Revell 1/72 Halifax III

58 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Lovely tidy job on that Roger, I've resisted buying one of these while I still have an Airfix one in stock but after seeing yours, I may have to reconsider. :)

Steve.

Thanks very much Steve. I must say this kit went together very well, fit of parts was great and very little filler needed.

10 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

A splendid job - looks as though it just rolled off the production line!

Thanks very much Ed. 🙂

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cloudman1961 said:

I’ve got to say, when you look at the moveable ailerons etc, it does look a lot like the Airfix kit.

They’re not using common moulds are anything like that, are they?

No, new tooling from Revell a few years ago.  (they did also issue the Matchbox kit as a Revell kit for many years )

The original Mk,I/II kit had overwide engines and nacelles,  which cause much anguish and aftermarket bits, as the Mk.III has new engines/wings, and I have not read reams about it's faults, I think it's OK accuracy wise, and modern Revell toolings are good kits, as in they fit well and are well engineered.  Worth chekcing about for accuracy issues though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Troy Smith said:

No, new tooling from Revell a few years ago.  (they did also issue the Matchbox kit as a Revell kit for many years )

... modern Revell toolings are good kits, as in they fit well and are well engineered.

Yeah, should have known that - you can see this is very slick.

Agree on Revell kits. I recently built the 1/72 Richthofen Eurofighter and I have the Hawker Hunter and Tornado on my ‘next to do list’. All are (or appear to be) well engineered, as you say.

• Like 1

Followed your progress although I didn't comment on the thread, but the Halifax looks fantastic. 

I've one in the stash maybe I'll get around to it some day. If it turns out half as good as yours I'll be really happy! 

Great work again 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

modern Revell toolings are good kits, as in they fit well and are well engineered

I reviewed the Halifax when it came out and I have to agree. It seems quite accurate and is far better than their Merlin one. The main problem was the confusion amongst the instruction writing team (s?) about which version(s) you could make from the kit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Antb said:

Followed your progress although I didn't comment on the thread, but the Halifax looks fantastic. 

I've one in the stash maybe I'll get around to it some day. If it turns out half as good as yours I'll be really happy! 

Great work again 

🙂 Thank you.

In my opinion, the Hercules engines are not that well done. The gear casing ( Part # 44 ) looks more like something from a Wright  engine. Also, the bomb-bay doors aren't done right ( both Merlin and Hercules kits have this problem ). Revell failed to make the upper door openable.

36263823095_e5d72f5e89_z.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Hi @Roger Newsome. Could I just ask what finish you used over the paint? I'm not sure if the sheen is light reflection or a satin coat. Either way, I like it.

Hi Vinnie, some of it is light reflection but it does have satin finish. I sprayed a couple of coats of MR Hobby H30 Gloss Clear before putting the decals on and then H20 Flat Clear. The flat was sprayed very thin and allowed to dry between coats until the required amount of sheen was reached. 

Hope that helps.

Roger.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Having read up on the new issue Revell kits, their Merlin version has all sorts of engine problems plus undersize main wheels. The Hercules engines are far better done but the undersize wheels remain an issue.

I used resin main wheels from Freightdog after reading about that problem.