey or should that be Blue Gray, ;) , is a decent alternative for PRU or the other way around Hu 230 PRU Blue is a decent option for one of the early war USN schemes Blue gray, ie, the Airfix Wildcat in the Guadalcanal scheme. Not exact but I think better thn Airfix's colour call in their kit. IMHO of course. :) 

Steve.

I compared Tamiya AS-19 Intermediate Blue with Humbrol Hu 230. Hu 230 is clearly more grey than AS-230. But they look clearly the same looking on their caps. What turns best and is closest to te real PRU blue is harder till say. It seems that few builders has experiences of Tamiya AS and TS paints and made comparison with other paints...

Cheers / André

• Like 1