Tool recommendations required for a Punch set, Chisels and Tweezers please

Gorby

Thanks for all your replies – I have now bought all the stuff I need. :thanks:

I currently have a little spare dosh. As I'm trying to get more into scratch building I want to use it for tools rather than kits and to this end there are a few things that I would like such as:

A punch set – RP Toolz would be great, but well out of my price range. I have been using one of those things that you use to punch holes in leather belts, but this isn't ideal as it's difficult to locate in the correct position. They may be good, but £150 for the RP Toolz punches that I would need is significantly more than I am willing to stretch to. I may be deluded but I seem to recall that @BIG X bought a cheaper set – are they any good Steve? The hole punch that I have is okay for producing small circular disks, but I need something that will punch a nice neat hole through sheet styrene without distorting or splitting the plastic. Does such a thing exist for a reasonable price?

I've just noticed that Tamiya have a punch, It doesn't look cheap, but at least you can buy the cutty bits as and when you need them. 

After having a look at the Tamiya punch, they aren't suitable for what I need and grossly overpriced.

Tweezers – my best pair are from Mrs Gorby's cast offs, but they require too much pressure to hold them together, which is obviously not good for delicate bits. I did buy a set a couple of years ago but I don't have much feeling in my fingers tips, which means I have difficulty applying the correct pressure – a little too much pressure and the points often twist and the part is headed for orbit. Someone in the 'What have you purchased' thread mentioned that they have an excellent pair, but they cost £50, this out of my price bracket as well - is it possible to get something good for £20 - £25 maximum (cheaper would be better). I may be able to stretch to £50 if it's for a set.  

I would appreciate any advice regarding the above.

Thanks for looking - Gorby

Edited by Gorby
alteration

Dental tools is a very good suggestion.  For really fine scalpels etc try ophthalmology tools. The majority of my most-used everyday tools seem to be ex-laboratory or surgery.

For tweezers try here the ideal-tek are the ones I use most, the best of which is the curved 7.s which tend not to send things off at supersonic speed as the tips twist.

I'm sure you have already, but are screwdrivers like these the type you've been trying to sharpen?  If not, try the older steel types, especially the thin electrician's ones as they should hold an edge quite well.

Punches are invariably expensive.  I have a Waldon set that are the most expensive modelling tool I own.  They are however invaluable for scratchbuilding, I wouldn't be without them.

Edited by Vicarage Vee
  • Thanks 1

Have a look on Hobbylink Japan for chisels (and other tools). They generally carry some decent quality stuff from the likes of GSI, Tamiya, Wave, etc.

https://hlj.com/search/go?ts=custom&w=chisel

For tweezers, one thing that helps avoid the 'twisting' issue is to make sure the arms are sufficiently broad, and therefore have enough stiffness to keep them aligned.

https://hlj.com/search/go?lbc=hobbylink&method=and&p=Q&ts=custom&uid=964234397&w=tweezers&af=selectitemtype%3atools

J.

• Thanks 1

Having a wife that's a beauty therapist helps as she has shown me the joy of the beauty wholesaler/suppliers.  Tweezers are much cheaper here than the high street or electronics suppliers (saying that bought two decent pairs from TK Maxx for £1.99 each yesterday) plus the range of nail buffers and sanding sticks is far far cheaper and better than any modelling supplier I've ever seen.  Then you've got disposable brushes, eyelash glue applicators, surgical spirit, acetone, latex gloves to name a few bits too.

Did a quick check for such places in Coventry and there seems to be loads! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply, you have given me plenty of things to think about. After spending some time looking around I've found and bought a couple of Trumpeter chisels, so I'll remove that from my original post.

:thanks:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BIG X said:

This is the one I bought and I use it quite a bit

Thanks for taking the time to reply Steve. I remembered that you'd bought a punch, but I could remember which type – perhaps I should have paid for the memory upgrade, mine seems to be faulty. That looks ideal for cutting disks, but probably less ideal for cutting accurately positioned holes, which is what I find I now need to do. Drilling through thin styrene doesn't always lead to perfect holes unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply Steve. I remembered that you'd bought a punch, but I could remember which type – perhaps I should have paid for the memory upgrade, mine seems to be faulty. That looks ideal for cutting disks, but probably less ideal for cutting accurately positioned holes, which is what I find I now need to do. Drilling through thin styrene doesn't always lead to perfect holes unfortunately.

