Sideshow Collectibles Death Dealer Customization

Steff84

Hi everybody,

There is no going back now :D

Why and other things can be found here: Thread "why"

My thoughts:

I never liked the painting and some parts of the sculpting/decision making. For example, why is his head so much angled, like he says: oh look, a penny! And the spike on his helmet is very crooked. The holes for the eyes in the helmet are so tiny and uneven. Why does he have a kind of mini skirt in the front that would barely cover his ding dong? And the paint of the base looks like its all the same color in real life. 

My todo list:

-    Put LEDs into his eyes

-    On/Off switch in the base with a power plug

-    Reshape the eyes

-    New spike on helmet

-    More material on the skirt part in the front

-    LED cover on backside of the helmet?

-    Repaint the whole thing

-    Redo some stuff on the base

To start things up, I beheaded him and drilled holes from the front to the back with a 2mm drill. Then I went with a 4.5mm drill from the back to almost to the front, so the LED would sit nicely and the eye parts would not look like a giant hole.

Original statue:

dd01.jpg

beheaded...

01.jpg

I will go for more of a head pose like this:

02.jpg

The tiny eyes and the crooked spike

04.jpg

To make wiring and painting easier, I wanted to take off the robe. Well, I didn't think it would be glued on that good, so the thing broke in half. I kind of expected this to happen, so big deal and a easy fix. 

03.jpg

eyes drilled with 2mm

05.jpg

06.jpg

Drilled from the back with a 4.5mm

07.jpg

Testfit and the LEDs

08.jpg

The effect I was looking for.

09.jpg

10.jpg

Right now, I’m powering the LEDs with a 6V power adapter (I can adjust it from 3 up to 12V). I don’t know if I should go with 12V and upgrade the resistor, so the power adapter could be a more common one, in case I would lose or breake it.

Also, I’m thinking about not closing the head from behind completely. Instead, creating a kind of cover with a magnet in it, so in case of a LED failure, I would be able to pop it off and replace the LEDs. I would have to make a kind of ornament on the backside of the helmet. What do you think?

Stefan

• Like 6

Okey, just in case somebody is watching this, I made some progress ;)

I cut out a big junk of his helmet to make a cover later.

11.jpg

Drilled a hole for the magnet and carved out where the cable will be running through. 

12.jpg

Since I carved out the lines first, I had to cover them up with clay to prevent the apoxie sculpt from going into all the carves. I then put clingfilm over it, since the apoxie sculpt won´t stick to it. 
I started remodeling the back of the helmet and sanded it down later. At the same time I sanded down the eyes, which I remodeled previous. 

13.jpg

I added new LEDs, now 2.5 time as powerful as the first ones. Now it really looks like hes eyes are burning. 

14.jpg

Now I need to remodel the neck. 

15.jpg

16.jpg

Stefan

Edited by Steff84
  • Like 8

I did some work and some mistakes. 

I dremeled out the path for the wires, cut out a hole to access the battery. I wanted to go with a 12V plug, but this way the statue would have to stand next to a plug with a ugly wire to the statue itself, so I changed my plan and went with a 9V battery. 

I remodeled the cover for the battery with 4 magnets. I later had to increase the size of the tree (handle for the cover), since the magnets are very strong. Right now I'm happy how everything turns out. Still have to sand everything as soon as its dry. 

Mistake:

I always planed to prime the head and painting the inside of the eyes before installing the wires, but when I was working on the soldering I completely forgot everything and glued it in place. Now i will have to carefully paint the inside of the eye parts and hope not to cover the LEDs and not to leave a white spot. -.-

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Stefan

• Like 4

I couldn't stop and changed the position of the horns 🙈

The helmet was just too small in my opinion, so i added another 2-3mm and changed the shape at the bottom a little bit. 

Also I wanted the beheaded to be an orc, so I remodeled the head and neck. For finishing the remodeling process, I added a scar and a fresh cut to the death dealer. 

And of course I did a oopsie. To cover the eyes I used a masking clay. After priming, I wanted to take it away, but I couldn't get it out. It stuck to the LEDs and the inside of the eyes. I had to rip off the wires (because the damn superglue was so strong) and take out the LEDs. I will rewire the whole thing AFTER the painting like I first planned. 

