Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Duncan B

Masterbox 1/72 Mk.1 Female 'Gaza Modification'

Recommended Posts

I was in two minds whether to post my completed Mk.1 in here as there is an obvious mistake on display as well as my lack of AFV building skills. Next time I'll read the instructions before I get to the painting stage! Once I spotted my howler I didn't spend much time on the painting and finishing, shame really as it is a well detailed little kit.

Anyhow, here it is, built straight out of the dreadful, collapsing end opening box (which is the reason I built it in the first place as I couldn't sell it in a 2 dimensional box so thought 'why not?'). No laughing.

 

IMG_5227-M.jpg

IMG_5228-M.jpg

IMG_5230-M.jpg

 

Duncan B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really well painted and weathered, especially for the scale.

 

I looked at other pictures online to try to figure out your mistake... still don't know what it is. Are the tracks backwards?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good to me too mate, I can't see any mistake... is it the wrong way up? :lol: 

 

Cheers,

 

Stew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your sponsons are on the wrong sides; ie they are back to front, with the escape door opening to the front rather than to the rear.

Other than that it looks nicely done

Can you not crack the sponsons off and re-place them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clearly the one off prototype of special withdrawal tank which was not taken further.  Your model is great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Your sponsons are on the wrong sides; ie they are back to front, with the escape door opening to the front rather than to the rear.

Other than that it looks nicely done

Can you not crack the sponsons off and re-place them?

That is indeed the problem. When I was a building it I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and fitted the sponsons on the wrong sides so they ended up facing backwards. By the time I noticed they were set solid (in fact I'd already started painting it) and the fit is that good that there were no slight gaps to take advantage of. I did have a half hearted attempt but Plastic Weld is good stuff!

It was a 'throw away' build anyway as it was stock I couldn't sell due to the box so nothing lost other than a few hours work. I can recommend the Masterbox kit though based on the nice detail and the parts fit (even backwards). The only thing I wasn't keen on was the vinyl track which let the rest of the parts down.

 

Duncan B 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are replacement tracks available

 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/JKT72001

 

tracks with grouser spuds

 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/JKT72002

 

replacement guns (female)

 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/JKT72011

 

replacement guns (male)

 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/JKT72006

 

and Lewis guns for MKII

 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/JKT72012

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Your sponsons are on the wrong sides

I didn't even know what sponsons were until i'd googled them,cheers Black Knight you learn something new every day (i've always called them turrets!)......Great job Duncan.....

Edited by Vince1159

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Duncan B said:

. . . When I was a building it I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and fitted the sponsons on the wrong sides. . ..  

Done that a couple of times with the old Airfix kit, but I caught it on in time to change them over

Sometimes, sometimes, if you flow some Plastic Weld onto an already glued joint the P/W will dissolve the joint so you can pull it apart, but you need to work fairly quickly, before it sets again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yorkshire man said:

There are replacement tracks available

 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/JKT72001

 

tracks with grouser spuds

 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/JKT72002

 

replacement guns (female)

 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/JKT72011

 

replacement guns (male)

 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/JKT72006

 

and Lewis guns for MKII

 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/JKT72012

Those tracks really do look nice but at more than my retail price for the actual kit I'll pass this time (I am a tight  Scotsman after all!). If I decide to have another go at one I could be tempted to add the tracks and guns if my skills improve enough to justify the extra cost.

 

Duncan B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tighter than a ducks posterior vent 🦆:sheep:

Edited by Yorkshire man
wrong emoji

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2019 at 9:28 AM, Black Knight said:

Done that a couple of times with the old Airfix kit, but I caught it on in time to change them over

Sometimes, sometimes, if you flow some Plastic Weld onto an already glued joint the P/W will dissolve the joint so you can pull it apart, but you need to work fairly quickly, before it sets again.

 

Another technique is to dab oven cleaner along the join, it will attack the 'welded' plastic. But it will also make the regular plastic brittle, so you can end up with a jigsaw. Too late now. Nice model though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...