Flaming Arrows! RS Models Reggiane Re.2005 Sagittario *** COMPLETED ***

clive_t

23 minutes ago, giemme said:

That's some serious modelling going on here, Clive! :clap: :clap:

Ciao

Thank you Giorgio, much appreciated :thumbsup2:

20 minutes ago, azureglo said:

That wasn't you I was chatting to in Fratton Model Centre this morning re a pickup with an AA gun  by any chance?

Anil, not me mate sorry. Today I have mostly been grandchild wrangling apart from a brief sliver of 'me' time which was enough to stick the fuselage to the lower wing part. Hope you managed to bag a bargain :)

• Like 1

Further progress late last night, followed by howls of anguish this morning. A painful lesson about not rushing things, and checking your dry-fits fully before committing to gluing:

jVQfQJW.jpg

I think it's a combination of my stupidity, my impatience and the wheel well PE sets causing the wing halves to not close fully. I thought I had clamped it, but evidently not properly - due at least in part to the undercarriage legs being in the way, something I've not had to contend with before. Not only that, but what I thought was a perfect fit between the fuselage, the wing lower half and the wing upper halves proved not to be the case. The left upper wing half is now slightly - but noticeably - out of alignment! :facepalm:

At this point the build was teetering on the brink of the bin, and it may yet happen, but this morning I have attempted something of a half-hearted rescue by the liberal application of some PPP to plug the gaping holes:

zQPlk8W.jpg

I am currently in two minds as to whether I continue with this or not. I'll set it aside and see how I feel about it later.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, giemme said:

I think you should keep trying, Clive

Ciao

3 hours ago, ProfSparks said:

Don't bin it, it's a valuable learning resource...

You're right both, if nothing else I can practice my airbrushing on it :)

I've turned my attention to the remaining control surfaces - as with the others I wanted them deflected away from the normal position, and I have seen pics of these aircraft with their rear flaps down whilst parked, so I've gone with that look:

ztEz5JQ.jpg

I also successfully parted the opening portion of the canopy from the front windscreen, then masked both parts with small lumps of Tamiya masking tape:

IELlViw.jpg

At this point I was able to fit the front part to the fuselage - and in doing so, noticed that somewhere along the line I'd lost the gunsight reflector :swear:. Another one was made up from some scrap acetate sheet. the windscreen should at least offer some protection against further accidents:

EGRSLBQ.jpg

For priming/painting I will have the canopy temporarily closed:

xfEQCS2.jpg

So, not what one would call a rescue job (still looks a mess) but at least some small wins this afternoon.

Thanks for looking :thumbsup2:

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Courageous said:

Doesn't look too bad, I've had worse, you can sort it.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, not sure how this will turn out now but I am going to persevere with it

2 minutes ago, Courageous said:

I think you should paint the canopy framing with the interior colour before the primer.

Stuart

Do you mean the inside of the canopy?

9 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Do you mean the inside of the canopy?

I think he means the outside; this way, when you remove the canopy and look from the inside, the color you'll see is the right one, even if you painted from outside.

Nice salvaging, BTW :clap: :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In light of the revelations above, thanks to Stuart and Giorgio, I have made another minor step forward:

pqB5P7q.jpg

The moveable canopy section is temporarily held in place with a few drops of PVA - should be relatively straightforward to remove and re-locate when the time comes.

As you can also see I've fitted the rear wings - next stop, a bit of spray primer to better ascertain the extent of the damage on the front wings.

Thanks all for stopping by, and of course for your suggestions - much appreciated as ever. :)

• Like 3

On 3/17/2019 at 8:00 PM, giemme said:

Nice going, Clive :clap:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :thumbsup2:

On 3/17/2019 at 10:19 PM, Courageous said:

Glad to see that you haven't thrown it.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart - I guess I was (and still am!) more angry with myself than the kit, but in my calmer moments I would accept that it's all part of the joy of the hobby :)

More progress today. Having previously sprayed the spinner half black, half white as per the instructions, I tried a dry-fit of the prop assembly:

K26vntq.jpg

I then fitted the ailerons and the rudder with minor deflections, and carefully pushed some crumpled up masking tape into the wheel wells in preparation for spray priming. I also fashioned a pair of 'bootees' to cover the undercarriage legs:

OyglgwW.jpg

With that, I was then able to prime with Tamiya rattle-can primer:

KdrTcz5.jpg

efarGo2.jpg

As expected, this has shown up a few areas where my initial attempts at filling came up short - so I will need to revisit those. But, it's coming along!