Now hes ready for painting. 

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

Stefan

• Like 5

I decided to go into the direction of frank frazettas color scheme. I got the first layer of skin down and I'm thinking about doing it again. Even though I like the look of the veins and blood vessels under the skin, I don't like the splatters. And the top color is not exactly what I wanted. It's better if I start new now, instead of when I'm done with the skin. 

25.jpg

26.jpg

Stefan

• Like 6

@rockpopandchips and Silenoz, Thank you guys.

I'm still figuring out the colors. First time with MIG colors and somehow they separate if mixed together, no matter how long and good I mix them. As soon as I put them into the airbrush, I already see the separation.

Stefan

• Like 1

Okey I redid the skin (3 times so far) and now I'm pretty happy with it. I know that a lot of details will get lost, but I know they are there :D Sorry about the bad lightning and pictures. 

Also, I added a piece of cloth, so he won't look like a gladiator anymore. To blend this piece in, I added rough edges to all the cloth pieces. (sorry, no picture from the back piece).

27.jpg

28.jpg

Stefan

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I smoothed out the cloth because it didn't fit the rest of the sculpting style. And I started with the metal work.

I'm not quite sure if I'm happy with the color tone of the metal. maybe more silver than copper. I don't know. I will decide after everything is colored if I will redo the metal :)

29.jpg

Stefan

• Like 8

The metal looks *fantastic* Stefan, especially the chest & shoulders - really believable. But I do worry that it's quite close in hue and value to the skin, it'll be interesting to see how it looks with the other colours in place.

I just scrolled back up to the factory paint - night & day difference, yours is much more atmospheric!

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

thank you very much Will!

This is actually the very problem I have with the metal as well. I will repaint the metal parts (everything but the ax) in a grey color with maybe copper details. 

I'm also thinking of modeling a cape. He still looks too much of a gladiator 😕

Stefan

• Like 1

On 19/04/2019 at 12:39, Silenoz said:

With the skin like this he seems more like a warrior zombie instead of a possessed barbarian...

Well the dead looking skin was always the plan. I wanted to go more off the rail than just copying it, since the whole sculpt is not very close to the original. BUT, I wanted to keep the mood of the original. I think i mostly dislike the fact that he has naked legs instead of chain mail. 

I started with the metal part over and wanted to hear what you think. Better this way or changing it more? It's hard to get a picture with the exact colors. You sure know the problem. 

30.jpg

Stefan

Edited by Steff84
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Major Uff...Sorry I wasn't here for a long time and din't touch this project for even longer.

I neither had time nor motivation to do so. 

I was not happy with the bare legs and the quality of the orc head didn't match the rest of the sculp. So I sculpted a new head, trophy teeth, chainmail, a sword and a cape and 3D printed it in resin. Now the motivation is back. Here are some pictures of the prints. The Head is already primed and ready to go. However, I will paint it at the end so I will get a feeling for the color scheme (human skin or green skin). 

The left Head was the prototype. The final one is 4 cm tall (1.57"), the neck included. So its slightly bigger than the Head of the DD, because I assume orcs would be bigger ^^

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

till next time

Stefan

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Alright, I made some progress. Still a loooot to do and I can't wait for the dirt and blood work as final touches. 

Right now, all the holes are closed, the original stuff is back on and a lot is painted. I still need to add the rest of the chainmail, cape, teeth/bones and sword (and paint them :D). I nocked down the skin a little bit, so it's more greyish like the original paintings and comics. 

I really have to finish this project, cause the next one is already waiting. I won't rush it though. 

spacer.png

Till next time, 

Cheers

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you very much Nikolay, I somehow didn't see your response.

I'm mostly done with Death dealer itself. I will have to fix the axe (I broke it the 5th time...) and part of the cape. Other than that, He's ready for weathering. 

Oh and I used Black 2.0  for the inside of the helmet and the eyes and nose for the skull in the belt. It's mind-boggling how it doesnt reflect any light. Just like a hole - as intended. Now the eyes are creepy enough. You cant even see the LEDs. I can highly recommend it the color for special parts.

spacer.png

Cheers, Stefan

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...