Sea Harrier FRS1.....

mackem01

Due to other commitments I didn't get to start at the weekend but made a start yesterday. You may be questioning my choice of a SHAR1, but it will be finished in the markings of

899 Naval Air Squadron, who were the "trainers" for the type. Also thanks to andyf117, I also have the colourful anniversary markings so thought I'd best make a start.

This is the kit, which I'm sure we're familiar with:

KIT-1

At the other end of the build she will hopefully be adorned with a selection of the following markings:

KIT-2

So the first hurdle is right at the start - this is what they call a seat?

KIT-3

It's not much to work with and I tried to use either one of a couple of AM seats I had availablebut as space is so tight in the pit I have decided to stick with what I have and to

try and taffy it up - I've made a start:

KIT-4

I've also started to paint the pit and assemble the engine (I'd like to do more with it but don't think I have enough time, so it will not be on show:

KIT-5

Onething that is "de rigeur" for Harrier's is to droop open the auxiliary intake doors which is being done, and because I like it I have cut the flaps away to be added at

a drooped angle later on:

KIT-6

It's a slow start I know but things will get better once I get past the fidgety stages. So without further ado - thanks to our hosts Rob G, Jockney, and Col. for keeping us

all in check and I hope you all have a problem free build (🤣 did I really just say that?)

Thanks for looking.....

• Like 4

A solid start there. I'll admit now to the Sea Harrier being my absolute all-time favourite aircraft so am massively biased and looking forward to regular updates ;) 

13 hours ago, Col. said:

A solid start there. I'll admit now to the Sea Harrier being my absolute all-time favourite aircraft so am massively biased and looking forward to regular updates ;) 

Crumbs..........no pressure then!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pat, your quite right - I have been a little bit tardy with my updates so here's a little one to prove work is ongoing:

KIT-7

The fuselage has gone together really well, the joins were great and ther shouldn't be to much filler/sanding required. I have the nozzles ready but they'll not be

going on until much later. The cockpit tub is in place as is the engine (purely to hold the main inlet items), flaps have been put aside till later too.

KIT-8

The one problem join line is in the airbrake bay as you can see but I'll use some detailing to hide it. Both wheel bays are devoid of any detail so I intend to do up the

main one and as the doors are usually closed on the nosewheel bay when she's on the ground I've dodged a bullet on that one. I never really realised how many curves

are on this fuselage so spraying is going to be a little daunting for one who usually wields the hairy stick!

KIT-9

No Harrier looks right unless you open the auxilliary intake doors, so guess what?

KIT-10

I've spent some time on the seat as the kit offering was quite frankly abysmal, so I've built up the back, reshaped the head box, added armrests, and scratched a

couple of seat squabs. With a little more painting, some detailing and a little wear and tear and we'll be there.

Still a ways to go, but I'm still enjoying the work. I'm also encouraged by all the other work going on in this GB, I think there'll be some stunners come the closing

day. That's it for now,

Cheers.....

Edited by mackem01
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good evening / morning Peeps where ever you are. As promised, we finally have an update. I last left you where the airframe had been put together and the auxilliary doors

around the intakes had been drooped. I then painted the insides of the air intakes before putting them in place:

KIT-11

You can see there's quite a bit of filler around the engine access panel behind the cockpit that proved a little fiddly but I got there eventually. The intakes are in place and

I've also added fuel jettison pipes between the ailerons and flaps:

KIT-12

Before attaching the tailplanes I had to make up some sealing plates as the kit is devoid of those and they are quite noticeable:

KIT-13

I then turned to some little bits and pieces for a bit of relaxation. The tanks were quite straightforward but the heat protection plates were lacking detail. My solution was

to put strips of masking tape on them, once painted they should look like stiffening plates:

KIT-14

And.......after painting and decalling:

KIT-15

A couple of AIM-9L's getting in on the act too! Next pic shows the painted and weathered heat protection plates (I think they look OK):

KIT-16

And lastly, some shots of the seat:

KIT-17

KIT-18

KIT-19

Further progress and perhaps an airframe undercoat could be expected this weekend - Sunday's football not withstanding!

Thanks for sticking with my meagre efforts..........

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, just a couple of pics to illustrate progress. I did have more but Flickr will not play. Since the last post, I've added a few items but mostly it's been painting. the kit has three coats of EDSG and two coats of Quickshine with a couple of days between each to harden off. I'm quite pleased with the results but I'll let you guys be the final arbiters. Sorry I couldn't upload the complete set tonight, but I think you'll agree it's now time for decalling......

KIT-21

KIT-22

Hoping to crack on this week with decals and dangly bits!

Thanks for looking.....

Edited by mackem01
tidy up.
  • Like 3

Hi guys, decalling is proceeding ready for my next show and tell, however I've hit a problem concerning the underwing roundels. Did the 899NAS anniversary machines have underwing roundels and if so where were they positioned? T'interweb images do not show me - does anyone have the Airfix instructions or any other way of letting me know?

T.I.A....

Edited by mackem01
tidied up.

Okey-Dokey gang, got a midweek update for you, or a bit of midweek comedy depending on your point of view! Since the last time, there's been work and painting on the smaller bits and pieces ready to go on the airframe. The main focus however has been on decalling, and as of tonight, the big bit looks like this:

KIT-25

It was a best guess situation as  regards the underwing roundels as I couldn't find a decent image showing their whereabouts. I was going to detail the undercart and

airbrake bays, but changed my mind when I realised there's not much open to see. The pylons, outriggers, and airbrake are all ready to attach later.

KIT-24

Here we have a top view showing the most ill-behaved decal I have ever placed - that red engine bay marking was :angry:- it made on in three pieces despite starting out as one! I seperated the flaps from the wings and have only just put them back on. They will need a couple more coats of paint and the same for the Quickshine. There's also more paint detail to add.

KIT-27

Finally, a bit of colour has started to appear and these decals were much better behaved than the red one. I thought it would be better to leave the 'pit until last, that's why it looks a bit bare.

KIT-26

Last one for tonight showing the staarboard side. I'm really well pleased with my progress, even though at times it's been a little slow. As ever, plodding on to the finish line! Hope that keeps you entertained for tonight and as ever - thanks for popping in.

Cheers.....

Edited by mackem01
tidy up....again.
  • Like 2

Steady progress these past few days. I've started filling the 'pit, most noticeably the seat is now in; but there's more to be seen under the wings:

KIT-28

KIT-29

I've just noticedwhile posting these that the missile pylons are on the wrong sides (you can't see the warning triangles!), so there's an extra job!

KIT-30

KIT-31

So missles are ready, two extra decals to add, pitot is ready, then my favourite - the windscreen and canopy🙄 That concludes this week's update folks, hope you

approve.

BTW: Revell Decalsoft on clear parts - a yes, or very big no??

Edited by mackem01
Question.
  • Like 3

Tidy work  :speak_cool: 

Sorry I missed your question with regards placing the underwing roundels but sure you've got them close enough ;) As for the Decalsoft reacting with clear plastic; might be worth testing some on the runner frame rather than the canopy parts just in case...

• Thanks 1

Bottled it and decided not to use the Decalsoft. But no matter - she's finished now and will be up in the gallery in a few minutes if you fancy a chuckle!

Many thanks to Rob G, JOCKNEY, and Col for an entertaining group build.

• Like 1