Postwar lancaster kit advice needed.

panzerlehr46

Hi guys.

Im keen to portray a Postwar Lancaster or.Im going to get the Freightdog ASR lifeboat set.Would the Airfix b.111 kit be suitable for postwar lancasters?,Not the Dambusters kit or mk.2 lancaster kit.The F.e tiger force is hard to find.

Many thanks for any advice.

Rich.

It should be fine - the Freightdog set has the relevant late Lancaster bits you need - Lincoln rudder and wheels, plus the tropical filters for the engines and the rear fuselage camera fairing.  All you need to do is cut the requisite windows in the rear fuselage.

Don't rule out the Hasewgawa kit if you can get one cheap, try that instead - it comes with the tropical filters and rear fuselage camera fairing on the sprues anyway, plus the glazing for the later rear fuselage windows is also included.  The build is much easier than the Airfix kit but less detailed whilst the outer engines may need some shims to get them to hang correctly.

Edited by The Wooksta!

I have the Airfix kit in the stash and as far as I am aware it is supposed to be the F.E version suitable for a post-war Lancaster.

I dont know precisely when they introduced the Lincoln style rudders as the kit doesnt have them but its a simple fix to add the square at the bottom.

It also has the post-war turret which is a bonus over the older Airfix kit. The starboard side heater scope shouldn't be that difficult to replicate.

Good luck with the build but do your research as not all converted post-war Lancs had the camera housing beneath the rear turret or the windows opposite the rear door entry.

None of the Airfix kits provide the deeper radiators needed for the FE version and many post war examples.  However I don't know how many post war aircraft retained the standard radiators, so it is a matter of checking photographs for the particular example you want to make.  It is not the most obvious of alterations, but...