A quickie to test Alclad, fourth finish of the year. Changed the photosetup a little and started futzing about with softboxes , looks a bit better...As is my current thing, everything is brand new, shiny and very pilotless. The kit is simple and has a mixture of good details and strange quirks as you'd expect for a £7 kit, for those interested there's an RFI here.

Onto the pix:

frontstbd.JPG

fronttopstbd.jpg

reartop.JPG

stbd.JPG

detail1.JPG

detail2.JPG

topport1.JPG

• Like 18

11 minutes ago, Cloudman1961 said:

Impressive paintwork.

I’ve not used the alclad paints, how did it go? Looks good for sure...

I found it very easy; Alclad are super thinned, i.e. they'll drip from the pipette., the trick is very light touch on the trigger , pulling back till you get misting and then I build up to a wet coat*. I used it on my Spit 22 (see therapy build link in my sig) and was stunned how easy it is to use. Clean up literally  is minutes and the only downside is you're spraying cellulose (lacquer) thinner so facemasks, extractors, facing Mecca etc are required. You're fairly local, if want to venture up my way, you can have go and see it floats yer boat! ( or coats it in aluminium).

Anil

*I use a 0.4/0.6mm set up in my dedicated H&S evolution to spray, it don't like fine nozzles...

3 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Great result! 

I think  those Hobbyboss 'easy kits' can be a great palate-cleanser and/or way to test new techniques, especially for the price 

Many thanks,. Exactly what I used it for: my Anigrand resin Luft 46  and Wildcat conversion were driving me slightly crazy so needed to make something not just stare at mounds of filler and wet or dry

10 minutes ago, azureglo said:

I found it very easy; Alclad are super thinned, i.e. they'll drip from the pipette., the trick is very light touch on the trigger , pulling back till you get misting and then I build up to a wet coat*. I used it on my Spit 22 (see therapy build link in my sig) and was stunned how easy it is to use. Clean up literally  is minutes and the only downside is you're spraying cellulose (lacquer) thinner so facemasks, extractors, facing Mecca etc are required. You're fairly local, if want to venture up my way, you can have go and see it floats yer boat! ( or coats it in aluminium).

Anil

*I use a 0.4/0.6mm set up in my dedicated H&S evolution to spray, it don't like fine nozzles...

Interesting. You make it sound on the one hand extremely easy and then on the other incredibly difficult!😀

Not sure i’m serious enough a modeller to invest in all the peripheral equipment.

Thanks for the offer. Perhaps if find a suitable subject, i’ll take you up on it in due course? 

• Like 1

Jeepers azureglo - you're hammering out the models this year.  This is great - looks like a decent kit and I love this plane - New photo set up works well! Photos are great.  

I'm also about to give these paints a test run - as have a few nmf builds in the queue.  Did you use the Alcad base gloss primer..? I've read that the prep really determines how the finish will end up with this stuff... Also - what colours did you use? Airframe aluminum for the base colour? 

Edited by Kitchen Modeller
spelling

10 minutes ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

Jeepers azureglo - you're hammering out the models this year.  This is great - looks like a decent kit and I love this plane - New photo set up works well! Photos are great.  

I'm also about to give these paints a test run - as have a few nmf builds in the queue.  Did you use the Alcad base gloss primer..? I've read that the prep really determines how the finish will end up with this stuff... Also - what colours did you use? Airframe aluminum for the base colour? 

Primer was alclad grey* for this one, smoothed down with micromesh 12000, literally half a dozen swipes and dusted off. Colours were Aluminum=base, dark=duraluminium. light=white aluminum and the exhaust/fin tip was Steel. + Thanks for the compliments, as some one randomly hacks away at plastic kits, reassurance that they aren't hideous is a good thing!!!

* I made sure to lay on a reasonably "wet" coat so it was as smooth as possible and added few drops of mr Levelling thinner for insurance

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cloudman1961 said:

Interesting. You make it sound on the one hand extremely easy and then on the other incredibly difficult!😀

Not sure i’m serious enough a modeller to invest in all the peripheral equipment.

Thanks for the offer. Perhaps if find a suitable subject, i’ll take you up on it in due course? 

Its really simple, having another dork who's not messed it up on hand will give you ample confidence, give me a shout when you wanna have a go! As for being a serious modeller, dude, I shove 'em on plastic rods and polish  'em with pledge, mind you I do it to the real life ones as well!!!

mk24b.jpg&key=43a6e8d01bd75a769efd472978

mk24a.jpg&key=b7094e9706f0a78cfd38316e01

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...