Ok...as promised, a bit of Eduard to straighten me out after the weirdness that was the last Mig I built...oy!

Since Stew is building the Romanian Film Star I figured I'd start in on the Hungarian Mig-15bis from the 25th Fighter Div., 35th Fighter Reg., Taszar Air Base

Hungary, 1954-55.

I swear I saw that someone is building another Eduard Mig...East German?  Or am I confusing it with Exdraken's Viennese Mig?

Here's a page from the Eduard booklet...I'll sort out the sprue later...That is actually the hardest part of the Big Eduard Box O'Migs...

Like the Spitfires, they almost build themselves.

46424741084_4958443389_b_d.jpg

--John

• Like 8

as far as i know this is the 4th MiG-15 here :) 

2 Eduard 72nd,  1 Zvezda 72nd  (your other one ) and the Trumpeter 48th one (mine) 

very nice photos of Tazar around the net....! freaky knowadays!

taszar-over.jpg

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/images/taszar-over.jpg

https://goo.gl/maps/H4MFP6XxfX42

google maps

yours on the lower left ;) 

great you do another one!

will be easier this time I assume :thumbsup:

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 2

Thanks for the overhead shot exdraken.  That would make a nice diorama...I see a '15, a 19 and a pair of '21s?  

Meanwhile...here's a view of the factory floor...I have not included the clear sprue.  I'll get into it this evening.

32211576717_00cae4da3c_b_d.jpg

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Maybe the fifth!  davek79 will be building the JAG 11 East German Mig from Eduard I think...

Or even the sixth (with my 1/100 Tamiya) :winkgrin:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Col. said:

same size, maybe even more a challenge and even better!:

https://www.scalemodellingnow.com/hnaircraftkits-hph-models-mig15bis

15 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

No thanks gents...I'd have to move into a new flat to make room...😁

a new flat could be nice as well as a side effect of this GB?  :D

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, exdraken said:

a new flat

Alas...the AirBnB trend has destroyed the rental market here.  I am fortunate to have the flat that I am in.  Most people can only stay from October to the end of May and then must pack up and leave so their can try to make money.  I am fortunate to have a year-round lease.  In 2 or 3 years the whole AirBnB thing here in Greece will go bust.  

Back to the Mig...

I love the pre-painted PE from Eduard.  It is really lovely to work with and makes the cockpit pieces really come to life!  Since this is a pre-1960s Mig, the cockpit colours are a uniform steel grey.  The turquoise came into play mid-1960s.

33307784368_708c16b377_b_d.jpg

Two angles of the cockpit.  It is actually several pieces (12-13) and took me two days to complete.

33307784298_eb9d7823f0_b_d.jpg

47131198932_617accd8b4_b_d.jpg

I hope I have enough ballast!  That is lead sinkers filled in with liquid gravity.

And the engine and snout...

33307784098_6af21879a1_b_d.jpg

A test fit with the fuselage was a success and it is a very tight fit indeed!  I really wish Eduard gave me .5 mm to adjust.  Not  change!  I'll close up the fuselage today.

--John

• Like 4

I have closed up the fuselage, added the stabilizers and put the wing halves together.  Regarding the closing-of-the-fuselage...I made the same error as Stew in that I added weight in the wrong place in the nose.  I had some difficulties closing up the bottom part fo the fuselage and I will have some trouble with the nose ring.  I had to grind some and scrape some but it came together with only the slightest seam.  

My suggestion to Eduard is to supply the weight needed and have that weight shaped properly so it would fit neatly where it is supposed to go.  Just an idea...

So here is where I am...

46295227535_fff81b7697_b_d.jpg

--John

• Like 3

Thanks Col.  I haven't taken any pics recently but I have a question about Mr. Surfacer 1000 primer (rattle can).  I used it for the first time on the Mig and I am not sure this wasn't a mistake.  It has a satin sheen to it and I am hoping it will allow Vallejo Air to adhere.  Have I made a mistake in using it?

I need to mask the canopy now...

Edited by John D.C. Masters

Great job. The liquid weight in the nose was a good move: I stuffed my MiG15 up by forcing a lead sinker into place (as I will soon explain on my own thread).

Here in Tasmania AirBnB short-term leasing is creating a shortage of rental apartments and houses.  Anywhere there's a reasonable amount of tourism it seems to be an issue.

I was unsure about the Mr. Surfacer reacting well to the Vallejo Air, so I have given the Mig a dusting of Humbrol Primer.  Before I did that, I attached the guns, the radio antennae and the outer fuel pods.  

33399498398_972d20d7c3_b_d.jpg

46360776325_40f05673f9_b_d.jpg

Aside from masking and priming the canopy, I am ready for the paint shop I think.  I haven't done much with the wheels or landing gear but I can get around to that in a bit.

--John

• Like 4