Hi Gorby - try these for size - it says for leather / gaskets etc - but I borrowed one from a friend and it makes lovely clean holes in styrene - the leading edge is very sharp - between the two systems you would have all bases covered...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/QLOUNI-Punches-Leather-Gaskets-Plastic/dp/B0799LQN9G/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1550652490&sr=1-5&keywords=hollow+punch+set

I know what you mean about 'drilling' though. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @BIG X and @bmwh548 

Steve those leather punch things look perfect for what I need, although I've gone for a set with smaller sizes . I may get a set for larger holes at some point in the future, so thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

After looking at a a few tweezers reviews, I've decided to go for Tamiya's own, which seem to be a good compromise with quality and price.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gorby said:

What sacrilege is this? Someone saying they have all the tools they need?

surely that’s not possible ever!

• Haha 3

As my previous insensitivity seems to have caused deep upset with several members, I will amend my previous statement to:

Thanks for your replies – I have now bought all the stuff I need on this particular spending frenzy – more tools and associated paraphernalia will be purchased as required or (more likely) when I'm bored and feel the need for a little retail therapy.

(Anyone who has been traumatised by my previous outburst of unreasonable contentment, will find all the help and support they need here.)

Please Note: no finances have been harmed in the process of this tool procurement.

Satisfied? <_<

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Shocking! Some people eh!

If you were to be just possibly tempted into redistributing some money at some point in the future.... this might be useful

It does depend what sort of scratchbuilding you are doing of course and it's the sort of tool that divides opinion between loving it, thinking it's not necessary and coming up with a homemade solution.

I'm happy I bought one though, repeated lengths, especially really small ones, are so much easier and quicker and less tedious.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Vicarage Vee said:

If you were to be just possibly tempted into redistributing some money at some point in the future.... this might be useful

Lead me not into temptation - get thee behind me Santa Satan! :devil:

Oh no, yet another stuff buying site to lure me in. :wall:

I am weak. :sad:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Gorby said:

If you want to drill clean holes in very thin media try sandwiching it between two thicker pieces.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Rogue705 said:

@Gorby Which Tamiya tweezers did you go for? I'm at wits end with my tweezers, orbit city here :angry:

I went for this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAMIYA-74048-HG-Straight-Tweezers-Tools-Accessories/331494897806?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&amp;_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

and this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAMIYA-74052-Decal-Tweezers-Tools-Accessories/332163891328?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&amp;_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They haven't been delivered yet so I don't know if they are okay. I chose the high grade (HG) ones because they looked less likely to twist. I'll let you know if they fit the bill when they arrive.

In other news:

The chisels are excellent – very sharp.

The punches aren't as good quality as I had hoped, the three largest sizes I had to sharpen, but having said that I've found them very useful.

23 minutes ago, Gorby said:

I went for this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAMIYA-74048-HG-Straight-Tweezers-Tools-Accessories/331494897806?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&amp;_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

and this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAMIYA-74052-Decal-Tweezers-Tools-Accessories/332163891328?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&amp;_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They haven't been delivered yet so I don't know if they are okay. I chose the high grade (HG) ones because they looked less likely to twist. I'll let you know if they fit the bill when they arrive.

In other news:

The chisels are excellent – very sharp.

The punches aren't as good quality as I had hoped, the three largest sizes I had to sharpen, but having said that I've found them very useful.

Thanks Gorby, will await your review 🙂

On 23/02/2019 at 15:51, Rogue705 said:

Thanks Gorby, will await your review 🙂

The tweezers arrived today and my first impression are VERY favourable. Because the metal is quite thick, I was concerned that they would be quite heavy and require significant pressure to close – but I was wrong on both accounts. I've tried a tiny object to test it's ping-off-into-infinityness quality – I found that there's no twisting at all, even when I use a lot of pressure.

I've not had chance to use to decal tweezers yet, but I'm very pleased with the others and very tempted to get the angled ones as well.

Highly recommended.

• Like 1

@Gorby if you want a useful pair of tweezers, get yourself some of the reverse action type (unserrated). Once you've got the hang of 'em you'll have few problems.

HOWEVER! They can't help with your favorite brother in law, for that you need straight jacket and hemostats.....:wicked:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PhoenixII said:

get yourself some of the reverse action type (unserrated).

I have got a few reverse action tweezers but after trying them and not getting one with them, I usually just use them to hold small items for painting.

As far as least favourite brother in law is concerned, what I really need is a 'go away you're not welcome' sign and an industrial strength cattle prod.