exhaust pipe diameter for Siskin?

JackG

Hi Chris, thanks for those.  I decided to go with a 0.9mm rod, which would scale up to about 2.55 inches.   It measures up to about a hair less against the Matchbox piece.

As an aside, am  I imagining things - but does the aircraft no.20 have has it's starboard main wing clipped?   It also looks to have an odd layout of underside roundels, the original large size on the port main wing, and a smaller one on the starboard lower wing.  Whatever the reason, will still follow the drawings by Granger and place roundels in symmetrical fashion.

sSrSYV6.jpg

4w7mrlI.jpg

Aircraft  no.22, also appears to have a clipped wing, but the port side:

2rNj2eG.jpg

regards,

Jack

I ended up replacing most of the undercarriage with brass rods.   My kit part was short shotted a bit on the main wheel axle, so that combined with staring too much at photos convinced me things could be better, but to be fair, it is a Matchbox kit.

UXVXigA.jpg

fvPla0f.jpg

Fk0z8ZL.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JackG said:

As an aside, am  I imagining things - but does the aircraft no.20 have has it's starboard main wing clipped?   It also looks to have an odd layout of underside roundels, the original large size on the port main wing, and a smaller one on the starboard lower wing.  Whatever the reason, will still follow the drawings by Granger and place roundels in symmetrical fashion.

4w7mrlI.jpg

regards,

Jack

Actually it is the ailerons that are off centered that are creating an appearance of a clipped wing.  This is really pronounced in the above photo where the left aileron is down and the right one is up and part of the roundel is up and out of sight because of it.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1

Dave, thanks for that.  

It's actually the side of the wing I was focusing on, but must be same explanation as the aileron position.  The curve pf the wingtip from the last rib to outer tip combined with the viewing angle is such that the under-surface disappears from sight.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2019 at 11:07 PM, JackG said:

As an aside, am  I imagining things - but does the aircraft no.20 have has it's starboard main wing clipped? 

Note that the wing underside of both wings slopes sharply upwards from the last rib outboard to the tip. This is why the outboard edge of the roundel appears to be clipped on the wing furthese away from view. Looking at the photo's its obvious once you know what to look for, but is missing from the Granger drawings, which are more akin to the flat tip undersides of the Siskin I/II/IV/V wings.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hello Mark, thanks for the interest.  Unfortunately another build that has languished. 

I had managed to finish the engine and rebuilt the strut covers, this time with brass sheet.  Since then have had some custom PE made, and drawn up decals to include replacing the stitching. 

Haven't photographed the new struts, but here's a close up of the engine:

3YhGIrx.jpeg

regards,

Jack

• Like 5

10 hours ago, JackG said:

Hello Mark, thanks for the interest.  Unfortunately another build that has languished. 

I had managed to finish the engine and rebuilt the strut covers, this time with brass sheet.  Since then have had some custom PE made, and drawn up decals to include replacing the stitching. 

Haven't photographed the new struts, but here's a close up of the engine:

3YhGIrx.jpeg

regards,

Jack

Hi Jack,

many thanks for your reply - that's a bit of a shame, the Siskin languishing, but the good news is that it hasn't been abandoned! You were making great progress: your detailing of the engine looks very convincing while the gunsights and the new undercarriage are exemplary. I hope you do manage to finish it! I'm intigued by your mention of bespoke etch and new stitching - do you mind if I ask what parts you had etched, and was the stitching decal in 3D similar to Archer's rivet transfers?

Thanks again and best regards,

Mark

For the stitching I've looked at the after market and found the PE options too bulky and out of scale.  Of 3D printed decals, I imagine it would be worse as I could not find anything in 72nd scale?  So what I did is design the decal to basically represent the shadows of the stitching detail:

stitching-detail.jpg

The custom PE is on 0.15mm thick brass sheet, and those surfaces areas that are half etched being  0.075mm thick.  Details starting from the left, include:

-'plates' and spacers for the underside radiator

- pair of underside (lower wing) plates with attachment points for wires, as well as two other square plates

- three mini propellers for the various generators

- Holt flare system, base and arms

- five fuselage panels for replacing the embossed ones on the Matchbox kit

Some will have to redo as the holes did not completely etch through.

sisken-PE2-detail.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JackG said:

For the stitching I've looked at the after market and found the PE options too bulky and out of scale.  Of 3D printed decals, I imagine it would be worse as I could not find anything in 72nd scale?  So what I did is design the decal to basically represent the shadows of the stitching detail:

The custom PE is on 0.15mm thick brass sheet, and those surfaces areas that are half etched being  0.075mm thick.  Details starting from the left, include:

-'plates' and spacers for the underside radiator

- pair of underside (lower wing) plates with attachment points for wires, as well as two other square plates

- three mini propellers for the various generators

- Holt flare system, base and arms

- five fuselage panels for replacing the embossed ones on the Matchbox kit

Some will have to redo as the holes did not completely etch through.

regards,

Jack

Hi Jack,

many thanks - that's very kind of you! The stitching decal idea is excellent, one that would not have occurred to me but which having been explained is so obvious. The etched parts look tremendous and will, I'm certain, add to the finished model immensely!

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...