Tuskeegee Squadron 1:72?

Uncle Pete

2 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

aftermarket decal sets

That was my second choice... I'd sooner get it all in one box if I can.  I figured if it came with the kit I'd be sure of getting the right 'Stang.  I watched the movie "Red Tails" last night and thought the scheme would brighten up the shelf a bit among all the olive and brown.

Just now, Uncle Pete said:

That was my second choice... I'd sooner get it all in one box if I can.  I figured if it came with the kit I'd be sure of getting the right 'Stang.  I watched the movie "Red Tails" last night and thought the scheme would brighten up the shelf a bit among all the olive and brown.

I figured that just after I posted it, kit ones. Just looked and saw Tamiya and Hasegawa make one.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Tuskegee Airmen from 1995

I saw that one too... Can't remember much about it, though.  "Red Tails" is actually a bit corny and "John Wayney".  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it but it struck me as very old school and a bit on the contrived side.  (Lots of lines like "Take that, Jerry"... That sort of thing).  The aircraft were photographed very well and the air battle sequences were all CGI but very exciting although a little more crowded than one would expect in reality.  In general I give it a solid thumbs up, definitely worth the price of admission.

3 hours ago, Uncle Pete said:

From memory the Red Tails film depicts P51Ds with the bubble top exclusively . Actually there were examples of many different variants. Suggest you start by looking at the decals available. 

I did the same thing in 1/48

I enjoyed the film but you have to suspend disbelief and go with a lot of inaccuracies...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Uncle Pete said:

... the scheme would brighten up the shelf a bit among all the olive and brown.

Frankly speaking there are hundreds of parrot-like Mustang schemes to portrait and even the whole-redtailed Tuskegee P-51Ds aren't the most colourful ones. But a year or so earlier the 322nd FG flew Airacobras in standard OD/NG camouflage like these two portrayed in March or April 1944 on the Montecorvino airfield (some 10 miles/15km off Salerno).

http://lestweforget.hamptonu.edu/page.cfm?uuid=9FEC33AA-CC00-30F3-45DA1E80EE4332CC

And here (in my opinion at least) it appears that P-47D weren't the first red-tailed Tuskegee fighters, as the vertical fin of 44-3022 (image 10/14) looks lighter than the fuselage tail - moreover there's a darker area surrounding last two yellow digits on the rudder. For me it means that the whole vertical tail (or at least the rudder) was painted red already on the Tuskegee P-39s.  And then there's another picture (image 13/14) from the same airfield - remnants of yellow band are visible between the fuselage insignia and tail as is the two digit (almost unreadable) tactical number on the cockpit door. But there is NO SERIAL on the freshly-painted fin while some digits ("72" can be clearly read) are visible under the tailplane. A red-tailed P-39Q should be something really special on your cabinet shelf, don't you think?

Cheers

Michael 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I haven't seen that particular movie, but have seen Tuskegee Airmen from 1995 which is very good. I'll have to watch the Red Tails and see how it compares.

Personally, don't bother.  I watched the trailers and checked the IMDB listing for the movie before it came out and decided against it.  CGI fest with incorrect markings for the German aircraft, the B-17s were all marked for an 8th AF group and not a 15th AF group, and for me, worst of all, not one damn character in the movie is named for an actual Tuskegee Airman.  What a way to honor them, make a crappy movie about them and don't use any actual names of real Tuskegee Airmen.

Later,

Dave

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Uncle Pete said:

I saw that one too... Can't remember much about it, though.  "Red Tails" is actually a bit corny and "John Wayney".  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it but it struck me as very old school and a bit on the contrived side.  (Lots of lines like "Take that, Jerry"... That sort of thing).  The aircraft were photographed very well and the air battle sequences were all CGI but very exciting although a little more crowded than one would expect in reality.  In general I give it a solid thumbs up, definitely worth the price of admission.

Might still check it out just to poke fun at it, prefer movies with accuracy. Kinda like the Gone in 60 seconds original compared to the newer one. I won't even watch Das Boot.