Thanks for watching :thumbsup2:

• Like 4

On 3/17/2019 at 5:25 PM, clive_t said:

The moveable canopy section is temporarily held in place with a few drops of PVA - should be relatively straightforward to remove and re-locate when the time comes.

Yes, of course thats what will happen. It will detach effortlessy without yanking off a half centimetre of primer and colour coat...all glues behave exactly as we want them to....:rage: On more useful note

http://drewesmodelblog.blogspot.com/

• Thanks 3

On 3/20/2019 at 9:49 AM, azureglo said:

Yes, of course thats what will happen. It will detach effortlessy without yanking off a half centimetre of primer and colour coat...all glues behave exactly as we want them to....:rage: On more useful note

http://drewesmodelblog.blogspot.com/

:D Actually, Anil, that's exactly what did happen - and aside from it falling off before I had completed the painting, I was quite happy that no damage was incurred with the existing paintwork!

Ah well it is indeed an ill wind that blows no good, so I took the opportunity to do what was suggested in the blog you shared and it is now back in place, no real harm done :thumbsup2:

Today was another 2-steps-forward-1-back kind of day - I managed to fit the air intake (I think) on the side of the fuselage, having first drilled out the end, filled it with some Milliput and pressed the wife's best cotton blouse into that to get the 'grille' effect:

WNeOGsZ.jpg

K3eOKVn.jpg

I then suffered some concussion as a direct result of the wife finding out how I had made that grille effect - how else could I have forgotten to pre-shade the panel lines before embarking on spraying the white for the fuselage band?

qqEcCp1.jpg

Sorry for any spelling/typos - it's dark in the shed, but I appear to have a mattress and a blanket, and several large and belligerent spiders for company, so it's not all bad!

Thanks for watching folks! :thumbsup2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, clive_t said:

- I managed to fit the air intake (I think) on the side of the fuselage, having first drilled out the end, filled it with some Milliput and pressed the wife's best cotton blouse into that to get the 'grille' effect:

I think it's the supercharger intake. Smart trick for the protection grill :clap: I either use PE grills or dismissed lady tights for that, and yes, I did make sure they were actually dismissed with my wife :winkgrin: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, giemme said:

I think it's the supercharger intake. Smart trick for the protection grill :clap: I either use PE grills or dismissed lady tights for that, and yes, I did make sure they were actually dismissed with my wife :winkgrin: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - you were just an hour too late with the advice about checking their redundancy first, otherwise I could have been sleeping in a proper bed tonight :D

• Haha 1

Some modest progress today - I managed to get the underside colour on. I decided I would forgo the panel-line pre-shading this time round, and instead go for some mottling of the panels with a slightly darker shade.

First off, the base colour - given Tamiya's evident reluctance to sell anything labelled as Reggia Aeronautica colours, I opted for XF80 ('Royal Light Grey') for the underside:

vA5CyGq.jpg

Trust me, the undersides of the wings are sprayed with that colour! You will also note that I had already masked the 'white band' on the fuselage in preparation for when I apply the green (which will be Tamiya XF61 Dark Green when I get around to it).

I then applied some mottling to the underside of the wings using XF20 Medium Grey:

tX3dILl.jpg

As I was applying it I didn't think it was that noticeable, but once it had dried I could see it; to my untrained eye it looked OK.

Finally, I went over it again with the original XF80, albeit much thinned from its previous consistency:

t6Zi6p0.jpg

That has now had some Klear brushed on it to seal it all in, and next up hopefully is the topside colour.

• Like 3

Indeed, next up... topside colour! Nice and easy this, even I can't mess this up! OK it's probably the wrong shade of green, but it looks fairly close. First though, masking up... and another casualty - the pitot tube finally succumbed to yet another mauling from my ham fists. No matter, I've not lost the part so it will go back on when things have settled down a bit more:

J0sS0tp.jpg

Another casualty, albeit not easily visible, is that in my attempts to remove the masking tape lumps from the wheel wells, I dislodged one of the PE pieces - it's still in there, but hanging by a thread, so I shall need to be extra careful to fix that. OK, on with the green:

h3pXLFZ.jpg

Not looking too bad! Hopefully tomorrow I can get a bit of mottling done on that. Progress, yippee! :D

• Like 3

Nice paint job, Clive :clap: 

I feel your pain about the ... casualties - I always try not to put on sticky out bits till the very end of the build, because I'd be knocking them off in no time :chair:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Thanks 1