Royal nowegian naval airforce 1940

Nils

Something I’ve done over time, showing one of the norwegian Heinkel 115’s and one of the rare norwegian built Høver MF.11, in the april days of 1940. Both shown in a rather unique but historical cammo scheme. Probably applied by their crews, with oil paint provided from local shops in the area they operated after the german occupation of Norway. This pair F.52 and No.328, were stationed by Bergen, were later designated as ‘Group Hardanger’ (as they operated from places in the Hardanger fjord area, inland from Bergen) Later the pair moved slowly northwards through Norway, as the norwegian troops were beaten and chased inland, and the german occupied area grew larger. The Høver finally (I believe) escaped to Finland and join the finnish airforce (one of two). The Heinkel’s history was more colourful. It were flown to the UK. To cut a long story short, it’s remains today rests in the war museum in Valetta, Malta. Via testing and evaluating by RAF, Solent through the summer of ‘40 it moved to Malta, painted black with no markings, operated by free french forces. Sadly it was a short lived adventure, it was lost just a few days  after the operations started.

Maltese fishers got some parts in their trawl a few years ago. But it’s original identification F.52 could be read on the pieces displayed in the museum.

Both planes together

Gruppe Hardanger_1_2500

the Heinkel shot from the Høver

Gruppe Hardanger_2500

• Like 8

A very interesting history. The unit (often referred to as Romsdalsfjord flygruppe) also operated together with a captured Arado Ar 196 (from the cruiser Hipper), and British Walrus.

Very nice paintings! The camouflage colours are more or less guesswork, though, as only b/w photos exist of the aircraft.

Nils

Hi Nils 😊 (navnebror!)

I got the colours from my friend K.Aakra (you might have heard of him, as he’s quite well informed about the era)

Of course, there will always be guess work as long as no one really knows excatly the colour codes or even the type of paint used, but in this case I’d say it’s qualified guess work 😊

Bot the cammo schrme is atleast confirmed, so we can say it’s half way 😊