11 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Might still check it out just to poke fun at it, prefer movies with accuracy.

Well it ain’t that, certainly. For me it is a bit of fun though, and as such I enjoyed it. That included all the grumbling I was doing in the background..😉

I think the film portrays P40’s rather than P39’s before all the aircraft are replaced en masse by the Mustangs.

The other thing I found amusing was one scene where a couple of the P51s were coming in to land from a mission (I think the one at the end where the aircraft crashed). Anyway as they flow along above the runway, the appeared to pass hundreds of red tailed mustangs arranged beside the airstrip in nice, net blocks.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

prefer movies with accuracy

I don't think this movie was trying to be anywhere close to accurate.  It delivers the same thing we got from Biggles and Battler Britton when we were kids... Heroes in heroic situations.  It had all the stock characters, the boss (Cuba Gooding), the quiet, disciplined major who understands his guys, the overstressed flight leader who drinks on the quiet, the hot dogging young star pilot who breaks the rules and gets away with it (echoes of Tom Cruise in Top Gun), the imposing John Wayne-ish colonel (Cuba's boss) with the attitude of "I'll whup any of my guys that cross me but I'll protect them like a tigress protects her cubs against oustsiders", the grumpy mechanic always complaining about the mess the pilots were making of "his" planes  Basically, good clean escapist fun.

4 hours ago, Cloudman1961 said:

The other thing I found amusing was one scene where a couple of the P51s were coming in to land from a mission (I think the one at the end where the aircraft crashed). Anyway as they flow along above the runway, the appeared to pass hundreds of red tailed mustangs arranged beside the airstrip in nice, net blocks.

The flying scenes in general were a bit far fetched.  What struck me more about the landing I think you're talking about was the separation (or the lack thereof) between the planes.  Struck me as a bit unsafe to be landing line astern only a few yards apart... That stuff is more for display pilots at air shows than working pilots in a war.  (And I did my share of grumbling in the background, too, by the way!)

16 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Tuskegee p-39

I might go for one of those too...  Always liked the shape of the 39, very elegant, almost feminine.  Had an almost-scale Cox .049 C/L P39 as a kid.  Most yanks of that period are a bit more on the blunt, "flannel shirt and Doc Martens" workmanlike side.  Even the 51, pretty as it is, is a bit chubby round the midriff.

On 2/19/2019 at 9:00 PM, Cloudman1961 said:

I enjoyed the film but you have to suspend disbelief and go with a lot of inaccuracies.

Couldn't agree more.  You could say the same for just about any flyboy movie, though.

Take a look for the Three Guys Replicas sheet TGR27011. Tuskegee Airmen in Italy.  It has a P-39 on the sheet.  Of course Three Guys Replicas are long gone but you maybe able to find it on E-Bay.

Later,

Dave

I just realized the movie I saw(Tuskegee Airmen) was about the first group of pilots as a test. When they get to Europe, they go right into flying Mustangs and not the P-39. I guess it shaved off an hour of the movie.

On 2/19/2019 at 7:19 PM, JosephLalor said:

There's a 1/72 P-51C with a Red Tails option from Academy as well.

That is the one I used for mine in the Ready for Inspection section.

Peter

9 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I just realized the movie I saw(Tuskegee Airmen) was about the first group of pilots as a test. When they get to Europe, they go right into flying Mustangs and not the P-39. I guess it shaved off an hour of the movie.

If they haven't flown Cobras they couldn't be the FIRST group. The 322nd FG were flying P-40s, P-39s and P-47s for several months before receiving first Mustangs.

Cheers

Michael

15 hours ago, e8n2 said:

Take a look for the Three Guys Replicas sheet TGR27011. Tuskegee Airmen in Italy.  It has a P-39 on the sheet.  Of course Three Guys Replicas are long gone but you maybe able to find it on E-Bay.

Later,

Dave

TGR72011 to be accurate :)

I know both this one and AeroMaster 72225, but both of them show P-39Q with standard OD tail, while on the pictures I mentioned above (#11) the tails look freshly repainted - perhaps in red.

Cheers

Michael