SIAI Marchetti SF-260M, BAF, Planet models, 1/48

Silenoz

My Contribution will be the SIAI Marchetti SF-260M, a military trainer as it is used in the Belgian airforce (air component). We have 32 planes, that were stationed in Goestenhoven (1969), and were relocated to Beauvechain/Bevekom after that base closed. The Belgian red devils (the aerobatic stuntteam, not the soccer players) perform with 4 of these.

To find a replacement for the Stampe-Vertongen SV4B which offered unsurpassed flying characteristics a study was launched in 1968. When the Siai-Marchetti SF.260 was found to be the ideal replacement trainer declared the winner a first order for 36 SF260M's was placed on January 24th, 1969 which were delivered between late 1969 and 1971. Initially the aircraft were taken on charge by the Elementaire Vliegschool (EVS)/Ecole de Pilotage Elementaire (Elementary Flying School) at Goetsenhoven. In October 1991 the Belgian government ordered nine additional SF260D's as attrition replacement. On September 12th, 1996 all flying training units of the Belgian Air Force were consolidated at Beauvechain airbase as the 1st Training Wing Training, thus ending 75 years of flying activities at Goetsenhoven. In 1999 the Belgian Air Force started a study to replace the somewhat absurd 'Vietnam'-camouflage with day-glow high-visibility markings and after some tests a bright yellow color scheme was introduced. Also since 1999 all SF260Ms were fitted with a new set of wings during the routine maintenance programme and later an avionics improvement was introduced. In 2008 a new wider cockpit canopy was first tested out on ST-34 and will be introduced progressively on all remaining aircraft.
The famous 'Swallows' demonstration team made this aircraft (which from some angles resembles a WWII fighter) very popular with the public. The team was formed in 1973 and continued to thrill many spectators at air shows all over Europe until it was disbanded in early 1984. In 1995 a new 'Swallows' team was formed at Goetsenhoven, making their debut on June 28th. Unfortunately on December 5th, 1997 their made their last performance. Since then a new team "Hardship Red" was formed by N° 5 Squadron CO "Jief" Ballon presenting 4 Marchetti’s in a very tight formation display. As of the 2011 season Hardship Red became the "Red Devils" with their aircraft painted likewise. (with thx to Daniel Brackx)

More about the general history can be found [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIAI-Marchetti_SF.260]here[/url]

The kit:

113604-10941-pristine.jpg

the parts (from the net, why reinvent hot water), the PE parts have changed and are precolored, pic will be added soon.

pla_194_pack.jpg

pla_194_parts1.jpg

pla_194_parts2.jpg

pla_194_decals.jpg

The version I want to make:

plt194_6.png

At the moment I'm mostly cleaning parts, and waiting for some missing parts. Meanwhile I have time to look for references and detailing the cockpit a bit....

Edited by Silenoz
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

And finally some first work onto this one... A slow start, due to other kits that I'm busy with, garden work, waiting for reference book, difficulty to find descent pictures of the cockpit and sidewalls...

The book that I ordered is:

cover%2008.jpg

Though interesting it gives more info about the status of the first batch of aircraft delivered, and the walk around section gives a some detailed pictures, but then you can guess a bit as to where the detail is located...

597393-11032-93.jpg

Above is the reworked part, and below the original. There isn't that much detail to the sides, but it is not a flat as shown..

• Like 2

The SF260 is a beautiful aircraft and always wished that some mainstream manufacturer will come up with an injection moulded plastic kit.

I have a 1/72 scale resin kit stashed away and not brave enough to start on it.

Look forward to learning from this build.

• Like 1

Mated the hull sides, the wings and the tail. When mating the hull to the main wings, there was a little difference in width. So i glued the front and back first, added a spacer in the middle before gluing those. The squares in front of the nose will disappear and be replaced by styrene.

604266-11032-36.jpg

604265-11032-77.jpg

604264-11032-99.jpg

604267-11032-26.jpg

The cockpit can still be mounted like this, thus... more sanding ahead and ready to detail the latter

• Like 2

Some more progress... wasn't able to put on some paint, But I managed to deal with some details that need some reinforcements, like the tail and wingtip tanks...

First I make a needle from a copper wire, in this case 0.8mm

spacer.png

next I drill some holes ø0.9mm in the wings:

spacer.png

next I place that needle into one of the holes, making sure it sticks out only slightly:

spacer.png

Next I position my mating part carefully, and when I think the position is ok, I press it slightly onto the needle... that gives a pointy marking inside the mating part. There you can drill the first hole into this part.

.spacer.png

Next I cut some copper rod to length so that the mating part touches the wingtip (still no glue), and I repeat the proces for the other hole. When satisfied glue the copper pins in and the part to its place.

endresult so far:

spacer.png

Till next...

• Like 2

Fitted the nose to the hull. It wasn't a perfect fit, so I aligned the top part to reduce filling.

608065-11032-60.jpg

en then filled the sides on the nose and bottom on the hull to close the gaps:

608066-11032-92.jpg

608069-11032-15.jpg

608067-11032-73.jpg

When I started this project, I tried to contact Planet models with regards to a missing piece for the front nose gear door... Utter silence was the answer so far... thus, first building this one, then the chin inlet and other details that needed to be removed...

• Like 3

sst, just hope to get this one finished in time, still have a lot to do (build and restore) in the interior... Think the canopy will be half-finished in time..., no framing inside

Edited by Silenoz

some progress... less then expected...

The IP had the small border on top damaged.. so I cut off the details, sanded it flush and made a new top from paper:

612450-11032-68.jpg

612451-11032-45.jpg

I also started cutting out the vacform canopies..

613045-11032-82.jpg

613046-11032-58.jpg

There are some small scratches in these, can these be polished out? Still need to add the rubber sealings, mirrors, knobs and open/close handles...

And there I lost a lot off time... the dent on the back of the main canopy wasn't needed, and on the rel aircraft the sliding canopy sits pretty obvious on top of the tail as a third guide...

so a lot of time went into searching for info, and I hate to say, but a lot of detailfoto's that aren't about the IP or the complete aircraft can't be found, and that for an aircraft with 50 years of service...

So I went with a bit longer tail, also some reduced section to let the canopy pass, I added the rubbers to close things of and a basic shape to represent canopy slides... While I was at it, the square blocks on front of the canopy were airscoops, so I replaced these too...

613043-11032-44.jpg

613042-11032-57.jpg

Finally I made a new part for the front wheelbaycover:

613044-11032-41.jpg

To be continued...

Edited by Silenoz
  • Like 4

on to the canopy works:

added the "rubber" sealing to the front window:

613544-11032-99.jpg

and a border and the mechanics to open/close the canopy, with exception of the handles:

613545-11032-74.jpg

613546-11032-66.jpg

the sheen is from polishing (had some dips of CA while trying to glue the rim and some scratches from cutting it out) I hope to get is clear again with "future" or another product

• Like 2